Inconvenient sump capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pilot takes 5.7qt at oil/from filter change (as per manual). In real life it usually takes 5.3-5.4qt to get it to full. I find this capacity to be extremely inconvenient. Buying a separate quart completely defeats the purpose and kills the financial benefit or the MIR. Ao how do you guys deal with [censored] sump capacity? Buy an extra 5qt jug and use it for filling up over 5qt? Will that matter much if 5qt and additional 0.5qt will be differnet brands? (Say 5qt mobil1 and 0.5PP)?

That's when it helps to run multiple cars on the exact same oil, then you just buy a bunch of 5 quart jugs and use whatever you need to fill each one properly. I hate the fact that buying oil in single bottles costs considerably more than in the 5 quart size. For instance, for a long time M1 at Walmart was $22.88 for 5 quarts, so that worked out to $4.58 per quart, but if you bought it by the quart it was $7 to $8! Seems like a huge ripoff to me.

For my situation the 5 quart size works out well because both my Corvette and BMW take 7 quarts, so 3 jugs works out to 2 oil changes worth, plus a little extra for top off. For my Honda, 5 quarts works out well too because it takes 4 to start and leaves me one more for top off. That's why I dislike the 4.4L size available for most oils in Canada, that size is extremely inconvenient for me.

It is what it is. I don’t let things like that bug me.

Buy a extra quart, put half in and save the other half for the next change.

That's a bummer. If it was me, I'd put in 5qt, drive for a day, then check cold. As long as it was above say halfway on the dipstick I'd call it a day. If it was below the half mark I'd dump in half a quart, measure after another run, again cold. If it was perfect I'd probably just start using 6 quarts and call it a day--but if adding that half quart brought it "lots" above top mark I'd just live with having a half quart lying around. I'm not a stickler for perfection.

If it was me and I had to put in 6 quarts at a time, I'd buy one box of 6 quarts and eat that cost. Yeah I'm wasting what, $10 doing that? but when I do an oil change, the ease pays for itself. Call me lazy but sometimes a dollar ain't worth picking up. Buy one case of oil, and then I can buy 5qt containers when on sale. One case will stretch out over six changes, right?

Just my opinion.

I have a 'stash' of 5 qt jugs, so I use that for the remainders. (Also for topping up my older oil burners.)

I never had an issue adding a half-quart of a different brand. I DO try to keep viscosities about the same.

++++++++++++++++

I was just thinking about this very situation recently. Made me nostalgic for the 'old days' when oil was purchased in quarts...and cost USD 77 cents/qt on sale for Exxon!
crazy.gif

Kind of the same on cars that take 4.2-4.5 quarts. But a convenient 5qt jug, still have some left. Then can't use the jug to return used oil (this inconvenience also exists with using quarts).

I just hold on to the jug until next change. Use the rest. It won't go bad assuming it's closed tight. Dose some bloxygen in there if you're too concerned.

Most here (Oz) sell the standard 5L jug, but Penrite sell theirs as a 6L jug for just the reason you say - slightly larger sump size. Yet their prices for 6 L are still good and comparable to the other 5 L jugs.

I'm sure the 6L (6.3 Qt) jug brings them a few extra sales.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
6 quarts will be just fine.

+1

+2

Following my 5 quart jug thread I got two six packs of quarts … that will keep me sorted for a good while.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
My pilot takes 5.7qt at oil/from filter change (as per manual). In real life it usually takes 5.3-5.4qt to get it to full. I find this capacity to be extremely inconvenient. Buying a separate quart completely defeats the purpose and kills the financial benefit or the MIR. Ao how do you guys deal with [censored] sump capacity? Buy an extra 5qt jug and use it for filling up over 5qt? Will that matter much if 5qt and additional 0.5qt will be differnet brands? (Say 5qt mobil1 and 0.5PP)?

Ironically our 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer also takes 5.7 quarts for a oil/filter change. Since I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30 I use a 5 qt jug to make the .7 qt portion. It's WAY cheaper than buying 1 qt bottles. I've been buying Mobil 1 at Walmart during the Mobil 1 rebates and I've also caught some of Walmart's "price roll backs" at the same time which reduces the price of a 5 qt jug to less than $11. Since pouring oil into the 2.3EB is tricky I bought some small plastic measuring buckets from Home Depot which work great with a wide base funnel.

Whimsey

It doesn't have to be the same oil.

Buy a quart of whatever $2 oil works in your book, use 1/2 now, 1/2 later

I don't buy into any of that "YOU CAN'T MIX OILS!!!" bull-malarkey....

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Use some of the drained oil to top it off to full.

You are kidding, right? Used oil, drained into a dirty oil container, and you want to put some back in? No way, don't top it off at all, or even bother changing it at that point.

I agree it is annoying. Rav4 is 4.75 quarts, just make it 5.

For your issue, just go to 5.5 quarts. While the mobil 1 rebate is going on, I would buy two 5 quart jugs. One for the majority of the next change, the second 5 quart to be used for the .5 quarts. Then, next change go buy another 5 quart container. dump the 4.5 quarts in you still have, and now 1 quart from the new purchase. Not rocket science. Now you will have 4 quarts for next time........

That annoys me too! My FRS takes 5.4L and I just don't like having to buy another litre of oil, especially when it's so much more expensive. Toyota 0W20 is the cheapest synthetic in Canada (in my area anyway), even the 1L bottles. So I just get 5L of that and save the other half of the 1L bottle for the next oil change.

I wish both my cars used the same oil. Then I could buy two 5L jugs, put 4.5L in the Jetta and 5.4 into the FRS with a little left over for top-up.

Last edited:
I kept a couple of the old Quaker State
clear quart bottles and I have a half dozen
funnels laying around. I can refill one if I get anal
about the 'being exact'.
Most all engines these days, and certainly those of
a few years ago, can easily handle a half quart over.
Doesn't have the be exactly .7 or .4.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: parshisa

Are you whining???? Don't blame anyone if something happens after you only put in what your jug holds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back