Can you trade in 2 cars for new vehicle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a car dealership take 2 vehicles (both with 200K + miles) trade ins on a new vehicle ?

Or is it just one trade in per new vehicle purchase ?

21.gif

you can do multiple.. At old smaller dealerships you could trade in almost anything of value, boats, ATV, guns.. you name it.. Today, I don't think you can do that at large dealers.. however to my knowledge you can trade in multiple cars.

When I sold cars we took two cars in trade for one car, many times in fact. That was a great deal for us.

No disrespect intended typically if a car had 200K or more miles on it they'd pay scrap value, unless the car was a real gem and then they'd pay a little under what a wholesaler would give them. Bottom line is 99% of the time people with high mile cars were better off selling them privately.

Dealership can do whatever they want--it's all about how they can make money off you (no offense meant to them, but that's how it works). Dealership that I usually do biz with took in a travel trailer once on a trade. I doubt they do that all that often (they might never again), but it's all about how much profit they can make.

At 200k I'd probably just private sale, or even donate, depending upon what it books for.

I agree. I just don't want tire kickers from Craigslist offering me $200 and wasting my time...

Maybe sell it on BITOG...?

I found some dealers on cargurus.com way up in north Texas that gave me much more for my trade than the Austin dealers.

I ended up trading a 2011 Rav4 sport with 100k miles almost even for a 2011 Sonata with 20k miles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
When I sold cars we took two cars in trade for one car, many times in fact. That was a great deal for us.

No disrespect intended typically if a car had 200K or more miles on it they'd pay scrap value, unless the car was a real gem and then they'd pay a little under what a wholesaler would give them. Bottom line is 99% of the time people with high mile cars were better off selling them privately.

Well sure.
Common sense should indicate that no 200K+ car is going to bring much on trade.
If these cars are fully functional, have been maintained well and look decent in and out then the OP would be money ahead selling them himself.
There is a hassle factor involved in doing that, though, so the marginal yield might not be worth the marginal headaches to the OP.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I found some dealers on cargurus.com way up in north Texas that gave me much more for my trade than the Austin dealers.

I ended up trading a 2011 Rav4 sport with 100k miles almost even for a 2011 Sonata with 20k miles.

I have had excellent luck selling private party, Clean them up and list them. Its tax season ! Millions of people that cant get loans are looking to buy cash in hand this time of year !!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I agree. I just don't want tire kickers from Craigslist offering me $200 and wasting my time...

I hear ya. Tire kickers and selling a car go hand in hand. There's ways of dealing with them and having some fun at the same time. You can also screen them too, that's if you want to bother at all. LOL

Dealer will give you close to nothing. He'll take money out of the margin on the new vehicle (plus incentives and part of holdback) and pretend he's giving you 2000 bucks when he's giving you 200 bucks.

Private sale, unfortunately.

Up here a 200k car will fetch about $500 at a dealer. I got $1700 for a 250k vehicle selling it outright on Craigslist.

I have actually traded 2 vehicles for one and walked away with a check. Of course the dealer made a bunch off the deal. I would never trade in a car with over 200K. Best to just sell privately or give away.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I was going to say, tire kickers offering $200 is better than the $50-$100 a dealer is going to offer for any 200K car.

For that kind of money I'd junk it. The last thing I'd want to do is have a tire kicker calling back crying after the $200 sale that he has a problem with the car. Even after spelling it out and having him sign off that the car was "sold as is for repairs." I'd want more skin in the game for that hassle.

A dealer here has two Harleys that they took in on trade. I agree about selling on CL. It should be easy to sell it for KBB Private Party value on there. Since that's what the buyers look at. I wanted to sell a little over that since it was in mint condition but that wasn't going to fly with the good buyers. I did have one that was anxious to buy at top dollar but he seemed shady as all get up. Plus he nitpicked a few small things. So I passed on that one. Sold it for a little less to a legit buyer. They said it was worth every penny I was asking but they had a certain amount to work with. Half saved up by the daughter who the car was for. They didn't say one negative thing about it and gave all complements.

I was offered $200 on a trade in for my 2003 Civic with 275,000km. Ended up selling it privately for $3600. Sometimes dealing with tire kickers is worth it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The last thing I'd want to do is have a tire kicker calling back crying after the $200 sale that he has a problem with the car. Even after spelling it out and having him sign off that the car was "sold as is for repairs."

LOL
That's exactly why I never sell stuff (computers, cars, etc) to people I know. On the rare exceptions, I make very, VERY clear that once it leaves my property it belongs to them now. I don't want to see it or hear about it again.

May I suggest one of the new techs or some down on money nurse?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

May I suggest one of the new techs or some down on money nurse?

????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back