California AR-15 Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those in CA, which route are you going? I have 2 AR-15s and don't want to make featureless so I am going to use ARMaglock. Looks like June 2018 is the date of decision. Appreciate any advice.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
For those in CA, which route are you going? I have 2 AR-15s and don't want to make featureless so I am going to use ARMaglock. Looks like June 2018 is the date of decision. Appreciate any advice.

Can you explain for the rest of us before this turns p*litical and disappears?

edit: Oh, AR-Mag-Lock... got it. https://www.armaglock2.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for posting link Spasm3...should have done that. Happy Sunday nonetheless.

Use a bullet button. Take the spring out and make a spacer made out of a spent 22 lr case to replace the spring it will take some fitting to make it lock the mag in to the mag well.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Can you explain for the rest of us before this turns p*litical and disappears?

edit: Oh, AR-Mag-Lock... got it. https://www.armaglock2.com/

Unfortunately your assessments were accurate, and I had to lock this down for a bit to remove a bunch of commentary that was either political, "legal advice" that could turn people into felons, etc.

The question was simple, the answers should relate to that in the context of the solution only.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Nobody (from Cali) has answered OP's question. What other options do you have?

Exactly. Moving away, hiding in an attic, ignoring laws are all things that are not within the context here, and BITOG is not a place for firearms related legal advice or advisement on actions that could have people violating laws.

I am reopening this thread to allow the appropriate discussion of this and other solutions. As I understand it, this device turns an AR into a system that must break the action, causing it to be opened up like an o/u or sxs shotgun to drop the magazine. This is apparently compliant with the current requirements, and per the maglock site, they say that some vendors are using this to assure CA compliance. They also weasel word about if it truly is. Consulting your own lawyer is the only basis for such advice.

Upon first glance, it doesn't look like the most inconvenient way to go, since the mag can still be dropped - it's not like it's permanently bolted in or something. It still requires the action to be opened, which seems to align to CA law. If it truly removes that "evil feature", it may allow others to be retained, like flash hiders, adjustable stocks, etc. since this itself can be removed/reverted without rendering the firearm inoperable, time will tell if it passes a sniff test.

I understand JHZR2. You are correct about the situation here in CA. Was just curious what others in CA were doing to stay compliant. Thanks for keeping open for me. Take care all.

For ones purchased before December xx, 2017...Forgot date. No more allowed except "featureless" as they same...ranch style rifles essentially.

Last edited:
So, have to register (and allowed to keep as is), or make featureless, or convert to a magazine locking type system...JHRZR2 explained it well.

Last edited:
Looking at the site a bit more (unfortunately I have no doubt similar requirements will be put upon us in NJ, so spending a few minutes to learn isn't the worst idea), the site videos are useful.

Especially the patriot pin coupled with Maglock...

And this one about the install process:

What's most concerning about any of these is the matter of clearing. Not sure I like this logical process or procedure, tactical use aside or irrelevant to range use, its still an inconvenience...

Haven't looked through their site fully, but they do claim full compliance:

Quote:
In an effort to address some consumers concerns related to our website statement “potentiality complaint”… “Potentially compliant” does NOT refer to California as it IS compliant within this state, but it does refer to other states and municipalities with detachable magazine restrictions.

In NJ the only way we accept such claims is by letter from NJSP. Not sure how it works in CA.

Last edited:
Yes, one of my concerns on the mag locking route. Watched those videos as well. We shall see for sure.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Especially the patriot pin coupled with Maglock...

Wow...... looks like "problem solved"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back