K&N PS-7022 Cartridge Pics 4,865 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty boring really. Super straight clean and solid. Out of my wife's 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe today. Car has 181k on it, no chain or valve noise ever. Has been on M1HM 5-20 for a long time and I converted it over to Valvoline Full Synthetic 5-30 with the same filter. Finally talked her in to my Valvoline 5-30 because she's tired of listening to cold engine piston slap. It's a lot quieter cold on the Valvoline Synthetic 5-30. I think she'll like it.

I may add I was going to include a pic of the seam, but it's assembled so nicely I couldn't even find the seam.

Also drained and filled the trans with Kia SPIII fluid, transfer case and rear diff with Valvoline Synpower 75-90. The whole fleet is on Valvoline Synthetics now, which satisfies my OCD nicely. Enjoy the pics.

qn8jo7.jpg

33kw5rl.jpg

2qiv5gj.jpg

Last edited:
Yea it's the reddish colored media. The last thing I read on efficiency was 98% at 35 microns which is comparable to the OEM Kia/Hyundai 3C100. With as many Kia and Hyundai Lambda V-6 engines I hear slapping timing chains in my shop, I like using K&N because of their self proclaimed "better flow rates". I tried them in my OHC timing chain engines (vs belt)(3.3 Hyundai, 2.4 Kia and 4.6 DOHC Ford) and all are quiet as a mouse on startup. So they must flow well I suppose.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Wow, looks like it just came out the box. Great looking filter.

It did sit on the "pig mat" for an hour or so before I took pics, so it did dry out a bit for the pics.

Quiet at start-up just means a well functioning ADBV. Every filter made will give total flow at start-up, unless the engine is revved to redline 1 sec after start-up.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Is there any documentation on K&N's 'better flow rate'?

Nothing published that I've ever found other than third party tests for some common sizes, such as the HP-1004 that's spec'd for Mitsubishi and Kia/Hyundai products, and HP-2010 which fits Ford Modular engines. Private testing that I have read has shown around 11 GPM whereas an OEM Kia 504 or Mitsubishi 072 filter will be about 8GPM, sometimes as low as 5 GPM. I don't know what a Motorcraft FL820S flows, and I'm sure that all aftermarket oil filter brands will vary but based on a few limited tests done by some eccentric Lancer Evo guys and Ford Modular guys I'm ok with running K&N's on my junk. I drag race the Marauder in the summer. So I like having a thick can also. 6,500 RPM on tepid oil.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Since you like valvoline, keep in mind that Maxlife can be used in transmissions that call for SPIII
smile.gif

Thought about it this time, I've got 12 quarts of Maxlife ATF and 10 quarts of SPIII in the garage still. I've been spill & filling the Hyundai with SPIII every 30k for 100k miles so far, since it's what I've always done. Maybe next time I'll dump the Maxlife in there. I've been using the Maxlife in the Ford cars and it's been wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back