Valvoline Modern Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Valvoline Modern Engine oil at Walmart. What is the story on this oil? It was priced at $39.99/5qts. I'm not sure that it will sell at that price. But maybe? I didn't see anything on the bottle suggesting that it could handle extended drain intervals.

Just guessing it’s their oil that will be SN+. Valvoline stumbles somewhat on their marketing. It’s likely a good oil but with Advanced Synthetic at a cheaper price I cannot think of any reason VME would be better. If they said it was for longer oci or something then we would know.

I’m a fan of Valvoline but this one has me scratching my head.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Just saw Valvoline Modern Engine oil at Walmart. What is the story on this oil? It was priced at $39.99/5qts. I'm not sure that it will sell at that price. But maybe? I didn't see anything on the bottle suggesting that it could handle extended drain intervals.

They took a lesson from Mobil 1 AP now their learning the lesson their oil isn't selling either.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: otis24

They took a lesson from Mobil 1 AP now their learning the lesson their oil isn't selling either.

Mobil1 AP touts one year or 20k miles oci. VME states none of that. Expensive? Yes and we all have our choices when it comes to the wallet. You can stay with Purelube.

You will know soon if it sells, since Wal-Mart will discontinue and discount it if sales are slow.

At that point a swarm of BITOG members will buy the remaining stock and claim what a great oil it is.
smile.gif

Exactly PimTac. Spot on.

And car51 I'm with ya. I will roll with VWB or Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Not $40 oil. Stupid pricing.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly PimTac. Spot on.

And car51 I'm with ya. I will roll with VWB or Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. Not $40 oil. Stupid pricing.

Thank you my friend.

Considering that latest voa of VAS just posted a day or so ago, anyone who uses it should be fully confident. I really like this latest formulation.

From the jug labeling it appears to be aimed at the GDI engines. No mention of OCIs or advantages over their other oils.

Mobil 1 and QSUD appear to have held their prices at Walmart, Pennzoil +$ 5

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Now here's the real question, would the engine blow up if you put it ina not modern engine?
Hmmm
It will blow up twice.

I'm going to offer up myself as a the sacrificial lamb and bought some for a VOA. Likely all marketing hype but spec sheet does look different enough from their advanced formulation to warrant a separate analysis. The specific claims targeting valve buildup is interesting considering it has a higher NOACK.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Now here's the real question, would the engine blow up if you put it ina not modern engine?
Hmmm

I suppose if you have an OHV flat lifter engine with an aggressive cam profile, this oil might not be a good idea. In those cases, an oil built for classic cars or race engines is the right choice because the additive package used high zinc and phosphorous.

VAS definitely looks more impressive..no idea what the base oils are though. I'm struggling to see how they are justifying 40 a 5 qt jug. Surely they aren't banking on marketing being that powerful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back