2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but wanted some advice on oil and transmission fluid for my new (old) 2002 WRX wagon from the experts here. I know lots of Subie guys run Rotella T6 5w30, but I'm skeptical because its diesel oil. I live in Hawaii, so the coldest it gets is about 65... brrrr
grin.gif
I drive about 50 mostly highway miles almost everyday for work but do enjoy some good spirited driving pretty frequently. I'm getting my car retuned this week (EBC, full turboback, and high flow filter mods) so wanted to properly prep the car for a little abuse by the tuner. Any advice is greatly appreciate. Have a good one!

Any 5W-40 HDEO OR Euro 5W-40 or 0W-40 will do the trick here.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 is rapidly becoming a favourite oil here.

Rotella T6 5W-40 is fine. Shell dropped the API rating because they kept the robust add pak that sports more Zn and Ph than API allows for automotive oils. There is a reason MANY Subie owners with tuned cars run Rotella - it's good oil for these engines.

The others mentioned above are good alternatives.

They do make an "all fleet" Rotella, but it has the weak API add pak.

If you are really going to lean on it, you might want to look at Chevron Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty). It's a very stout 30 grade.

But as old as that engine is, I'd be all over an xW-40. The clearances have opened up some with time and use...

The '02 takes incredibly well to tuning, from what I've read. How many miles? Original engine, turbo, etc.?

Is the upstream cat still installed? I've heard about these breaking up and taking out the turbo. An easy mod is to gut or remove the upstream cat. I assume you'll be doing this as a part of your turbo-back install, but if you weren't aware I'd definitely make this a part of that upgrade.

Most guys used to run Rotella T6 5W-40, not 5W-30, which is newer (myself included, in my previous STI). If I'm not mistaken, the new T6 5W-40 lost it's gas engine cert and is now only diesel-rated, now that they make a 5W-30, as well. I don't know anything about the new 5W-30.

Changing out your tranny fluid for Redline NS 75W-90 would be a good idea, though there are a billion threads on what works best. the RL NS worked better for me than the stock fluid and Motul Gear 300 in the tranny.

Motul Gear 300 has pretty much the best specs, from my previous research that is now 5 years old or so. Changing your diff fluids out for any decent synthetic will be leaps and bounds better than what most do, though. I just figure that $10/quart isn't much when the pumpkin only takes a quart. You'll likely never have to change the fluid after this.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

+1. I use Edge 0W-40 in my FA20DIT. It's my favORite oil.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Rotella T6 5W-40 is fine. Shell dropped the API rating because they kept the robust add pak that sports more Zn and Ph than API allows for automotive oils. There is a reason MANY Subie owners with tuned cars run Rotella - it's good oil for these engines.

The others mentioned above are good alternatives.

They do make an "all fleet" Rotella, but it has the weak API add pak.

If you are really going to lean on it, you might want to look at Chevron Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty). It's a very stout 30 grade.

But as old as that engine is, I'd be all over an xW-40. The clearances have opened up some with time and use...

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll give the T6 a try since it's nice and cheap. Forgot to mention, the car does have a JDM Ej205 swapped in with approx 50-60k on it not. Don't think that changes anything but forgot to throw it out there

Here's the quote from the Shell answer team re: HDEO's including T6:

Hi @dlundblad, our apologies for the delay in response! Some Shell Rotella products were previously API Sx rated to claim gasoline engine spec for HDDEO through the waiver process covering the use of high phosphorus content oil on dual-rated engines. However, upon the introduction of the newer generation API CK-4 & FA-4, this waiver was eliminated and stricter upper limits for phosphorus content took effect for the API Sx ratings (API SN, for example, requires Phosphorus content

Explains how they got there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
The '02 takes incredibly well to tuning, from what I've read. How many miles? Original engine, turbo, etc.?

Is the upstream cat still installed? I've heard about these breaking up and taking out the turbo. An easy mod is to gut or remove the upstream cat. I assume you'll be doing this as a part of your turbo-back install, but if you weren't aware I'd definitely make this a part of that upgrade.

Most guys used to run Rotella T6 5W-40, not 5W-30, which is newer (myself included, in my previous STI). If I'm not mistaken, the new T6 5W-40 lost it's gas engine cert and is now only diesel-rated, now that they make a 5W-30, as well. I don't know anything about the new 5W-30.

Changing out your tranny fluid for Redline NS 75W-90 would be a good idea, though there are a billion threads on what works best. the RL NS worked better for me than the stock fluid and Motul Gear 300 in the tranny.

Motul Gear 300 has pretty much the best specs, from my previous research that is now 5 years old or so. Changing your diff fluids out for any decent synthetic will be leaps and bounds better than what most do, though. I just figure that $10/quart isn't much when the pumpkin only takes a quart. You'll likely never have to change the fluid after this.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

+1. I use Edge 0W-40 in my FA20DIT. It's my favORite oil.
cheers3.gif

I have about 197k on the chassis but only about 50k on the swapped JDM EJ205 and unknown on the tranny (previous owner claims he replaced with a 04) Thanks for the info, but it already has the factory catless up pipe that came on the JDM cars so no need to worry about it falling apart. Going full catless since we don't have emissions out here in HI.

I'm leaning towards thicker than 0w40 since I never see cold temps, but I will look into the Castrol and see if I can find any deals.

Thanks for the help, I will search for the Redline or Motul 300. I can use the same gear oil for the transmission/front and rear diff right?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Here's the quote from the Shell answer team re: HDEO's including T6:

Hi @dlundblad, our apologies for the delay in response! Some Shell Rotella products were previously API Sx rated to claim gasoline engine spec for HDDEO through the waiver process covering the use of high phosphorus content oil on dual-rated engines. However, upon the introduction of the newer generation API CK-4 & FA-4, this waiver was eliminated and stricter upper limits for phosphorus content took effect for the API Sx ratings (API SN, for example, requires Phosphorus content

Explains how they got there
smile.gif

A little confused...so the T6 exceeds the phosphorus value so it's unsafe to use in gasoline cars? Or is it just that the standard changed so it is fine?

Have you had a catless car before? Are you strapped for cash? If you can afford it, go with a high-flow cat. Catless is freaking stinky. Whether its you, stopped in traffic, or EVERY SINGLE PERSON BEHIND YOU EVER, it will be appreciated.

Have you had a catless car before? Are you strapped for cash? If you can afford it, go with a high-flow cat. Catless is freaking stinky. Whether its you, stopped in traffic, or EVERY SINGLE PERSON BEHIND YOU EVER, it will be appreciated.

I believe the car has a ebay catless pipe on it right now. I haven't noticed any distinct stink from it yet...also my pops had a 89 F250 that was all catless. Didn't bother me at all

Since you're in Hawaii, I would suggest a 15W-40 HDEO. I use Supertech 15W-40 in our 9-2x (rebadged WRX) with very good results. It's dual-rated if that's a concern, and under $10 per gallon at your local Walmart.

As far as transmission fluid, assuming it's the 5-speed manual, I recommend Subaru 75W-90 High Performance Gear Oil (P/N SOA427V1700). You can use it in the gearbox and the rear differential (the front differential shares fluid with the gearbox). You'll need 4 quarts, and you can find it at your local dealer or even from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Max_D

I believe the car has a ebay catless pipe on it right now. I haven't noticed any distinct stink from it yet...also my pops had a 89 F250 that was all catless. Didn't bother me at all

My grandpa and his buddies had old trucks that stunk like [censored], too. Smelled fine while moving, but being behind them was not pleasant. Leaving Wicked Big Meet (Subaru meet) reminded me of that smell, as a ton of goobers were on the highway with their catless setups.

Even in my 20's I would yell at dorkus' who idled at meets and parking lots with catless setups, pumping out nothing but nasty fumes. Unless it's a dedicated race car or you're living in a very rural area, I can't see why anyone would run a catless setup. The power gains really aren't substantially higher than running at least one high-flow cat.

Diesel oil is what you put in the tank of a diesel engined vehicle. HDEO is the oil you are referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back