Going to Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to Denver for the first time at the end of the month.

I have relatives to see but that's no big deal as they're from my region and travel a lot and "come home" often.

As of now all I have planned is:
1) Rent a Chevrolet Malibu because it's the car they say is what a Saab would've been had Saab survived.
2) Go to a marijuana outlet and get a belly full of brownies
3) Then go drive up Pike's Peak.

Anybody have any Denver visit ideas?

Royal Gorge, Red Rock, head to Garden of the God's near Colorado Springs. The Denver Zoo.

lose #2 my
49.gif

Have fun with the traffic.

And don't overdo it on the edibles or you'll have a mental freak out and not be very happy.

Other than that, Denver is a big city like any other.. nothing really special.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm going to Denver for the first time at the end of the month.

I have relatives to see but that's no big deal as they're from my region and travel a lot and "come home" often.

As of now all I have planned is:
1) Rent a Chevrolet Malibu because it's the car they say is what a Saab would've been had Saab survived.
2) Go to a marijuana outlet and get a belly full of brownies
3) Then go drive up Pike's Peak.

Anybody have any Denver visit ideas?

Driving Pike's Peak, make sure your rental has the option to select "1" on the gears...or they won't let you up. You've got to be able to have it in 1st gear for engine braking on the way down....I've driven it, and it's steep and long. I recall reading on here some guy came down in 1st gear and 4000 rpm in an F150.

If you're going to do #2, do it AFTER you do #3. Seriously.

Garden of the Gods is an interesting area, but stop in Colorado Springs to find a cool restaurant along the way; drive further up Route 24 and you can turn off to get to the town of Cripple Creek. Gambling's legal if you're into that, and there is some interesting history (and ghost stories, if you're into that) to be found.

If you feel like driving a little further afield, to the south you can get to Bishops Castle which is a fun stop along the way to Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Coors brewery tour in Golden I think. Boulder is a nice little (expensive) mountain/college town. There's also Estes Park if it isn't snowing, which holds the hotel that was Stephen King's inspiration for the hotel in The Shining.

Google is your friend here...enjoy your trip, take pics and post 'em up when you get back!

Spent an afternoon there after a class I was taking ended early. https://wingsmuseum.org/

I'd add to it visit Voodoo Donuts. https://www.voodoodoughnut.com/ I think there is a dispensary next door, so you can knock out two birds in one stop. It's been about a year since I was out there, and no, I didn't visit the dispensary since I'd like to keep my job. But, as a Libertarian, I have no problem with people safely and responsibly enjoying as long as they can support themselves and don't operate impaired.

Snooze for some great breakfast eats. http://snoozeeatery.com/co-menu/

If you like hiking, make your way to the Rocky Mountain National Park. https://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

The Denver Art Museum is a good item to have in your back pocket for a rainy day.

Bolder, Pearl Street Mall. Some interesting shops and restaurants. https://www.boulderdowntown.com/

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Visit the Wings over the Rockies air and space museum

I'd have to be on #2 to be seen or caught dead in #1. Go straight to #3 and add 4 and 5 as Rent a Subaru and watch the homeless plethora of people who jumped on #2.

If the rental car agency uses a tracker and sees you stopped at a certain establishment , well big brother is getting bigger.

Denver is one of the faster growing places in the US.

Elevation Brewing in Poncha Springs; small town, good brews, canyon drive. Salida next door has a weed outlet. All up the hill from Royal Gorge.

Denver area has toll roads that you need a special transponder to drive on when I was there 9 years ago. Figure out if you need it and get it when you rent the car.

This is an interesting thread for I am preparing to head out to Colorado for the first time in my life to visit my niece in Colorado Springs in June. Gonna hook up with another niece and my brother out there, also. My very first dash cam purchase arrived today that I bought for the trip (Rexing V1 Gen3).

She said she's gonna take me "zip-lining." I had to google what that was. Even though I'm scared of heights, it looks fun, will try it. Other places include Garden of the Gods, Old Colorado Historic District (ghost stores?), Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (for my teenage daughter) and gambling. She even offered me THC, but I got sick way too many times off those when I was young so none for me
lol.gif
I'm really into ghost stores/town so looking forward to the old Colorado district.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Go slow on #2. Edibles sneak up on you
smile.gif

This. Not that I would know.
grin2.gif

This is GREAT! Thanks to every poster so far.

CONFESSION: I wasn't really going to drive Pike's Peak after filling my belly with marijuana product.

Any and all ideas are welcome. I see they have a train Museum there but, unless you're an aficionado, all that black iron will look the same.

The new Malibu is an absolutely miserable car. Slow and uncomfortable.

Are you borrowing someone else's car to go up Pike's Peak? Otherwise with that Malibu it'll be a LONG drive.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The new Malibu is an absolutely miserable car. Slow and uncomfortable.

Are you borrowing someone else's car to go up Pike's Peak? Otherwise with that Malibu it'll be a LONG drive.

+1, esp the 1.5T with the stop and start. Only car in it's segment not recommended by CR. Which means it also came in last place with CR also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back