Tire profile & wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Managed to kill my RT43's this winter, I suspect from driving fast and cornering hard. Now I haven't had a set wear out this fast since I've had Michelins--so I'm thinking, if I want to drive this way again, I need low profile tires? or not corner so hard? [Not that I'm pushing any limits here, not in a 1999 Camry with 195/70R14!]

I bought the tires with 9-10/32's (used), and after about 6k, I had 7/32's front / 10/32's rear. Unfortunately I didn't bother measuring again, and now after 32k I've got 4/32 rear with 2/32 and 1/32 front--I usually do 5k rotations but skipped the last one when I noticed the fronts were getting thin. Just bought another set of RT43's which will go on in a few weeks and I plan to measure more often. [For the record, it got an alignment this past fall, and it now has more rear toe-in than before, front wasn't that far off.]

Maybe I need to shop for some 15" rims so I can run 205/60/15.

32k miles on a used set of tires that the mfr advertises as a budget/value tire seems more than fair.

Did you think you were going to get 75k miles on the tread?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
32k miles on a used set of tires that the mfr advertises as a budget/value tire seems more than fair.

Did you think you were going to get 75k miles on the tread?

I had hoped for more--9 or 10/32's is 1 or 2 shy of the 11/32 that new has. But I'm not sad. It was $100 for a set of four tires--I got my money's worth, no regrets.

And no, I've never gotten more than about 40k out of a set of tires. So it's not that far from the norm. Conti, Michelin, General. Not really upset but do wonder if spending a bit more on tire rubber might yield a lower cost per mile in operating costs. Wife's car seems to get upwards of 40k on 215/60/16, while I've had 195 wide on my vehicles.

If the option exists for you to get a tire (in your required size) that has more load handling characteristics then that might yield longer tread life. Conversely, if you can carry less weight in your Camry then that might help extend tread life on an identical set to what you just had.

32k on a set that if rotated, could have gone further, isn’t too bad since the 11’ gets 40k on a set.

Mine has 205/65-15 tires stock. The RT43s didn’t seem to be lasting a really long time either on it, but I haven’t driven it in a year so I don’t know. Also had 2 replaced under warranty, so I stopped rotating.

I do like the handling of the 15” wheels better. My 97’ didn’t handle as good as my 00’ does.

I looked, and 205/65R15 appears to be a taller tire--3% isn't huge, but 205/60R15 is a closer match to 195/70R14.
21.gif
I know I've mounted 60 series tires (for the wife's Camry) so I don't think it'll be a big deal on that front.

Maybe I should shop around for those 15" rims--too bad Presidents sale came and went--I could save my 14" RT43's for winter duty, and get 15" somethings for summer.

If you've got lots of oomf in top gear at your typical highway speed I think its a good idea to go for a larger diameter tire. Is your alignment good for tire life? At the wrong end of "in spec" can still have lots more tire wear than is ideal.
For just bombing to work I find my 185/65R15 ig52c winter set just fine and wouldn't go wider for that usage. If 185/70R15's existed for tires I want, I think I would try them even as my car revs to much for good mileage.
Just buying used tires for $100 / 33k miles is pretty hard to beat though, maybe just do that again!

Yeah I wish--that was a great find on my part. Used car dealer, someone traded in a car with those in the trunk--he just wanted 'em gone. I was more than happy to oblige.

Spent the afternoon mounting my new RT43's, once they get balanced they'll go on.

I had a printout of the alignment, but it's AWOL at the moment. I think it was all centered. I suspect it's the iron block up front, although I corner harder going right than left, highway on/off ramps being what they are.

My camry rolls on dodge caravan rims that were $6.67 apiece.

You could fit 195/65/15s, very very common and cheap size.

Add a few pounds of air to the fronts will give you more wear in the middle and less at the corners. See how it feels on the next set of tires.

Originally Posted By: supton
....... or not corner so hard? .......

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.

It is amazing what driving hard does to tire wear. And it doesn't matter if you change tire size or not, cornering wears tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back