Pennzoil Ultra Platnium vs Mobil 1 vs Amsoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I heard many people on here say there isn't a "best" fully synthetic motor oil.
I have been using Mobil for several years now. I have thought about trying the Pennzoil ultra platnium,or the Amsoil premium oil.
I drive a truck,and in town driving is all I do,except for 1 time a month I get on the interstate driving a 3 hour round trip to visit family. I also tow a trailer 3 days a week.

Tell me which of these oils is your favorite,and why it's your favorite?

I haven’t used Mobil 1 for many years now, but when I did, all was good. I have PP Ultra in my truck right now, all is good. Never used amsoil cuz it cost too much. W that, my fav would be Penz because my truck runs good & price is better than M1 and Amsoil.

You might have a hard time finding that Platnium Ultra.

The best oil is the one that’s in your car right now.

I have a pretty good stash of PU. If I can continue to buy it from WMT online or AMZN when the price is right during rebate periods I will stick with it. I've used Mobil 1 and Amsoil as well and at the moment I prefer PU.

I used to always use Castrol or Havoline oils. Those were the early "just grab 10W-30 cause it's what dad used" days.

Then when I started to be able to afford cars I cared about it was Mobil 1.

Then Mobil 1 0W-40 lost LL01 I went back to Castrol.

Now I'm back on Mobil 1. I can't explain why. I don't think it matters what oil you use as long as you change it when appropriate.

Get whichever is the best price.

If you have an OLM, use any synthetic for the full OCI suggested by it
smile.gif

I'm not really brand loyal to any one oil. Over the years I've run Mobil 1, Amsoil, Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline and even a short stint with Royal Purple. Truth be told there are a lot of good oils, but different cars have different needs and one oil might be a better choice than another based on that. For instance my wife's BMW calls for an oil with the BMW Longlife-01 spec and M1 0w40 used to have it but now it doesn't, so I switched to Castrol 0w40 instead. My Corvette came factory filled with M1 5w30 but now GM is using M1 0w40 ESP formula for the FF on the 2019s and recommends it for 2014-2018s also. So that will be going into my car on the next oil change. There really is no other warranty approved alternative equivalent 0w40 out there for the Corvettes. With my Civic, I have been using M1 0w20 AFE for a few years now and even though the wear numbers have been good in my UOAs, I'm planning on switching over to PP 5w20 on the next oil change, hoping it'll retain it's viscosity better (I don't want to switch to 5w30, so that's not an option)

So it's true, there really isn't an overall best synthetic oil, but certainly there are some choices which can be determined as the best choice for specific applications.

Is there a name brand oil that returns lousy UOA's?

I'm starting to think that, with our high level of certification and our penchant for frequent oil changes, that it really doesn't matter. Only if you are exploring long OCI's or have a modified engine.

I'm not brand specific but I have used Mobil 1 for years. Combination of good long term results and lower cost at WallyLand. I wait fro the EP to go on sale and get it at $25 a 5qt jug. Hard to beat. PUP is never on a shelf at my local stores unless I go to specific auto parts store and then the price is so high you don't even ponder it.

Can't go wrong with any of the ones you listed. Sign up to be an Amsoil dealer or make friends with one. Saves $$$. Overall, the way I drive I don't think there would be a "better" one for my F150 (9k miles a year) or Subby Outback (24k a year). Maybe it's different for you.

Originally Posted By: supton
Is there a name brand oil that returns lousy UOA's?

I'm starting to think that, with our high level of certification and our penchant for frequent oil changes, that it really doesn't matter. Only if you are exploring long OCI's or have a modified engine.

+1 It seems viscosity play a bigger role than brand. PU 5w30 returned miserable results in a modified 3800 L67, 0w40 A3/B4 improved it dramatically.
Nothing wrong with the PU it was just a case of the wrong oil for the engine and my own stupidity believing a thinner oil could do the job.

I just did a UOA on PUP. 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan, 10k OCI. TBN was 2, maybe close to 3. Losts of short trips with some long distance thrown in. PUP holdss up well. Whether I continue to use it or not depends on availability and price. Can no longer purchase at Walmart. That leaves Amazon as the only option for me. So, I will probably switch to Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Full Synthetic, depending on price.

Last edited:
Wise Guy.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Amsoil is good for a 25 HP increase in Ford engines

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I heard many people on here say there isn't a "best" fully synthetic motor oil.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You heard correct.

My favourite is the one with OEM approvals for the vehicle in question, and
if the oil is available from the OEM use that providing the cost is competitive with the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I heard many people on here say there isn't a "best" fully synthetic motor oil.
I have been using Mobil for several years now. I have thought about trying the Pennzoil ultra platnium,or the Amsoil premium oil.
I drive a truck,and in town driving is all I do,except for 1 time a month I get on the interstate driving a 3 hour round trip to visit family. I also tow a trailer 3 days a week.

I would think most people look at these (3) choices of oil as which is the best for their application. But, that's just my thinking. YMMV.
Then, you might Q? why I am currently using PP as stated in my signature? Well, it was only $14 for the 5 qt. container and $2.50 for (1) qt. At that price, I would have been foolish to pass it up.
If I were to choose a "favorite" for my application it would be M1. Why? A few reasons, but the most important, they have been making synthetic oil for a long time. It seems they have every engine application covered the best, from every day family vehicles up to racing. That, and their oil does what's required for a very good price. Also, those engines that use M1 exclusively, and are tore down to show their internal parts, well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back