Stumped by the numbers help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor sold a firearm for $60.00 to local gun store. He used that $60.00 towards the purchase of another firearm. The gun store deducted $60.00 off the price of the new firearm. He then decided that he didn't want the new firearm. The gun store refunded the purchase price which was reduced by the $60.00 sale of his firearm. He feels he was cheated because he got the reduced purchase price refunded and they kept his firearm saying they already bought it and could not just give it back to him. He feels he's owed the $60.00 for his original firearm. Who's right here?

If they still had his original gun, why wouldn't they just give it back to him/return his trade-in? If they sold his trade-in & made money on it, why not give him his $60 back? Sounds like bad customer service to me!

The thing is the gun shop is going to take a hit on the gun he returned because they can no longer sell it as new.

We don't know the whole story and the shop policy. Was the gun he bought new? I know of no retailers that accept returns on new firearms, I'm sure they exist though. If the gun was new, should the shop accept the return and sell it as new at full price? Would you like to buy a new gun someone returned?

He never took delivery of the new gun, it was refunded before the 72 hour waiting period here in Illinois.

Last edited:
If he never took possession of the new gun then they should either give his trade-in back if not sold, or his $60 credit.

Maybe they are trying to ding him for the paperwork involved and trying to justify keeping his $60.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
We don't know the whole story and the shop policy. Was the gun he bought new? I know of no retailers that accept returns on new firearms, I'm sure they exist though. If the gun was new, should the shop accept the return and sell it as new at full price? Would you like to buy a new gun someone returned?
If there is nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think they should give him $60 in store credit. On the other hand, I find it incredibly irritating that people buy items and expect a full refund. The store incurred some costs....I think he deserves to cover those costs. If you decide to buy something....buy the [censored] thing and be done with it.

Ouch! He should get his $60.00 returned or credit. There are confusing Federal Laws involving buying/selling firearms to FFL. But, I don't know both sides and the store policy.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

They didn't want to give him the gun back because they knew they stole it! You can't buy any kind of a working gun for under a hundred plus.

He should have kept the money and bought some oil and a couple filter's
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The thing is the gun shop is going to take a hit on the gun he returned because they can no longer sell it as new.

Is that common or is there typically some non-refundable deposit in these situations?

The OP is a little confusing. It doesn't seem like your neighbor sold his gun; it seems like it put it as a down-payment toward a new gun. Is that correct? Barring any non-refundable-deposit-type policy, the gun shop owes him his old gun back.

If he SOLD his gun for $60, THEN decided to put the $60 toward a new gun, then the gun shop owes him $60.

I would say they at least owe him store credit. However in California there are fees associated with every transfer of ownership, usually around $75. If you decide to back out of a deal the FFL still has to do their end of the paperwork and 10 day waiting period.

"If he SOLD his gun for $60, THEN decided to put the $60 toward a new gun, then the gun shop owes him $60."

This is exactly the way it happened and what I believe is the correct answer to this situation. I am going with him on Monday to the gun shop to help him straighten this out. Thanks to everyone for the replies and I will post the results.

This is why CASH IS KING.

Maybe the gun store was willing to give a higher amount in store credit than cash ($60 in credit vs $50 cash), but it seems the only good time to take that kind of deal is if you know you won't reneg/want a refund.

Do you know what gun did he sell/trade to the gun shop? Curious if he even got a fair price for it.

It was a 35 year old 25acp auto brand new in the box. The brand was "Fraser", he said he paid about $100.00 new for it. I looked at it before he went and did the deal, it was stainless w black grips and clean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wymi516
"If he SOLD his gun for $60, THEN decided to put the $60 toward a new gun, then the gun shop owes him $60."

This is exactly the way it happened and what I believe is the correct answer to this situation. I am going with him on Monday to the gun shop to help him straighten this out. Thanks to everyone for the replies and I will post the results.

Right, but the other part of my post asked if there is typically a non-refundable deposit or fee when committing to purchase a new weapon. He must have some paperwork for the sale and purchase, right? Look those over and let us know if you find anything.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: wymi516

Right, but the other part of my post asked if there is typically a non-refundable deposit or fee when committing to purchase a new weapon. He must have some paperwork for the sale and purchase, right? Look those over and let us know if you find anything.

I'm looking at the receipts they gave him now. He got one receipt for the sale of his 25acp, one receipt for the sale of the new gun and then a receipt for the return. I don't see anything about a non refundable deposit, he paid in full for the new gun. The gun store is Cabelas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back