decent MPG and 3 kid across backseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions for a car with decent MPG, built in last 5 years and can seat 3 daughters (4,10,12) across for next 6 years? Budget favorably under $20k but up $25k possible. We own also 3 row suv.

My wife currently drives a tired 2005 Legacy turbo Wagon that is tight for 3 girls and MPG is mediocre(23MPG) but is otherwise a blast to drive.

Our 2011 Camry does three across the back seat. IIRC we went in with a tape measure to verify--we wanted it work with booster seats. I do recall test driving a '99 4Runner (for me) and ruling it out as the backseat was too narrow (and didn't have 3pt seatbelt in the middle!). I'd be more concerned with making sure no driveshaft hump (real or not).

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The 2011+ Passats have one of the biggest back seats, with the most amount of front leg room in the class. The seat bottom is also quite flat, which is excellent for anchoring child seats.

Oh, that reminds me of something: be sure to test out the LATCH system. My VW had leather seats and getting the buckles (or whatever they were called) into the LATCH receivers seemed harder than other vehicles (deeply recessed, stiff cushions). YMMV, we managed, but we always griped.

Accord, Sonata, Optima are all 73" wide and spacious. The Accord is great if you want stick shift, if not you have a pretty decent CVT but its still a CVT trans. Anything less than 73" wide is probably too small inside. CX-5 / 2018 Tiguan for example only 72" wide and probably not enough space.

Something like a Grand Caravan comes in at 79" wide but also has the extra row so that would be obviously be the most comfortable.

You can buy a Gen 8 Accord with decently low miles for way under 20K.
Plenty large enough back seat as well as pretty decent fuel economy.
Should be dead reliable as well, or at least the one we have has been.

The LaCrosse eAssist in my sig has a cavernous back seat. My 3 kids have ample room - they're 21, 18, and 12, and their heights range from 5'4" to 5'10". I've averaged nearly 30 mpg in mixed driving over the 26k and 17 months I've had it. You can get them CPO off-lease for under $20k all day long.

The wife's 4-door '11 Accord isn't bad, either, and with the 4 cylinder, she sees 31-32 mpg most of the time.

3 kids = minivan

In my opinion. I have two kids and I couldn't even imagine carting everything around in a sedan. The minivan has a ton of room. Gets 22 mpg around town, 27 mpg highway.

I stole my 2017 Pacifica. Bought the last day of the month. Sales manager was willing to deal.

Maybe a Mazda6? Good mileage and fun to drive. The 2.5 Outback should get good mileage and is wide inside compared to most/all? CUV's if you still want AWD.

Edmunds.com gives interior specs, total car width doesn't mean much.

Impala - 56" rear hiproom, Sonata -56", Accord - 54.7", Camry - 54.5", Optima - 56", Lacrosse - 55.1", Avalon - 54.6". Shoulder room is usually the same or a bit wider.

You're welcome.

Three row crossovers are getting popular. Mazda CX-9 is one example. Your girls are only going to get bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back