2017 Equinox PP 5500 mile interval - First UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample from a 2017 equinox, 5,500 mile interval, 26,000 miles total. Ran Mobil 1 for the first 15k miles, then switched over to Penzoil platinum for the last 2 oil changes.

kFx3s5V.jpg

The iron / aluminum levels looked a little high to me, but I guess they are close enough to averages not to be an issue?

Calcium is a bit over averages, and silicon seemed a little high to me as well, but as above, i guess it's in normal ranges.

I don't expect to push the intervals, pretty much just following the oil life monitor, which seems to go further than the old 5000 mile rule.

Refilled the vehicle with Penzoil Ultra Platinum which I got on sale+rebate.

Last edited:
I would say good metal wear rates, and the used oil is serviceable.

Edit: Agree with BStone on 7500 miles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. So on the metal numbers, is that just standard for this motor? I had seen other reports where it seemed like something around 1ppm iron per 1000 miles was considered a "good" number.

Is the silicon number high enough to suggest I need a better air filter? I'm using a purolator pure one air filter replaced right around 20k miles. (early, but decided to do it and the cabin filter at the same time)

Not sure I'll get to 7500 miles on the next change, but I'll let the oil life monitor go all the way down before changing it if I'm under the 7500 mile mark. I think this change was probably just under 10%.

Originally Posted By: DenverGP
Is the silicon number high enough to suggest I need a better air filter? I'm using a purolator pure one air filter replaced right around 20k miles. (early, but decided to do it and the cabin filter at the same time)

The silicon reading is fine and under the average. I'd be very happy with that. I had a uoa done on the Camry at 60k miles and the silicon reading was 24 after 40k miles on the air filter. From 20k-60k which is when I changed it. Iron reading was only 5 ppm so didn't affect wear metals. All other wear metals were below universal averages.

The silicon number already looks good, but based on this VOA below of PP 5w30, it already contains 6ppm of silicon in it's virgin state, so that makes the number of 10 look even better knowing that not a lot of extra dirt is getting into this engine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...1G2#Post4573299

One way of knowing if the silicon level is alarmingly high would be if you also saw high levels of chromium as that would indicate excessive wearing of the piston rings. So anytime you see a UOA report with high silicon but the chromium is very low, that indicates it's not silicon in the abrasive form of dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back