Pick my next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick my next oil change for the Blazer in my signature and explain why. Oils listed were purchased heavily discounted. My plan is to change it tomorrow afternoon. Most popular vote wins.

Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Rotella T5 10w30
Edge HM 10w40
Maxlife 20w50 /(watered down with 5w20) 4.5 quart sump.

400 miles a week. Filter will be a Fram TG3980. Not brand biased whatsoever (see above oil list for example)..

Let me finish the thread by saying this is currently the longest OCI I've done since ownership. Currently just under 6k.

12:00 pm Eastern Time 3/4/18 is the deadline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Rotella T5 10w30
Edge HM 10w40

The one bolded above since that's what it's currently running. Might as well keep it consistent. Plus I prefer the 5W weight during cold temps. As far as what do use after the SynPower, I'd use the 10w30 Rotella T5 to keep it on 30 wt. oil until you run out of it. Then use up the 40 wt after that.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Rotella T5 10w30
Edge HM 10w40

The one bolded above since that's what it's currently running. Might as well keep it consistent. Plus I prefer the 5W weight during cold temps. As far as the other ones go, flip a coin btwn the Edge and Rotella.

Should have mentioned:

Cold temp has never been a concern for me. I've used the 10w40 in my Jeep well below 0*F many of times.

Anyways, 1 vote for Synpower.

You didn't say how much of each you have, which would play into my plan...so reckoning you have 1 change of each:

It is early spring so the worst winter temps are behind you. Rotella now will carry you through th start of summer.

Then the Maxlife to use it up...that's a full summer weight oil.

For late Summer and Fall, the Edge.

Then back to Synpower for the winter.

Since you're not brand-picky, I chose the oils that made the most viscosity sense for expected temps...

Rotella T5 10W-30

Reason: Still on the 'thinner side' for cool spring weather, but still a very stout oil. Save the 10W-40 and 20W-50 for the really hot part of summer.

The one with the API starbust symbol
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: knnaz392
The one with the API starbust symbol
wink.gif

That narrows it down!!!
cheers3.gif

I would save the thicker stuff for the Jeep and Volvo.

As said above, knowing how much of each you have may change my decision, but with the info I have, I would just say stick with the Synpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back