Please Explain Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The center tube on oil filters are, for the most part, corrugated or otherwise ribbed in some fashion. Why not just smooth with punched holes or louvers?

A smooth piece of metal with a bunch of holes in it is weak. Corrugate or rib it, and it gains strength back.

Also, in some cases to reduce possible restriction to oil flow to the holes.

The center tube of the filter cap for my cartridge filter (theoretically serves the same purpose) is smooth, with no corrugations or ribs.

The Mitsubishi 072 filters I have cut open have a smooth, non corrugated center tube. After cutting the filter apart, you can crush the center tube with your thumb and forefinger flat. The Kia 504 filters and all of the K&N filters I have cut open have a ribbed/corrugated tube. After separating those filters and attempting to crush the center tube, it is nearly impossible to crush them with both hands. So I have experience with this test and I can tell you the reason is definitely to add strength to the center tube, in which it does very well.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
A smooth piece of metal with a bunch of holes in it is weak. Corrugate or rib it, and it gains strength back.

This

Choosing a reputable maker helps. Like Toyota has a smooth tube. It goes hand in hand with the strength of the media pleating. A good maker tests the product and the buyer doesn't have to worry. I think the Fram Ultra could do fine with no center tube, the mesh is so strong. Usually when metal is corrugated to increase strength it is to allow thinner metal to be used.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Also, in some cases to reduce possible restriction to oil flow to the holes.

^^THIS^^

Notice when someone does a "cut and post" that the paper pleats of an element are always "crimped"?

If the paper pleats were flat, the oil pressure (which is a LOT of force, BTW)
would simply push the paper pleats flats against each other = NO FLOW

You must have lots of "peaks and valleys" so oil can flow to the next available pore.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
The center tube on oil filters are, for the most part, corrugated or otherwise ribbed in some fashion. Why not just smooth with punched holes or louvers?

Fram and (some) older style WIX filters for example have smooth and punched holes in the center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back