TPMS light on after new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Tires Plus getting new tires put on the LR3. The TPMS light was off when I dropped it off and when I picked it up, it was still off. Just as I got back home it came on (about a 10 mile drive). I checked the tire pressures and they're right (33 front, 42 rear). The message I'm getting is "Check all Tyre Pressures". I looked in the manual and it has the following messages:

Check all Tyre Pressures with light that comes on and off (this one is the stage 1 fault)
Tyre Pressure too low (stage 2 fault)
Tyre Pressure too high (stage 2 fault)
TPMS System Error (accompanied by constant light)
TPMS Communication Error (constant light)
Check Spare

I'm getting the first message. I would've thought if a sensor were dead, I'd be getting the fault or communication error, not the pressure one. Any ideas? Thanks!

Can't you take it back? Norm when this happens after work was done it's best to get it back there asap. No appt. needed and yours should be given priority since it may have involved an error on their part. Good luck and keep us posted. Don't hesitate asking for a manager if you get the run around.

Yep...take it back. Sounds like they may have put the front wheels on the back and didn't re-program them since the light wasn't on after the job was done.

I asked about that and they said they kept the wheels in the same spots as before...guess I'll go back there today.

Just aired up the spare since I have a trip anyway, it was at 44 and requires 60, put 65 in it. Light hasn't come on yet.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Just got back from Tires Plus getting new tires put on the LR3. The TPMS light was off when I dropped it off and when I picked it up, it was still off. Just as I got back home it came on (about a 10 mile drive). I checked the tire pressures and they're right (33 front, 42 rear). The message I'm getting is "Check all Tyre Pressures". I looked in the manual and it has the following messages:

Check all Tyre Pressures with light that comes on and off (this one is the stage 1 fault)
Tyre Pressure too low (stage 2 fault)
Tyre Pressure too high (stage 2 fault)
TPMS System Error (accompanied by constant light)
TPMS Communication Error (constant light)
Check Spare

I'm getting the first message. I would've thought if a sensor were dead, I'd be getting the fault or communication error, not the pressure one. Any ideas? Thanks!

You really have bad luck with TPMS ... Deja vu all over again: TPMS Help thread started by you

crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
For sure. I hate TPMS with a passion!

The newer jeep system is pretty good...

As long as discount tire remembers to put the tpms sensors you bought in the tires
frown.gif

Auto sensing, just works, displays pressure of every tire.

fixes itself for rotations, different sets of tires etc.

The older systems on vehicles can be a PITA

for example 2013 outback. light comes on if tire is low or very high, same light comes on if a sensor not working.. that is all the system does.

I could better put up with the hassle if it displayed the actual pressures like in my Cherokee...but just to have a dummy light and still have to check each tire is the worst of both worlds!

Update: Took it back and they did a relearn...see what happens now. I think there might be a battery dying and it's cutting in/out. They're the original sensors.

my 09 volvo throws TPMS often, the battery in at least one sender is weak. I figure this because it only does it in cold weather, regardless of tire pressure. Sometimes the OBD will report low pressure, other times battery. I just live with it - I'll fix the big stuff with it but I'm sure a 4-sensor battery job will cost a significant percentage of the vehicles' cash value. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car! Just not financially worth investing in tpms. maybe if it goes in the shop for something else...

-m

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You see a lot of posts on TPMS guess its a good option to skip!

It is not an option after year x (2008?. It is mandatory equipment. And it must work. Some states will fail you if it is not working, per my understanding.
Say 'thank you' to Firestone/Bridgestone and Ford.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back