Grit Guard carnage

Status
Not open for further replies.

For anyone who doesn't have one yet... this is what the bottom of a wash bucket looks like after heavy use with a Grit Guard. (The line is where I ran my finger through the sludge.)
shocked2.gif

What did you wash? Something covered in mud, I assume? I use a grit guard to wash my car and it never looks like that.

Mine hasn't gotten like that yet, but your picture shows pretty compelling evidence to use a Grit Guard.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
What did you wash? Something covered in mud, I assume? I use a grit guard to wash my car and it never looks like that.

A lot of cars which were all thoroughly pre-rinsed with a power washer

I use a coupe of old pasta strainers/colanders picked up from the dollar store. Does the same as a grit guard for way less.

Originally Posted By: kart17
Lots of people use 2 Grit Guards.
They are cheap enough and seem to do a good job of keeping your finish a little better

I ordered one grit guard on amazon and they accidentally sent me two, hahaha!

They were wedged together and looked like one piece. My guess is; whoever packed my order up, doesnt know any better.

But yes, 2 grit guards in a 2 bucket system are better than one.

To the OP, WOW, I have never seen sludge like that after a wash.

Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
I use a coupe of old pasta strainers/colanders picked up from the dollar store. Does the same as a grit guard for way less.

Good idea. Hard to pay $10 for one piece of plastic for an actual grit guard. I like your idea better.

I hose off the mud and grit before I wash but these days the car wash is my friend.

I use a grit guard. It never gets that dirty.

I always wash my sponge off completely before returning it to the bucket.

The sequence is:
Clean sponge in sudsy bucket
Foam a panel
Remove soapy sponge and agitate panel
Spray sponge fully clean
Return sponge to bucket
Rinse panel
Repeat

I also use a separate sponge for the lower quarter of the car. That gets soaped and done separately after the high panels. The same process applies.

I just washed my car yesterday as the temperature broke 40F. I use two buckets with grit guards. The rinse water was pretty black even though I had hosed off the car well. What was under the grit Guard is enough to convince me that they are essential.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I just washed my car yesterday as the temperature broke 40F. I use two buckets with grit guards. The rinse water was pretty black even though I had hosed off the car well. What was under the grit Guard is enough to convince me that they are essential.

I just don't get how the water was black. Don't you rinse your sponge with hose water?

My sponges don't go into any bucket without looking pristine clean.

The bucket water lifts any microscopic stuff that I miss. I wouldn't want any other dirt or grime to be in the bucket! That's how cars get marred due to washing! Extreme care must be taken, and its not that hard! You just can't trust a band aid like a grit guard...

Shows how well they can work; however, with that much dirt collected, I'd be willing to bet you were still washing with water that contained dirt and abrasives.

Me too! May get that side guard one of these days as well.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I just don't get how the water was black. Don't you rinse your sponge with hose water?

My sponges don't go into any bucket without looking pristine clean.

The bucket water lifts any microscopic stuff that I miss. I wouldn't want any other dirt or grime to be in the bucket! That's how cars get marred due to washing! Extreme care must be taken, and its not that hard! You just can't trust a band aid like a grit guard...

The rinse water was black as I up the used chenille into it first, wring it outvand then into the soapy water. The soapy water was only slightly dark when I dumped it.

I would never use a sponge to wash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back