1GR-FE Favorite OIl

What is your favorite oil for a Toyota 4.0 1GR-FE Engine? (2018 4Runner)

The owners manual call for 0w-20, but states thicker oil may be better suited in some more demanding use.

I will be doing a lot of short trip and no towing, just normal driving, so I am leaning towards a 0w-20.

I am looking for quiet, smooth, low wear numbers and good fuel economy.

I am looking at a 1 year/4000-8000 mile oil change interval. TRD filter will be used.

CONSIDERING:
Schaeffers 0w-20
Amsoil Sig. Ser. 0w-20
TGMO 0w-20
Mobil1 AFE 0w-20
Valvoline SynPower 0w-20

Last edited:
Any name brand low cost synthetic will do. My sienna likes M1 afe when i cab get it for $10/jug, penzoilplatinum at w12.jug and QSUD at $8/ jug.

10k mile runs on regular toyota oem filter and oil is looks good in the pan. No uoa but i have ran well over 150k on previous toyotas with this same philosophy. Just keep it changed and youll be fine.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
What is your favorite oil for a Toyota 4.0 1GR-FE Engine? (2018 4Runner)

The owners manual call for 0w-20, but states thicker oil may be better suited in some more demanding use.

I will be doing a lot of short trip and no towing, just normal driving, so I am leaning towards a 0w-20.

I am looking for quiet, smooth, low wear numbers and good fuel economy.

I am looking at a 1 year/4000-8000 mile oil change interval. TRD filter will be used.

CONSIDERING:
Schaeffers 0w-20
Amsoil Sig. Ser. 0w-20
TGMO 0w-20
Mobil1 AFE 0w-20
Valvoline SynPower 0w-20

I've pretty much thinking that I'll go with 5w30 in mine, as elsewhere in the world (I looked at Australia) that's what is recommended. BUT-

I've considered running three of the five you mentioned; at a one year up to 8000 OCI all of them should be good to go. I'm looking at about 10-12k miles per year so bought some Amsoil to see how that does.

And since there's so much debate on thick versus thin here, I've got hold of 20 grade Amsoil also. I'm going to run that first, then run the 5w30 and compare UOAs. In day to day driving I'm not expecting any difference in the UOAs.

But next summer I am planning on towing heavy so will make sure to have the 30 grade oil in then. I agree completely with the manual, that heavier use requires a heavier oil.

With the $12 rebate per 5 qt. jug from Mobil going on right now, I'd look at Mobil 1 EP or AFE 0w-20. If you prefer Pennzoil, they have a $10 rebate per 5qt jug on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum.

I put 70K on a 2014 5th Gen 4Runner trail several years ago. Used TGMO and a Wix filter. TGMO stayed in the crankcase for about 7K. Sometimes the WIX stayed on for two OCI’s. Still have a few cases of the TGMO if interested. It is listed in the for sale section for $50 per case.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It is a Toyota, so choose wisely as putting 300K on one is a pipe dream.

What do you base that statement on? Because the data and my real life experience prove otherwise.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007

What do you base that statement on? Because the data and my real life experience prove otherwise.

I took that as sarcasm....I bought my 4Runner, in part, due to the bulletproof reputation.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I put 70K on a 2014 5th Gen 4Runner trail several years ago. Used TGMO and a Wix filter. TGMO stayed in the crankcase for about 7K. Sometimes the WIX stayed on for two OCI’s. Still have a few cases of the TGMO if interested. It is listed in the for sale section for $50 per case.

How did the Wix hold up after two 7k intervals? I like the Wix but their website indicates 7500 miles (somewhere), and it is a cellulose media.

Last edited:
at 135k my '06 runs, shifts and 4WD is all perfect uses zero oil..goes down the road like Sherman taking Atlanta. holding up real nice for a old machine, here's a 09/2017 pic with the winter wheels on..

My 2007 Tacoma PreRunner has an older version of the 1GR-FE, and, at that time, Toyota spec'd a 5W-30, so I've always used a 30W. Matter of fact, it's never had anything but Mobil 1 in the crankcase, since I drained the factory fill at 3000 miles. Initially started with standard M1, then tried some of the old Truck & SUV formula (they stopped making it) a couple of times. Then, around 75,000 miles, I started using the Extended Performance variety at 8-10,000 mile OCIs, and no problems to report.

The engine uses no oil even through 10K-plus OCIs.

Couple questions: Has Toyota changed the tolerances on the 1GR-FE, making them tighter, to run a 20W? Or, are they calling for a 20W just for economy?

Also, I know the newer versions of this engine have VVT-i on the exhaust cams as well. That brings up another question - could using a different viscosity than what is specified cause any issues with that dual VVT-i setup?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Couple questions: Has Toyota changed the clearances on the 1GR-FE, making them tighter, to run a 20W? Or, are they calling for a 20W just for economy?

Also, I know the newer versions of this engine have VVT-i on the exhaust cams as well. That brings up another question - could using a different viscosity than what is specified cause any issues with that dual VVT-i setup?
Why would the oil viscosity make a difference? as posted a heavier oil can be used if ,,,,,

grin.gif

I would use this through warranty

But didn't you get two years of free oil changes?

After warranty I'd switch to 5w-30

Last edited:
I use PP 5w30 in my 2013 Tacoma 1GRFE, 5k OCI. I enrolled into the free Pennzoil warranty whereby they warranty your engine for 500,000 miles provided you use pennzoil synthetic and manufacturer OCI (5k in our case) and viscosity (5w30 on TJ Tacoma 1GRFE)

Back