Best "wax as you dry" type spray wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
SirTanon:
Have you happened to compare the Ultimate Quik Wax in the black bottles to their D156 in the gallon jugs? I hear they are supposed to be very similar except for scent perhaps. The D156 is certainly a better deal per ounce. I've been pleased so far with the Ultimate.
Thanks

It's the exact same stuff, just a different scent. My only complaint about the gallon D156 jug is that it just doesn't smell nearly as good as the Ultimate Quik Wax in the spray bottle. The UQW is kind of a.. grapey sort of scent, while the D156 is orange/citrus.

... now, the Eagle-1 Spray Wax... oh man, that stuff smells like vanilla frosting.

Thanks: Although I've become better about using it sparingly, the Ultimate is a much more expensive way to wax a car compared to say my Gold Class Carnauba Liquid. A bottle of that lasts me a long time since I've become proficient at putting on very thin layers. The D156 in a gallon jug would at least make quick wax more economical.

Glad to help. Keep in mind, any D156, as good as it is, is just a spray wax. If you want the best results and best protection, you still need to make sure you have a decent base of a 'proper' wax or sealant underneath. Gold Class is a good Carnauba, and the D156 will definitely help 'extend' its life on your paint.

Also, I actually have found that I can 'cut' my D156 in my spray bottle by about 1:3 with water and it still does a great job when I use it after every wash. That is to say, about 24 oz of D156 and about 8 oz of water for a 32 oz solution. If I used it less often, I'd definitely use it full strength.

Spray wax has come a long ways and many of the brands including some of the ones discussed here have sealant properties. Polymers and such really make spray wax much more durable and this technique of using them while drying the vehicle is just added benefit in Shine and protection.

So do folks like to spray on these spray waxes while the car still has droplets on rather than immediately after washing but completely dried?

So do folks like to spray on these spray waxes while the car still has droplets on rather than immediately after washing but completely dried?

You can spray it while it’s wet. Use a towel for the initial wiping and then a separate towel for buffing.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

You can spray it while it’s wet. Use a towel for the initial wiping and then a separate towel for buffing.

Any particular advantages to applying it to a wet surface?

It’s mainly a time reducer. You can combine the drying and wax in one step. Mind you, this is done during in between washes in a car with a good protective coat. You are just replenishing or adding additional protection and shine. Eventually you will have to apply a new coat.

Some people just wash regularly and dry with spray wax. It all depends on your climate and environmental exposure.

Any particular advantages to applying it to a wet surface?

Besides the time benefit previously mentioned, the relatively small amount of water droplets on the car while doing this also help to distribute the spray wax somewhat as well, at least IMHO. Having the spray wax there while drying may also help protect the paint to a small degree while the cloth does its work drying, by introducing a slight amount of lubricity and protection.

I try to achieve sheeting on the final rinse, I blow off the car, apply a mist of D156, and dry along with any residual water left on the finish. The little bit of water helps with lubrication and too much water will dilute the D156. Additionally, D156 does not like to be left on the finish; you'll only want to apply to the area you're drying or the D156 will dry before you wipe it off. This is the best advice I can give through trial and error.

How many times can we have the same thread?

Seems like definitions have changed. OP like Eagle One Nano which is a spray wax. Spray wax can be used as wax-as-u-dry, so I guess who cares.

I've bought and compared 4 wax-as-u-dry sprays Eagle One, Megs, Mothers, Turtle Wax and one spray wax, the Meg's Ultimate Spray Wax (consumer D156). That Meg's Ultimate is in a league of it's own. If you get some directly on your fingers, you can feel as if it's crosslinking and it's soda smell stays well after MANY hand washes, even after a shower hours later well into your bedtime. However it is not a wax-as-u-dry, but as previously mentioned, it can be used as such and works great. I always wanted to try NanoWax, but it looks like I'll be skipping that now due to OPs experience with the new formulation.

As for the wax-as-u-dry's the only stand-out was Turtle Wax. They all did well, well honestly the Meg's Wax-As-U-Dry was the most expensive and the Turtle Wax is the cheapest. It's 26oz for $4 at Walmart when it is on sale. Both Meg's WAUD and Ultimate SW at 16-18oz-ish and more expensive I believe cheapest for USW is $8. I can be liberal with Turtle Wax on door jambs, windows, etc. It works well to clean windows since it's streak free. While with Meg's Ultimate, I'm stingy.

Therefore, I'll continue to buy Meg's Ultimate around and settle on the larger cheaper bottle of Turtle Wax for WAUD and as detail spray for bird bombs, dead bug spots, etc. I'll also keep trying other spray waxes. Lots of good ones out there for sure. Just never tried them yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182
I try to achieve sheeting on the final rinse, I blow off the car, apply a mist of D156, and dry along with any residual water left on the finish. The little bit of water helps with lubrication and too much water will dilute the D156. Additionally, D156 does not like to be left on the finish; you'll only want to apply to the area you're drying or the D156 will dry before you wipe it off. This is the best advice I can give through trial and error.

How many times can we have the same thread?

I tried to make this point but it may have gotten lost in translation. Wax as you dry is really for cars that already have a good coat of wax or sealant on them. You save time and add gloss and a bit of extra protection as you go. Eventually though the car will need to be waxed again.

Interesting you mention sheeting. Sheeting water is ideal but everyone is hung up on beading.

I look at beading as an indication of how the LSP is holding up, other than that it doesn't mean much.

When doing the final rinse, if you can get the water to sheet off (taking all the beads with it) it means less you have to touch the finish with your drying chamois, and the less you can touch your finish the better.

Optimum Spray Wax fits the bill. It won’t stain any trim and can be used on any external surface including glass though I generally don’t take it that far.

True. But it seems like a spray sealant more than a spray wax. That is, it's about as durable as a more conventional sealant and build-up can be a problem if you use it all the time. The Duragloss Aqua Wax product is more of a straight-ahead spray wax that will readily wash off when you want it to.
Not prone to build-up or streakiness when used reasonably. (although I admit I've done it).

Has a very bright platicky shine if you care about those things.

Out of all these spray waxes mentioned so far,which seem to be the best for the black plastic trim?

I enjoy using Duragloss Aquawax. Doesn't phase the black trim one bit. Plus you don't have to go over it a second time to get rid of the haze like many others.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I like eagle 1 wax as u dry. I use it on my rv as i'm not going to hand buff dried wax off it!

Yes, this is my exclusive wax as u dry. I tried the turtle wax version, because it's much cheaper, but didn't like it at all.

Chemical Guys V07 spray wax. Can be used on windows, paint, etc as you dry. Literally makes the windows rain repellent. I use it almost weekly to touch up my car even when dry. Leaves a great gloss when drying after washing.you can use it on black trim as well and looks amazing, probably the best spray wax out there, I’ve spent a fortune on these products! Can’t reccoment it enough!

Last edited:
What do you all think about this stuff? Walmart lists it online near me,I may go check in person.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Blazin_Banana_Spray_Wax_16_oz_p/wac21516.htm

My apologies if it was mentioned already in the tread. I was at Walmart yesterday and they no longer carry Eagle One stuff (I was going to try the regular Wax As U Dry over the Nano Wax). What's everyone's favorite that can be bought at the common locales (Walmart,Autozone,etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back