Lube advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Haven't been shooting in a while. Was curious what lubes everyone is liking. Been using Gun Butter, Weapon Shield, and Break Free CLP. What do you all recommend.

ALG very thin grease - love the stuff. Stays put. Stays lubed.

Slip 2000 EWL 30 - also excellent. Stays put for a really long time.

Remoil aerosol can to clean (its NOT a suitable lube) It makes a great light cleaner. Wipe it off after cleaning, and lube with one of the two above.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hello all,

Been using Gun Butter, Weapon Shield, and Break Free CLP. What do you all recommend.

You are already using high quality products. There is no reason to change if you don't want to.

I like Corrosion-X for lubrication and rust prevention. It even works ok as a light cleaner.

I use Mpro-7 gun cleaner for heavier cleaning.

I use ballistol to clean (have other cleaners from bore tech, Mpro and butch's if really needed) and leave a light coat of oil on surfaces. For stuff that needs to be lubricated, slip 2000.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hello all,

Haven't been shooting in a while. Was curious what lubes everyone is liking. Been using Gun Butter, Weapon Shield, and Break Free CLP. What do you all recommend.

A better lube than Breakfree CLP is Breakfree LP.
Of the three you mentioned / have, Weaponshield is your best one. Watch out for long storage gumminess with your Gun Butter. Could make moving parts like actions sticky.

I use Lucas products and Slip 2000 products currently.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. Have a great weekend.

I have been using Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner as a general CLP for about 2 years now and have been impressed. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way. I like aerosols for getting into trigger assemblies and small areas. It seems to clean well and leaves a nice light layer of oil. Tests seem to show it's very good at rust protection also. What I like the most about it is you can completely cover a part without putting too much on. What I mean by that is only so much will stick. It comes out light and someone runny but drys quickly. Almost like you are painting. Spray it on and after a few seconds it forms a haze. Once dry it doesn't run. With liquid oils sometimes it will continue to run and find its way onto stocks/grips/clothes etc. This stuff doesn't do that. For the outside parts (barrel/receiver) I just rub off the extra. For inside parts I leave it hazy. For guns I store I don't rub off any extra. That way there is a nice covering layer of oil. I also use grease for some internal parts (hinge and lock block on my over/under shotgun).

Wow, you guys are fussy.
smile.gif

I use light weight motor oil, hydraulic jack oil or ATF.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
rem oil

Worst gun product on the planet IMHO

Its a decent cleaner but a terrible lube

Been using BF CLP (liquid not aerosol) for a couple years now for multiple applications with good results. I do prefer to wipe the outside of my blued guns down with fluid film, though.

Not a fan of CLP for a cleaner. Beechwood Casey gun scrubber in the areo can is a great cleaner. Then I follow up with a good lube that may or may not be a CLP variant. I have used and like weapon shield, Mpro7, and most recently Lucas Extreme Duty(blue oil).

I have used and was not very impressed with Breakfree, Lucas gun oill (red oil), Rem oil, and others.

Last edited:
Not that this is new advice but using any major brand full synthetic 0w-20 works great. Cheap and 1 quart goes a long way. My guns don’t have Chrome lined barrels and maybe it’s just a placebo effect but a coat of lube thru my long gun barrels always makes them feel smoother shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back