2001 Solara - Brake Pads and Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Solara that was dropped off for front/rear brakes. The car has 288k and the owner wants to keep it for another year or two. The factory shim kit is long gone.

What parts would BITOG recommend installing? Cost is a major consideration.

Mid level front and rear sets from NAPA, I put a little brake sauce on them to prevent a comeback for squealing with any lower/mid tier pad.

Currently running ebay “brake overstock” dot com
Callahan ceramic pads and rotors
Very cheap and they work just fine for these

I recommend them

I would go with Bosch ceramic pads and wagner rotors. I have that setup currently and a great combo so far and not expensive.

I agree with what everyone else is saying with each having their own favorite.

I just did a Centric F & R C-Tek rotor & ceramic pads KIT from RockAuto. Shipped to my house was $97 for the mazda3.

The Solara will be $lightly different but, take a look to see if this is beneficial. 4cyl or V6 may have different part#'s so, do your own checking... kit...$130.** + shipping.

4 & V6 cyl 4whl disk w/hardware:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?...408&jsn=408

Drum & shoe kit 4cyl/V6:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5910858&cc=1375310&jsn=407&jsn=407

Use discount code also.

Last edited:
If you are going with brick and mortar.. I like NAPA pads and rotors. You can usually save a few bucks buying the 'kits' of pads and rotors.

I am very happy with Proformer pads and rotors.

Chinese rotors, either find Akebono's ISD pads on RockAuto - I was happy with them on my old LS400. If you can't, I'd probably get something from the local parts house - nothing too cheap but something like Bendix, Wagner QS series(and their Federated/Parts Master reboxes) or even mid-level O'Reilly or AutoZone can work.

RockAuto likely has the Raybestos SG Ceramic for this car for cheap. They are good; low/no dust, good performance, good life. IMO it is just not worth using anything cheaper - and these are usually really discounted. I have used them on several cars including a similar vintage ES with I think the same brake set up as this car. They come w/shims.

Be aware on this model, like other Toyotas of the vintage, the caliper pin hats like to leak and cause the pins to seize over time. It's worth cleaning them up, cleaning the pin bores out, and making sure the hats are healthy.

Wagner E-coated rotors and Monroe Total Solutions Ceramic pads from Rock Auto would be the best value. I chose the Monroe pads because they ship from the same warehouse.
part numbers
Wagner BD125223E
Monroe CX707

For a little more, the Akebono pads and DuraGo e-coated rotors would work, too.
part numbers
Dura-Go BR3105002
Akebono ACT707

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
RockAuto likely has the Raybestos SG Ceramic for this car for cheap. They are good; low/no dust, good performance, good life. IMO it is just not worth using anything cheaper - and these are usually really discounted. I have used them on several cars including a similar vintage ES with I think the same brake set up as this car. They come w/shims.

The Raybestos Service Grade(SG) Ceramic is one of and could possibly be my favorite "cheap" brake pad. I've used them with great success but, only when I was just replacing the pads. However, when weighing the difference in price as Critic is doing, and needing everything(pads & shims, rotors & hardware) then, this may not be the best solution.

It would be nice if there was a full brake kit with these Raybestos SG pads. That'd be nice!
smile.gif

Last edited:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My local NAPA store is outrageous so they are out of the question. Due to the timeline I had to order most of it locally, so I ordered thru WP. All of the parts in the picture totaled a little over $200.

All done. The previous pads were Centric 105 PosiQuiets- these feel much better. Unfortunately 3 out of the 4 corners had .002” of runout with new rotors, which is a bit more than I would have preferred to see.

Some pictures.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
All done. The previous pads were Centric 105 PosiQuiets- these feel much better.

Yuck. I had those once, a now-closed parts house in SF pushed those.

I have used the 4 BREMBO blanks in combo w/ Akebono PROACT ceramics on my wife's Lexus RX for it's first brake job.
This combo was the most OE like and I loved the way the all worked together.
Looks like you have the Cardone hardwear kit for the P-brakes? I've used them too. : )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have used the 4 BREMBO blanks in combo w/ Akebono PROACT ceramics on my wife's Lexus RX for it's first brake job.
This combo was the most OE like and I loved the way the all worked together.
Looks like you have the Cardone hardwear kit for the P-brakes? I've used them too. : )

No, those were Carlson hardware kits.

Yes Carlson! I had to look. I still have the boxes on a shelf in the garage with some of the old/decent hardware(adjusters,springs) in them. I should just throw'em away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back