Audits at work, how often ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you get audited at your place of employment ?

Is it a 2 hour audit..... or a 2 day audit with a fine tooth comb ?

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
... free lunch ....

What's that?

Each year.
They get stressed about things not done, then they are not doing them for another year.
Sorry guys, but it is not my job to guess what you dream at night....
Or that you loose all knowledge when somebody leaves....
Or that you hire people in the year 2018 who have no idea how to think logically or use a computer....

Yearly. And it takes +/- 2 months from beginning to end.

Starts next month.
frown.gif

This year is going to be extra-super-duper fun, as we are going to identify everything that might handle or store any form of high risk or sensitive data.

Been a while, but IIRC it could be a day, it could be a few. Depends upon what level they wanted to see. Did not impact me.

I went on a few audits of sub-cons and those were usually a few hours long, although it pretty much killed the day. But lunch was generally provided, which was a nice perk.

Once a year, in the spring. I don't mind, since I always ask for a raise at the same meeting, lasts half an hour tops, and often I get the raise (don't find out until a month later, usually). With our company, they have automatic raises for the first five years, and after that if you don't ask, you don't get. But if you do, you can move to the "double secret maximum wage" which is $8~10 /Hr higher. You probably will have to earn it in $1 hour increments, but sometimes more than that. I've been at the top wage for years, but I still ask for one and sometimes they move the bar and I get.

What type of audit?... financial? We get audited for our quality system and for environmental, health, and safety.

when i was at Boeing. one time my boss and his boss and i had a review. they ask me what my job was. i said i can tell you what i do. but its not my job to deiced WHAT my job is.

Argh! I hate audits!

I work for an automotive Tier 1 / Tier 2 supplier, so we go through all kinds of audits. We go through a TS 14001 environmental audit once a year I think. But it is the easiest of the audits we deal with. No stress at all, except for one or two people in the facility. We go through an IATF audit, which replaced the TS16949, which replaced the ISO 9001 audit, which was supposed have been the all encompassing replacement for all audits from the big 3. Yea, never happened. We still go through audits from GM and others. And each auto manufacturer still issues requirements above and beyond IATF that each supplier has to conform to.

Additionally, our company has a Quality Systems group which conducts internal audits to the IATF standards, to help us prepare for the annual external audit. Then our production lines have to go through a number of audits. Management and Engineering performs what we call Layered Process Audits. And 5S audits. There is no end to audits.

I'm getting close enough to retirement that I can now count the number of external audits I have to endure. If I weren't, I think I would change careers to find a job where the audits aren't such a PITA.

Many times per year. Some internal audits and some government (customer) audits. Last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

irregular single issue audits, handful of single days, couple of 1 weeks, 1 (or 2) 2 week.

Obviously I'm not required for the entirety of those periods, but a contributor to the whole.

Finances, Carbon accounting, fuel accounting, gate times versus pay slips, (every permit to work since 2015 was a new one)

Originally Posted By: Kestas
What type of audit?... financial? We get audited for our quality system and for environmental, health, and safety.

The A - Z type audit where you feel like a bloodhound is sniffing and sniffing....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

The A - Z type audit where you feel like a bloodhound is sniffing and sniffing....

That's when it gets maddening. We have two auditors in particular that come from the registrar that does our IATF audits. One of them is genuinely trying to verify that our systems meet the standard. He checks us to the standard and will consider our opinion when we feel the way we have done things meets the requirements. His boss is another story. She has stated that she has never audited a facility where she hasn't found a major finding. And she prides herself in that. Her motivation isn't to help us to have a great quality system that is complaint with IATF, but rather prove to all how thorough of an auditor she is. In her mind, she would fail if she were to complete an audit without having that major finding.

Every registrar I have ever dealt with has at least one auditor like this. And this is why many companies are so frustrated with the entire registration process.

Oh yes. The company I work for is subject to unannounced and announced FDA Inspections. As well as inspections by agencies such as the European Medicines Agency, the Russian Ministry of Health, Korean FDA, and more. And believe me, they do come and inspect regularly. And they usually last multiple days at least. They are taken extremely seriously as they affect the companies right to sell product.

We'll have a pretty thorough announced audit at least once a year with a large crowd of folks arriving on site. These are typically scheduled for three days but might be completed in two.
We'll have more regular announced and unannounced inspections.
We'll have a full fiscal audit every two-three years which typically involves one or two auditors and pretty much disrupts my operations for two-three weeks.
I know all of these people fairly well and we enjoy a relationship of mutual respect.
The chief auditor is not a buddy since I seriously questioned her competence for the record with good cause and she just can't let it go, especially since everyone involved knows that I was right and she was wrong.
I'm now close enough to planned retirement that I no longer get too excited about these sorts of things. I can also take early retirement any day I decide that I've had enough, which is very conducive to a relaxed attitude on my part.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Argh! I hate audits!

I work for an automotive Tier 1 / Tier 2 supplier, so we go through all kinds of audits. We go through a TS 14001 environmental audit once a year I think. But it is the easiest of the audits we deal with. No stress at all, except for one or two people in the facility. We go through an IATF audit, which replaced the TS16949, which replaced the ISO 9001 audit, which was supposed have been the all encompassing replacement for all audits from the big 3. Yea, never happened. We still go through audits from GM and others. And each auto manufacturer still issues requirements above and beyond IATF that each supplier has to conform to.

Additionally, our company has a Quality Systems group which conducts internal audits to the IATF standards, to help us prepare for the annual external audit. Then our production lines have to go through a number of audits. Management and Engineering performs what we call Layered Process Audits. And 5S audits. There is no end to audits.

I'm getting close enough to retirement that I can now count the number of external audits I have to endure. If I weren't, I think I would change careers to find a job where the audits aren't such a PITA.

This mirrors my experience as well. I try to steer college hopefuls away from this type of working environment.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Argh! I hate audits!

This mirrors my experience as well. I try to steer college hopefuls away from this type of working environment.

that doesn't make much sense to me. Audits are a pain, but they serve important purposes, and at least in my industry (Pharmaceuticals), they are critically important to ensure patience safety, and efficacy. And these industries also usually pay quite well for the engineering, and quality jobs.

I have seen in my industry where audits are more of a burden instead of ensuring good work comes out of the workplace. Our quality system does not guarantee that quality work comes out of our lab. It simply documents the lousy work.

Every place I've ever worked in the past has been run by professionals. We practised the basics of a quality system without input from any QS9000, TS17025, or A2LA. Audits have placed an incredible burden on engineering firms.

Every time an auditor comes up with deficiencies, I try to see how this affects our clients, and fail to see any direct connection. The system has turned into a self-serving entity.

I'm audited daily. Seriously, we have constant audits both internal and external. External audits include ISO and we have 2 of those yearly, One is ISO14001 for our environmental and ISO9002 for our vehicle manufacturing quality standards. Then, GM has there own quality system called GMS where we self audit weekly and the corp will come in 2x a year on average and verify our processes. Then we have the yearly Feds come in and verify our VIN plate operations. This is just the tip of the iceberg lol. We even have daily audits where we go to an operatiomn and verify the operator is properly trained, doing the job right. There are also safety audits, a lot of gov't audits, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back