PQIA Toyota 0w20 results are something!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PQIA just tested Toyota 0w20... And it is quite impressive.

10+ TBN
787 ppm of molybdenum
Viscosity index of 227 !!
Boron almost 200 ppm
NOACK is 12.7
And CCS of just a bit over 4100.

Of course Mobil is making their OEM oil here in the US. This is quite an interesting and impressive 0w20 made by M1.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I really doubt it. But.. this special "sauce" for Toyotas looks quite good. It's obvious they have gone to a very high molybdenum formulation to help with any boundary layer oil circumstances. I'd run this Toyota 0w20, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance if I had to run a 0w20.

Last edited:
Is this is a reformulation, or does Canada get a different TGMO? I sent off a sample for a VOA about a year ago and it's quite different.
jYviOnQ.jpg

Last edited:
The lower Ca is likely because of the Mg. That's the strategy XOM uses in M1 products as well.

I'd love to see PQIA evaluate theTGMO 0W16.

Just did a quick check on a half dozen other virgin analysis on this website. Has anyone seen a moly concentration as high as 787 ppm? I appreciate the test, but either the oil was completely re formulated or the lab made a mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
Is this is a reformulation, or does Canada get a different TGMO? I sent off a sample for a VOA about a year ago and it's quite different.
jYviOnQ.jpg

Maybe ready for the "plus" part?

The highish volatility is predictable, given the high viscosity index and low CCS numbers. It may not be such a great plan for engines notorious for carbon-clogged rings.

Last edited:
I'm not a 0W20 guy, but that oil looks impressive to me.
Zinc ~ 880 ppm (healthy)
Moly ~ 790 ppm (massive)
Boron ~ 200 ppm (generous)
TBN ~ 10.3 (long life)

And the Noack is still reasonable at 12.9 %, with a KV100 of 8.36 cSt.

Mix it 50:50 with a HDEO 15W40 mineral, to make something like a 10W30 semi-synthetic, and I would definitely give it a run.

Why mixing...when he can buy HDEO 10w30 with greater zddp levels & same TBN...ok he will miss only Moly then...

Moly levels of 800ppm-ish are pretty much standard for PCMOs in Japan. They put this much in because they reckon it's good for fuel economy. This may or may not be true. However, even if it is true (and I'm a sceptic), it's highly unlikely that it's cost-effective (the add-on cost of the Moly exceeding the cost of the fuel you save).

Is this Toyota oil a good oil? Yes. Does it massively exceed the basic requirements of API SN? Yes. Is it sensible to use this stuff over a lesser but cheaper Group III based 0W20 for a 10,000 mile oil drain? I doubt it. Is it sensible to use this stuff over any other cheap oil over a 5k OCI. Categorically not! Is this oil flawed in any way? Possibly. That Noack is going to do you no favours over the long term regarding ring stick and the impact of that high level of Moly on seals would give me cause for concern.

I wonder what this oil cost sonofjoe... That is a factor in the real economy or lack there of it at the end of the day. From what I've heard is the oil from Toyota dealerships is rather reasonable in price.

Has far as the NOACK being at 12%.. Well it is not the low standard of say MB 229.5.. but it is way better than API SH or SJ oil from 20 years or more ago. I don't think oil that is changed within good reason would present with a problem related to 12 percent NOACK. I do like that number to be lower myself. In fact I am impressed with Warren Oil's Lubrigold 5w30 and it's 10% NOACK. Which put in right in line with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I wonder what the NOACK is of my Warren Distribution made Federated Auto full synthetic oil is?? Something tells me it is likely around 12% as well.

It’s actually nice to see a proprietary product that really does provide advantages over off-the-shelf oils. I’ve used TGMO in our 2012 Sienna which comes with a 10,000 mile OCI spec without so much as an OLM. I’ve also used it in my daughter’s Honda VCM V6 because Moly was/is one of the factory cures for VCM failures. Both engines are low stress. The minivan rarely is revved above 3000 rpm. At 75,000 miles, mile OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
It’s actually nice to see a proprietary product that really does provide advantages over off-the-shelf oils. I’ve used TGMO in our 2012 Sienna which comes with a 10,000 mile OCI spec without so much as an OLM. I’ve also used it in my daughter’s Honda VCM V6 because Moly was/is one of the factory cures for VCM failures. Both engines are low stress. The minivan rarely is revved above 3000 rpm. At 75,000 miles, mile OCIs.

After reading SonofJoe's comments I see no real advantages.
21.gif

Hi SOJ,

Would I be correct in thinking that this oil must have an unusually high VII treat rate and this is also typical of Japanese PCMOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back