VOA Valvoline Synthetic Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy the new Dexos1Gen2 Valvoline Synthetic 5w30. Purchased as Walmart in Feb2018 with a manufacture date of Jan 23 2018.

Code:

VOA - Valvoline Synthetic Dexos1 Gen2 5w30

VOA

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 66

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 35

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 247

SILICON 10

SODIUM 1

CALCIUM 1145

MAGNESIUM 844

PHOSPHORUS 781

ZINC 826

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.6

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.11

Flashpoint 445

Fuel %

Antifreeze %

Water %

Insolubles % 0

TBN 7.5

Is this the Valvoline Advanced Synthetic or Modern Engine?

Interesting that they are using moly again due to sodium being complicit with LSPI. The titanium is a bit of a surprise.

Very, very much appreciated smithph.

I agree PimTac. The titanium and boron are very good to see. It looks like a 2000 ppm of calcium and magnesium is one of the additive packages that is now in use by a number of oil manufacturers. Like Mobil 1 was for a long, long time prior. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Very, very much appreciated smithph.

I agree PimTac. The titanium and boron are very good to see. It looks like a 2000 ppm of calcium and magnesium is one of the additive packages that is now in use by a number of oil manufacturers. Like Mobil 1 was for a long, long time prior. Interesting.

Good point. It seems like we are going back in time minus the titanium. I like this formulation having always been a fan of big boron.

I have a feeling everything will begin to look like this (slight variations of course). LSPI has the industry by the jewels.

Thanks for posting OP
thumbsup2.gif

Wow !!
Ti = 35 ppm
Boron = 247 ppm
Mo = 66 ppm
I wasn't expecting that. The lack of Sodium I get, to reduce LSPI, but those other adds are a big change for Valvoline which has been traditionally slim on the metallic add pack.

Ca = 1145 ppm + Mg = 844 ppm for a TBN of 7.5 makes sense too. It will be interesting to see how the TBN holds up with a UOA at something like 7500 miles

For an ILSAC 30 grade, the zinc (826 ppm) is at the top end of what to expect, and the KV100 (10.1 cSt) is right in the middle.

Thank You Smithph, a very interesting VOA

The D1G1 and this D1G2 from Valvoline are two very different oils.

The bottle it came out of says "Valvoline Full Synthetic". The words "Modern Engine" do not appear on the bottle.

This went into a 2009 Saturn Vue with the NON-GDI 3.6LT. I plan to have a UOA done once the mileage minder says it is done since this is a somewhat new to me vehicle.

Originally Posted By: smithph
The bottle it came out of says "Valvoline Full Synthetic". The words "Modern Engine" do not appear on the bottle.

This went into a 2009 Saturn Vue with the NON-GDI 3.6LT. I plan to have a UOA done once the mileage minder says it is done since this is a somewhat new to me vehicle.

It sounds like the Advanced Synthetic. In any case it will serve you well.

It has to be the Advanced full synthetic. The people at Valvoline made a big change with their additive package. Which is an obvious change due to LSPI.

So the question I have is let's say you have an older motor let's say a Jeep 4.0 straight 6 what formula is better the old Valvoline synthetic with lots of sodium or this new formula?

Originally Posted By: wemay
I have a feeling everything will begin to look like this (slight variations of course). LSPI has the industry by the jewels.

Thanks for posting OP
thumbsup2.gif

I think you are correct. If so the question of which brand is the best will be a vain exercise.

One thing I would say though is that the basic base stocks are not known. And those could separate the better from better yet still
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
One thing I would say though is that the basic base stocks are not known. And those could separate the better from better yet still
smile.gif

True but that in itself becomes more of a mine as more than yours” argument without knowing if one is really better or not. We will need something to post about here.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So the question I have is let's say you have an older motor let's say a Jeep 4.0 straight 6 what formula is better the old Valvoline synthetic with lots of sodium or this new formula?

I would have no fear using either. The new stuff looks good, but the old stuff was a well known solid performer.

Buy the old stuff on sale, until there is none left. Then move on to the new stuff.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
A Jeep 4.0 isn't very picky on what you run in it, but mine seems to appreciate a fairly thick HM oil, it has fairly loose tolerances everywhere at 235K miles (except rings, amazingly). I've used Synpower 10W30 in it, but it uses less with MaxLife blend, 10W30 in winter, 10W40 in summer. My vote would be old formula-not going to have LSPI issues.

Kind of surprised at even that level of calcium for a D1 G2 LSPI reduction oriented oil.

The boron, moly (guessing trimer
21.gif
), and titanium can only help for that LSPI 'concerned' spec.

I hope the NOACK is not too high with that Ca level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back