ATE Coated Rotors for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experience with these for BMW, specifically E90? Or better to pay extra for the OE BMW?

I've used the Ate Original (Germany) and Brembo (Italy) rotors in the past with good success on other BMWs. The ATE Coated are made in China, at least the part numbers for my car, which likely explains the lower cost. Many of the new Brembo replacements are China now also. Can't seem to find the ATE Original rotors over here anymore, I guess they keep them all in Europe!

Other suggestions welcome, thanks.

Yep theyre fine, theyre not "OEM manufacturers" but theres a factory out there producing rotors for alot of manufacturers now, I noticed the Textar/Meyle/ATE/Bosch are all made by the same company, based on packaging and their coating. Zimmerman, Brembo High Carbon Coated, and Sebro all make them for BMW, so same stuff outta Germany or similar.

Ive had good luck painting rotor hats. Not sure of the cost for coating, but it doesn't necessarily last forever, even if the car sees no salt.

EBC rotors are mostly made in the UK. They do offer a rotor that is coated. Autoanything usually has the best prices on EBC
smile.gif

Other good rotors are Centric Premium and Wagner E-coated. They are made in China, but the coating on them is awesome and they are good rotors.

If you can find them, Fremax makes some good rotors, too. They are made in Brazil

For a Euro application, it is important to use damped iron since they use low metallic pads. Using regular rotors result in reduced friction levels and inadequate sound dampening.

If you want to buy Chinese rotors, get the Textar High Carbon rotors. Otherwise, pay the difference for Zimmerman coated or OE BMW. We generally use Zimmerman coated rotors and OE friction from the dealer.

After Balo went under, I switched to Zimmerman.

Whatever cost savings are achieved by the others by manufacturing in China don't seem to make a big difference in the retail pricing (~$6 more for Z coated, fabriqué en Allemagne).

I would be looking at Zimmerman as well.

Have you priced out OE rotors? You might be surprised how cheap they are, especially if ordered from a discount friendly online dealer.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Have you priced out OE rotors? You might be surprised how cheap they are, especially if ordered from a discount friendly online dealer.

Exactly; I always check a couple of dealer sites before I check the aftermarket part sites.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Usually the dealers stock is made by Zimmerman, or Sebro. Same thing except for the dealer tax.

Since when ZImmerman is making OE BMW rotors?
Zimmerman is high quality replacement rotor, but not in business of delivering OE rotors.
OE rotors for BMW are TMD, ATE, FAD, Balo (while it was operational), Brembo (M models).

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads are the way to go.

Pagid was acquired by TMD (Textar). It is now cheaper pad of two. Textar is way to go when it comes to TMD products.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Any experience with these for BMW, specifically E90? Or better to pay extra for the OE BMW?

I've used the Ate Original (Germany) and Brembo (Italy) rotors in the past with good success on other BMWs. The ATE Coated are made in China, at least the part numbers for my car, which likely explains the lower cost. Many of the new Brembo replacements are China now also. Can't seem to find the ATE Original rotors over here anymore, I guess they keep them all in Europe!

Other suggestions welcome, thanks.

I actually have Brembo rotors waiting to be installed on X5 and they are Made in Italy with ATE pads made in Germany.
Too bad they making stuff there.
If youa re uncomfortable with ATE from China, try EBC. Those I had were all made in UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back