Royal Purple back at Wal-Mart (5w20/5w30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's unfortunate.

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
Did they change the formula ? Would explain the close out and absence.

I can see the dexos1 Gen 2 logo on the 5W30, but not the 5W20.
I think the 5W30 definitely would have needed a reformulation to meet d1G2, it used to have high calcium and sodium.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I think the 5W30 definitely would have needed a reformulation to meet d1G2, it used to have high calcium and sodium.

Absolutely VP. I changed the Sonata's oil today, using the 5w20 and there is no dexos logo on the front or lic# on back...

Originally Posted By: wemay
What's unfortunate about it?
21.gif

$38 is a bit steep sir Wemay.

Sad that they want that $$$ for a purple dye oil, thank god I have my $1 and under stash
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
21.gif

$38 is a bit steep sir Wemay.

Sad that they want that $$$ for a purple dye oil, thank god I have my $1 and under stash
smile.gif

I'm a sucker for Purple
smile.gif

I actually like Purple too..

But in all of the oil ran in my Altima 3.5 coupe.. RP actually was spooky in noise I heard in my car while running it. And it was not oil filter related. Strange deal there.

Having said that... I have no doubt that Royal Purple is a very good oil. Just not in my VQ motor.

Hey car51 I got 10 qts of Federated Auto full synthetic oil for less the RP. And by a decent margin at $33.

But I don't knock anyone for running what they want to run. I have run RP as well. Plus numerous other oil that was over $25 for 5 qts.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

I see you missed the trolling emoji
wink.gif

Lol, sorry, i did.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I actually like Purple too..

But in all of the oil ran in my Altima 3.5 coupe.. RP actually was spooky in noise I heard in my car while running it. And it was not oil filter related. Strange deal there.

Having said that... I have no doubt that Royal Purple is a very good oil. Just not in my VQ motor.

It's funny you bring this up...
My wife's previous car was an M37 with that wonderfully throaty VQ. We ran RP in it after the maintenance pkg expired. I couldn't tell, but she always mentioned how much smoother it ran. Go figure. Lol

The 3.7 is a bit different of another animal. It has the DLC on the cylinder walls. It well could have been the RP was a better match for that motor by how and what the motor was like. Makes sense to me.

I'll never pay that much....

I DO have some royal purple - all of it was clearanced out at low prices

I miss the good old days when I used to buy cases (12 quart cases) of Synerlec Royal Purple for $24
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'll never pay that much....

I DO have some royal purple - all of it was clearanced out at low prices

I also bought a bunch of RPHP when it was on clearance at WM. Ended up with enough for 6 oil changes. The last of it is in the crankcase of my Outback right now.

Honestly, I'm glad to have it gone, and if WM put RP on clearance again, I'd probably pass on picking any up. My Outback goes through a little less than a quart of oil every 7500 mile oci, but when I use RPHP, it goes through more than a quart.

It always seemed odd to me that WM would have even carried RP. After all, WM is all about giving the consumer more for less, and that typically means that they carry a selection of less expensive products. Black and Decker power tools instead of Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita. Huffy bicycles instead of GT or Cannondale. So RP has never seemed like it fit with WM marketing.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Just the 0W-20 and 5W-30 are licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back