Best oil and filter for over 200k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Honda CR-V that just rolled over 200,000 miles and now needs an oil change, too. I'm 16, this is my "first car", I have only had it since September so I have never done an oil change on it before. I was curious to know what you guys would think the best oil and filter combo would be. If it matters, I get all my stuff at O'Reilly. Thanks!

Good on you for wanting to do the job yourself!

Telling us about your driving style will better help us recommend an oil/filter combo.

Do you know what the previous owner used?

Last edited:
First off - My hat's off to you for your motivation to do the work yourself. In my opinion, being able to do your own basic automotive maintenance is an extremely valuable thing.. and not enough young people today really know how to it, much less are willing to make the effort.

Having said that, without really knowing the history of that vehicle, nor your driving habits, I would say a good quality semi-syn and/or High-Mileage oil would do the trick, along with a good quality filter. Since you'll be buying from O'reilly, you might as well go with a WIX filter, or a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra.

Oil-wise, if I were in your shoes, I would most likely buy either Valvoline MaxLife or Pennzoil HM. Both are great oils, decently priced, and have good track records.

Good to see someone take the initiative to change their oil. While your oil is draining, it’s a perfect time to check your tires and tire pressures, your other fluid levels, and just a good look overall at the belts and underneath. Someday you will catch something in the early stages and easily fixable rather than waiting for failure and a expensive repair bill.

I agree with the previous suggestions of a synblend and or high mileage oil that meets specs.

Do you know what the previous owner used for oil? What oil filter is on it now?

welcome2.gif

As you may know, your CRV has the computer suggest you an OCI based on your driving conditions. While it was designed with any synthetic or conventional 5w20 in mind, I still like to use synthetic in those cars and run it to the full OCI suggested by the computer. This is because house brand synthetics are often on sale at or near the price of dino, and the name brand synthetics often have good rebate specials.

O'Reilly has Wix filters, which are good filters.

Right now, O'R has the house brand synthetic and a Wix filter for $26.99

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone! I want to do my oil change myself not just because I want to learn but because I've had 3 friends now have Jiffy Lube grenade their motors, so I don't want to take any risks.

To reply to all of y'all at once, the previous owner was a family member, and I know they always took it to the local Valvoline and according to the current windshield sticker as well as the maintenance logs it's filled with "5W20-MXB"(?) whatever that is. I understand the 5W-20 obviously, but not the "MXB", I'm pretty sure it's either conventional or a blend.

It does burn a little bit of oil too, I check all my fluid levels and tire pressures before almost every time I drive (better safe than sorry) and I've had to add a quart to the car (over time). Not too bad at least. I mean there's no visible leaks or smoke!

Regarding my driving style, I drive kinda hard, not intentionally, the throttle on this thing is SUPER touchy! It sees 5k+ rpm at least once every time I drive somewhere, lol.

Also regarding house-brand synthetics, is the SuperTech from Walmart any good? My buddy swears by it and it's all he uses in his Silverado and Bonneville so I figured I'd ask as well.

In a 200k mile vehicle ( or any common vehicle for that matter) you should be fine with supertech or whatever is on sale as long as you change it on time and keep it filled. I prefer to buy synthetic on sale. You’re on the right track, the best investment you can make is in yourself ( in this case its mechanical knowledge). Another great investment is in tools, they will pay for themselves many times over. Good luck.

I've heard things before about synthetic oil causing higher mileage cars to develop leaks. Should I run conventional?

Originally Posted By: cwilliamsws6
I've heard things before about synthetic oil causing higher mileage cars to develop leaks. Should I run conventional?

I'd run conventional every 5000 miles. Whatever is on sale and cheapest at O'Reilley's.

I was curious to know what you guys would think the best oil and filter combo would be.

1) whatever you get cheap on clearance
2) whatever you get cheap on clearance

My
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I was curious to know what you guys would think the best oil and filter combo would be.

1) whatever you get cheap on clearance
2) whatever you get cheap on clearance

My
49.gif

My local Kmart is closing and on clearance they have 5-quart jugs of "Super S Multi-Flo" synthetic 5W-20. Is that any good? If so I'll go by tomorrow morning and get one.

Super S is very good oil. It I said to have 10 percent of real group 4 synthetic oil blended in. I have run it in my Altima 3.5 VQ and it ran very quiet on Super S.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Super S is very good oil. It I said to have 10 percent of real group 4 synthetic oil blended in. I have run it in my Altima 3.5 VQ and it ran very quiet on Super S.

Well that pretty much seals the deal for me then. Thanks!

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone! I want to do my oil change myself not just because I want to learn but because I've had 3 friends now have Jiffy Lube grenade their motors, so I don't want to take any risks.

To reply to all of y'all at once, the previous owner was a family member, and I know they always took it to the local Valvoline and according to the current windshield sticker as well as the maintenance logs it's filled with "5W20-MXB"(?) whatever that is. I understand the 5W-20 obviously, but not the "MXB", I'm pretty sure it's either conventional or a blend.

It does burn a little bit of oil too, I check all my fluid levels and tire pressures before almost every time I drive (better safe than sorry) and I've had to add a quart to the car (over time). Not too bad at least. I mean there's no visible leaks or smoke!

Regarding my driving style, I drive kinda hard, not intentionally, the throttle on this thing is SUPER touchy! It sees 5k+ rpm at least once every time I drive somewhere, lol.

Also regarding house-brand synthetics, is the SuperTech from Walmart any good? My buddy swears by it and it's all he uses in his Silverado and Bonneville so I figured I'd ask as well.

Welcome! For what it's worth, I think the "MXB" on your sticker means Maxlife Blend, a very highly-regarded synthetic blend (here and other places) oil from Valvoline. If I knew that's what it was run on in the past, I'd likely stick with that and sleep well.

Walmart had 5w20 on sale for $9 a 5 quart jug with free shipping. I bought six. Use a genuine Honda filter. Nothing looks like you care about your car more, than a factory filter. You can find them under $5 when you buy a 6 pack.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Use a genuine Honda filter. Nothing looks like you care about your car more, than a factory filter.

I understand where you are coming from here but I remember reading that Honda filters are now made by FRAM, and seeing all the bad stuff about Fram everywhere makes me a bit iffy on this.

Hope you don't use Purolator made filters if you want to take about "bad stuff".
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back