Death wish opens today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never go to movie theaters but I’m planning on seeing this movie today. I hope it’s at least half as good as the original Bronson death wish movies.

I enjoyed the movie back in the day. It was a response to the rampant crime of the 70s, to get vengeance.

Unfortunately most people do not realize how amazingly better crimes statistics are today.

It's good business for news, politicians, and filmmakers to keep us afraid.

I remember when Hollywood made original movies. Those were the days.

I'm sure it'll have none of the slowly-paced nuance that the original had, and instead be totally over the top for today's brain-dead moviegoers. And that's coming from someone who likes revenge flicks, gunfights and Bruce Willis.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

I'm sure it'll have none of the slowly-paced nuance that the original had, and instead be totally over the top for today's brain-dead moviegoers. And that's coming from someone who likes revenge flicks, gunfights and Bruce Willis.

AKA, The Jackal meets the city?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm sure the folks in Baltimore, Chicago and Miami will just love this movie...

I’m sure the thugs in Baltimore, Chicago and Miami will just hate this movie... fixed it for ya!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm sure the folks in Baltimore, Chicago and Miami will just love this movie...

Nah,
Where just trying to catch up in reputation with time-share sale reps hunting vacationeers...... or is it the Disney gators?

Now can I go back to enjoying my Italian sandwich while folks all over various places think WW III is happening next to me?

I do want to see it, but I can wait till it comes on one of the movie channels. My wife is not into those kind of movies. Gives her nightmares.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

things have not changed
you may just be remembering when you were younger and carefree. Your parents generation probably said the same thing about the stuff you thought was good.
I remember watching Ernest Saves Christmas in the theater and thinking it was awesome. But I was also a kid and would view it differently noe.

There were a ton of sequels and pop movies in the "good old days" that were just rehashes of the same plots. And back then you didnt have rotten tomatoes to guide you

There are plenty of good original movies now too. None of the superhero movies or remakes are up for Oscars, for example, nor do they expect to be.

Last edited:
I plan on going to see this one with my dad. I remember the original, and I liked it, but it will be interesting to see this version.

Side note - When I first saw the trailer for this, for some reason, it did not click that this was a remake. I just remembered thinking "ooh, that looks good." It wasn't until about 10 minutes later that it clicked in my head that it was a remake of the Bronson movie. I like Bruce Willis, and it looks like they've put some good people in this one, so I'm excited to see it.

I'm OK with actors making a living and having a following but there's a limit. by that I mean, "Another stressed out Bruce Willis movie".
Tha they go to stars all the time points towards bad scripts. Go and worship (fill in name here). I don't like it.

Ya know what else I don't like? Movie services like Netflix etc. never have the movies I want. I had the thought to rent the original or #2 or even #3 but I know it won't be there.
EVERY time I've looked to Netflix, they don't have what I want.

Bruce Willis is too old to be playing these parts now...he's more appropriately aged to play Norman in a remake of "On Golden Pond"...

Bruce is in pretty good shape (obviously works out), and he can play a pretty good bad guy. Always nice to see scumbags get what they deserve, even if it's only in the movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Bruce Willis is too old to be playing these parts now...he's more appropriately aged to play Norman in a remake of "On Golden Pond"...

I can see it now: Die Hard on Golden Pond..

I loved the original Death Wish series, but will probably wait for this one to come out on DVD.

One of the trailers shows the need for proper jackstand usage. And why exactly is the rolling floor jack hooked to a long chain? I guess we will find out soon!

Originally Posted By: grampi

Charles Bronson was 53 when he did the original Death Wish in 1974.. and even older when he did the subsequent sequels.

Bruce Willis is 62 now, and IMHO, is at least as well-suited to the task in this new one.

Originally Posted By: BlastChamber
One of the trailers shows the need for proper jackstand usage. And why exactly is the rolling floor jack hooked to a long chain? I guess we will find out soon!

The previews I've seen shows exactly what the chain is for. Bruce isn't going to kill the dude under the car ... "jack" is.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlastChamber

The previews I've seen shows exactly what the chain is for. Bruce isn't going to kill the dude under the car ... "jack" is.

Bruce Willis wraps the chain around the floor jack just before he says...no....”Jack is”. It’s not as good as the old Bronson versions, but still a very good movie. He ditches his Beretta 92 from the diehard movies for a Glock 17 in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back