Dealers/shops always overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So..

I have noticed something. Had my car serviced at the local Toyota dealer today. Nd the car came back 1 cm overfilled.. it happened too the last time, it has happened several times for friends and family as well, is it just me. Or is it like dealers/shops very often end up overfilling the engine? At least in shops here in Denmark. Is it the same in the US?

Have a great weekend all.
smile.gif

They overfill in case you burn some oil during the OCI. Most people never check their oil so this provides some 'protection.'

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Worried about 1cm. Really...

No I am not.. it it overfilled by 1 to 1,5 cm. I think it is okay. Maybe half a liter.

I actually do this on the wife's car. Usually it finishes off the jug as well and it stays above the fill line for 8-10k miles... I assume 1 cm over has no effect and with my old cars I don't worry about it.
Back in my jiffy lube days I was always amazed how they got it right on the full line when they showed you, but now I assume they must have a technique to drop the stick to the right spot.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
They overfill in case you burn some oil during the OCI. Most people never check their oil so this provides some 'protection.'

This.

One cm overfilled is a lot. I would take some out. Yes, it is very common in the USA even at the dealer. Just carelessness on their part, no doubt they don't waste oil on purpose.

The dealers do overfill. Also-if they thought it caused any harm they wouldn't do it.

A good per-percentage of oil changes on vehicles at dealers are under warranty.

For all anybody knows they could be doing this with the whatever manufacturers approval.

To quote a poster on here-(me) you motor will not blow up.

I overfill my Rav4 and Camry. Better a little over than a little under.

My dealership changed my factory fill. It was to the top of the plastic part of the dipstick. Service manager said their oil gun may need to be recalibrated. Engine calls for 4.23 quarts. When I do it 4 quarts is perfect. Right like it came from the factory.

I am thinking they just follow some book that lists the proper amount, not what is necessarily needed. The other thing is they may be removing plug and installing it before all the oil comes out. At home I take my time until no more drips observed.

The rumor among Subaru owners was that the dealers were doing this to mask oil consumption issues. Haven't had any noticeable consumption in our two Subies yet...

I have to admit that I tend to overfill a bit, I aim for on the line and don't like it below so it's either "perfect" (less often) or a bit too high (more common). I get it close (slightly low) on the initial fill, drive it around for a while, park it and let it cool down, then check it later and (usually) add some more.

I suppose it might be the case that it is on the line when Mr. Jiffy Lube shows you the stick in the shop and is then a little high after you let it cool down at home because the oil is still settling at the former location?

I think the perfect excuse is they overfill it because they assume people don't check their oil. That's what I'd be telling people if I overfilled their oil and they called me out.
wink.gif
I wonder what the story is when they under fill it? I bet they have one too, like: this brand car runs best when the oil is under the full mark. lol Never admit your wrong seems to be the motto in many repair shops. lol

Maybe people don't have a feel for metric. 1-1.5 cm overfilled is grossly overfilled. Look in any owners manual and usually it's in bold print. DO NOT OVERFILL. The oil pan is just a bowl with a tube in it, but the engine designers consider cars goin up and down grades, going around bends fast and many things. You don't want your oil pan oil aerated. I would immediately drain some out. One or two mm is probably OK but not ten to fifteen. If a car burns oil, you add some later.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I was always amazed how they got it right on the full line when they showed you, but now I assume they must have a technique to drop the stick to the right spot.

The technique is called "keep pulling the dipstick out and wiping it as the oil makes its way from the top of the engine, to the oil pan".

It's a very scientific process.

wink.gif

They fill to the capacity listed, but the drain might not be fully drained as your car is coming in hot with oil flowing in the engine, or your crankcase (or stick) might be dented or not taking the full capacity.

Also because if they filled or aimed for middle of min max. people would be up in arms thinking they are getting cheated out of their .25qts by the stealership.

At startup your crankcase level is already much higher versus when running, the tolerances for oil level is not that tight. If you believe the doom and gloom, then every startup is aerating your oil.

Last edited:
Is it really overfilling on their part or not completely draining the old oil? There are plenty of stories of lube techs who put the drain plug back when the oil is still trickling or small streaming to speed up the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back