My first gun: new Glock 19 gen 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm now officially a handgun owner.

I've been going to the gun shows at the local expo center and pretty much knew what I wanted, more or less. I was really looking more at a S&W M&P, a SIG P320, maybe an FN 509 or inexpensive Ruger Security 9, really not wanting a Glock since they are so common and I wanted something a little different. I got close to buying a few times but always got turned off by the 'overly enthusiastic' folks running some of the booths there.

I was turned on to a small local shop near where I work. Reviews online where real good. Guys there, both the owner and his buddies, were friendly. After telling him what I was looking for, he still recommended the Glock 19 and after going through the whole list of pros (the only con for me being 'everyone else has one') I was sold. For a first (and possibly only) pistol that's a known quality piece, and has support anywhere and everywhere, he didn't really have to try too hard to sell it to me.

Now I'm perusing the Internet for ways to get rid of that already-annoying mag finger hole that my pinky rests on. Looks like aftermarket mag baseplates are in my future already.

Nice choice! The "everyone else has one" is a bit of a double edged sword. The 19 was my first centerfire firearm, still probably my favorite to shoot.

In your comparisons, any reason in particular you went with the Gen 5? Previous generations don't have the mag well hole, but some have the finger grooves (which may be a trade off to some).

The Glock 19 is a great choice. It's a practical size, fits a lot of shooters, great reliability, good capacity.

Not a bad choice. There are reasons to consider a .22, a revolver, a 1911, etc., etc. as your first gun, but the G19 is a great overall choice for a variety of reasons. Congrats! Now go punch holes in paper and show us how you did!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
In your comparisons, any reason in particular you went with the Gen 5?

That's what he had in stock.
wink.gif

I'm usually a fan of getting the latest and greatest so even if I had a choice between a 4 and a 5, and the price was the same, I probably would have gotten a 5 anyway. I know Glock has made quite a few changes to their new pistols but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was for good reason and not just to make them cheaper to make.

I also just really wanted a new new one, and this gen 5 was in the shop all of a day apparently.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The Glock 19 is a great choice. It's a practical size, fits a lot of shooters, great reliability, good capacity.

Yeah, I didn't really want a full-sized pistol. The grip on this could be just a smidge longer but beyond that it really is the perfect size.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not a bad choice. There are reasons to consider a .22, a revolver, a 1911, etc., etc. as your first gun, but the G19 is a great overall choice for a variety of reasons. Congrats! Now go punch holes in paper and show us how you did!

You won't be impressed, trust me. My vision's not what it used to be so we'll see what happens. lol

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

You won't be impressed, trust me. My vision's not what it used to be so we'll see what happens. lol

Then you might have considered one of the pistols that can have an optic affixed. I think there is a G19 G4 MOS slide - not sure if the G4 slide works on the G5 frame... New slides are available on GB pretty routinely.

I shot a G20 and 21 as rentals the other day at a range I visited. The holes just kept going in the same place more or less. Was pretty impressed.

I'm usually a fan of getting the latest and greatest so even if I had a choice between a 4 and a 5, and the price was the same, I probably would have gotten a 5 anyway. I know Glock has made quite a few changes to their new pistols but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was for good reason and not just to make them cheaper to make.

I also just really wanted a new new one, and this gen 5 was in the shop all of a day apparently.

Congratulations on your purchase!

The 19 is an awesome gun. I've had 100% reliability since I purchased mine in 2004. I alternate between the 19 and the 43 everyday.

Join the NRA and support your right to protect your family, before it's taken away from you.

Then you might have considered one of the pistols that can have an optic affixed.

Yes, I was considering a P320 with the red dot sight but just couldn't justify $900 for one. I still want one, so who knows, maybe someday.

I held one. I HATE the mag rip cutout in the front of the grip. They totally screwed the pooch on the Gen 5 grip. The Gen 5 G17 is better, and better yet, the G19X is the most comfortable Glock grip in existence.

Then you might have considered one of the pistols that can have an optic affixed.

Yes, I was considering a P320 with the red dot sight but just couldn't justify $900 for one. I still want one, so who knows, maybe someday.

No they make glocks that can do it. See my comments on the G4 MOS above.

No they make glocks that can do it. See my comments on the G4 MOS above.

Yep, I follow you, I just wasn't looking at Glocks at the time when I was looking at pistols with factory-installed red dots.

So looking at the manual, this stood out:

Your GLOCK pistol should be cleaned and lubricated as follows:
1. when brand new, before the first time it is fired, plus
2. after each time it is fired, plus
3. as required.

Don't these things come clean and lubed form the factory? It's never going to be any cleaner than when it's new, and I would assume they would lube it first, right? Or is this one of those 'everyone has their own idea of what best practice is' things?

Don't these things come clean and lubed form the factory?

They have some copper anti seize grease on the slide rails. But that's about it. The gun is clean because it's brand new. Usually all I've ever done the first time out, was oil the slide rails and the tabs they ride on. Then after I get home I field strip it, wash it down and relube it with grease on the slide... Oil everywhere else.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Yeah, I didn't really want a full-sized pistol. The grip on this could be just a smidge longer but beyond that it really is the perfect size.

Congrats on your first pistol.
thumbsup2.gif

This is why I won't buy that size frame Glock. My pinky wants to slip off the end of the grip.
I do like the X19, but (2) reasons why I won't buy it are, the color, and the RIDICULOUS high price!
Glock did a great thing by combining their full size grip with a sub compact slide. If they would make a lineup of these in different calibers they would sell billions of them. I know I would buy one, or two. Oh, and lower the price.
I will STILL put my SD9 up against ANY G19.
27.gif
28.gif

The 19X is not expensive ($594 currently). It comes with night sights ($85 upgrade) and two plus-two base plates on your 19 round magazines (another $30 upgrade). The ceracote coloring would be another $150, but I wont add that since most folks would prefer a standard black one. A standard Gen 5 glock is $540. So its only $54 more dollars, but it comes with night sights and the extra base plates for the magazines.

Its cheaper to buy a 19X than it is to buy a gen 5 G17 and add night sights yourself.

I own the 19X and it is the sweetest Glock ever invented (in the hand). It just feels right. Amazing balance, amazing feel in the hand (compared to Gen 3 or Gen 4), nice shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back