Lexus ES 350 oil change recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

Newbie here. My 2011 ES is up for an oil change and I want to go full synthetic.
This would be the very first change over to synthetic.

Mileage: 58K
Engine model: 2GR-FE
Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-30 (if unavailable, SAE 10W-30 maybe used)

Please give your expert recommendations on the synthetic oil type/brands I should consider including filters.
I plan on buying the oil/filters and getting the change done at Walmart or a good local lube shop.
Can I go directly to a synthetic or do I need to step through a blend?
Online/local store to buy oil/filters etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus High Mileage 5W30 and a Fram Ultra!!! You can use the $10.00 rebate for Pennzoil synthetics also.
wink.gif

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W30 and a Fram Ultra!!! You can use the $10.00 rebate for Pennzoil synthetics also.
wink.gif

Not a high mileage vehicle. You might want to avoid high mileage oils until you see leaking or an oil consumption problem.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W30 and a Fram Ultra!!! You can use the $10.00 rebate for Pennzoil synthetics also.
wink.gif

Not a high mileage vehicle. You might want to avoid high mileage oils until you see leaking or an oil consumption problem.

The HM oils many times are the ones on sale. But you'd be smart to avoid them because they will cause what specific damage to your car?

Depends....What are your driving habits? All city, go cheap and change more frequently. All highway, do extended drains with an oil designed for it (M1 EP, Amsoil)

Any major brand that meets the specs for your Lexus will do. How long do you plan to go between oil changes?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: knerml
wink.gif

The HM oils many times are the ones on sale. But you'd be smart to avoid them because they will cause what specific damage to your car?

The additive used to treat oil seals cause them to swell and take a new set. If you then stop using HM oil, the oil leaks may return and may become worse.

High mileage oils are for engines that have a weep or seeping issue or for some oil burning issues. If you have neither of those you don’t need it.

I like pp or pup.
But most importantly just go with what's on sale.

For filter I suggest you just buy a 5pack of toyota oem filters with drain crush washers. There are various toyota and lexus dealer parts depts who put up amazon or ebay storefronts that will sell you a discounted 5packs. You can also access the low price dealer that uses the trademotion network via parts.com.
If you think ahead you should also buy other oem maintenance items like wipers or engine air filters at the same time to amortize shipping

If youre buying an oil and filter bundled special from an autoparts store oil change deal, I'd run the bundled bosch or fram or purolator whatever filter is in the bundle without hesitation.
For pup set up an alert for amazon when it goes on sale and use the pennzoil rebate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to find 6 quart M1 5w30 at Sam's Club for $27.78 before tax.
I now need to buy
- air conditioner filter
- engine air filter

Sorry. What is pp and pup?

I would skip the High Mileage oils as well.

Any major brand of synthetic would do fine. You don't need to go to a blend first.

Fram Ultra filters

Originally Posted By: HampsHump
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to find 6 quart M1 5w30 at Sam's Club for $27.78 before tax.
I now need to buy
- air conditioner filter
- engine air filter

Sorry. What is pp and pup?

Take some time and read this: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605508/Acronyms_used_at_BITOG,_make_m#Post2605508

If U are going to local oil change shops, just get their syn oil change special. If u are going to do your own oil change, get your favorite syn oil and filter and do 10k oci

yea suggest you buy oem for the filters, wiperblades, engine air filter. search on amazon or ebay for a seller that is a dealers parts department. That way you have more confidence its genuine.

Note the air conditioner cabin filter isn't rocket science with tight specifications. What you get is not nearly as advanced as the higher end home air filters you see at homedepot. There are aftermarket cabin filters that are more than 50% off. You maybe better off buying the aftermarket and replacing it more frequently.
If you feel the itch, you can go ahead and buy a toyota oem cabin filter one time and an aftermarket one and compare for yourself.

I've owned 5 vehicles with the 2GR-FE engine and have always used Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum Ultra with Fram XG9972 with 6k-7k mile OCI without any issues. I've also used the filters for two oil changes with the above mileage intervals without issues and feel confident they would easily run a third interval if desired. I've used 0w-20 and 5w-20 for slightly better fuel economy. You can also use 5w-30 in the Texas heat for high speed driving without any ill effects. Toyota and Lexus now use 0w-20 in that engine so the choice is yours.

One thing to watch out for is the water pump at this mileage. If you notice a drop in coolant, inspect the pump as it's probably leaking due to the acidity that builds up in the coolant. Right now is a good time to drain, refill with distilled water, run the engine, drain and refill with Toyota OEM coolant to get rid of any acidity that may have been built up which is corrosive to this pump. My ES350 started leaking at 57k miles and My RX350 at 70k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back