Ford Super Duty with Boss 6.2 liter gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy I camp with, most all my camping trips, has one. Has been a good truck it is heavy so it tows about right on Par with my old 02 Chevy. His truck is 2000lbs heavier than mine!(fully optioned 4x4 VS no option 2WD) His is a 2014. He is at 48,000ish miles.
He has gone through one set of tires and shimmy in the front end which turned out to be worn suspension component and he has had to do brakes, but that stuff is normal when towing often. He tows a 30 foot 8500lbs dry Grand Design so you figure 10,000lbs loaded.
Pretty nice truck and does a good job.
This was his truck, a buddies dually and mine a couple of years back.

Actually the RV guys are a great group to ask about heavy duty trucks. They basically sold me my tow rig, an 09 2500HD DMax. I tow a 33 foot fifth wheel rig.

I'd spend some time on their sites and get my info there, too.

I have had a 2013 SuperDuty with the 6.2 since new (company truck), it's holding up very well with no issues to report. It sees very little pavement, mostly gravel roads and off-road. I get the oil changed every 5000 kms due to dusty conditions and a lot of idling. Other than a rough ride when not loaded, it's a great truck.

I would expect it to be extremely reliable, low maintenance, less power(than diesel), and guzzle gas. Plenty of scenarios where this type of a truck makes sense. I put low miles on my gas 3/4 so i don't care if its 3-4 mpg less than a diesel.

I'm right there with you. I'm considering going back to a gasser and the 2018 Superduty has my attention right now. The 6.2L seems like a solid performer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I don't own one, but I can say that I see them a lot for oil changes and not much else.

I don't know about Ford, but with Chrysler one of the benefits of buying a gas engine is that you can put a lifetime warranty on it. You can't do that with a diesel, is Ford the same? I used to think extended warranties were a scam (some still are) but with the cost of repairs today it is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle long enough to use it.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I don't own one, but I can say that I see them a lot for oil changes and not much else.

I don't know about Ford, but with Chrysler one of the benefits of buying a gas engine is that you can put a lifetime warranty on it. You can't do that with a diesel, is Ford the same? I used to think extended warranties were a scam (some still are) but with the cost of repairs today it is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle long enough to use it.

Not that I have seen. The only downside that I could possibly think of on the 6.2 is changing the lower spark plugs when it is in a F-150. There isn't a lot of room even on the Raptors with the wider sheet metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back