Oil's "Nutritional Facts"

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin.gif

It's an acquired taste, but if you're plugged up, a nice room temp 5W30 will ease things along....might leave a ring on the toilet bowl.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
It would be cool if the oil companies were required to post a basic VOA of the contents on the jug similar to food products

I disagree.

Knowing how much sugar, salt, vitamins, etc. is fairly clear as to what that food will do to you or provide for you.

The elemental concentrations provided by an ICP scan will not tell you the performance provided by a lubricant nor what it will do to engine. It could be very easily manipulated to make one product look great while others not so much when the exact opposite could be true.

I wish they would all publish:
- KV100
- KV40
- VI
- HTHS
- SA %
- TBN
- Noack %
- Zinc %
- Detergents used (Na, Mg, Ca %)
- Specifications ( SN , ACEA etc)
- CCS peformance ( cP at temp)

They all know this basic data, why can't they tell the consumer, they do want us to buy their products. They may be billion dollar companies, but if a billion consumers swing to one product or another, they want the swing to be towards them, not away from them. That's why they advertise.

Still, let's be real here, only the oil nerds on BITOG care. The average person wouldn't know SAPS from NOACK, and wouldn't care.

I mean even the VOAs that get posted here are only ONE dimension of the oil. The UOAs tell a different story, but even that story is one drop in an ocean of ways the oil can be run.

I just want pretty pictures and words that make me think the oil is the greatest. A pleasant scent would be nice to imprint pleasant thoughts in my mind when adding oil and doing oil changes. Then every time I smelled the oil I would get a warm fuzzy feeling. I may even buy oil on scent alone.
smile.gif

The problem with putting detailed info on the label is you would need to understand what it means. I bet most people would not know what it means or would not care.

Trouble is most information on food labels is misleading and often inaccurate. But most of us care more about what we put in our engines than our bodies.

Claud.

A lot of companies do publish that information, they are called product/technical data sheets. A lot are easy to find online.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
It would be cool if the oil companies were required to post a basic VOA of the contents on the jug similar to food products

I disagree.

Knowing how much sugar, salt, vitamins, etc. is fairly clear as to what that food will do to you or provide for you.

The elemental concentrations provided by an ICP scan will not tell you the performance provided by a lubricant nor what it will do to engine. It could be very easily manipulated to make one product look great while others not so much when the exact opposite could be true.

All I want to know is the contents of the jug.
I don't care about "manipulation" or appearance or some sort of "spin".

Originally Posted By: Badroberts
A lot of companies do publish that information, they are called product/technical data sheets. A lot are easy to find online.

Please link me to some ..... does the brand I'm holding in my hand in the store have a data sheet??
I don't want to do a bunch of homework before I go to WM to get oil.
I want to be able to look at the jug (VOA) and see that it is indeed what I want - Yup, same stuff as last time - great.

Originally Posted By: Badroberts

Yes a lot of companies publish TDS and yes I do search for them on line, a lot, maybe too much.

But I can't recall one TDS that has all that data listed above, only a subset. Try finding the Noack % of M1 and PP or the zinc levels of Castrol GTX and Edge, or the HTHS of Valvoline SynPower and MaxLife, or the TBN of regular M1 Vs M1 EP, on a datasheet from any of those companies. (from memory - but you get the idea).

Some Castrol sheets are particularly rubbish, as the figures they give are not the true value of their product, but rather the min/max values set down by the J300 standard. All they are saying is "we meet the requirements of SN" in a round about way. Thanks Castrol.....I sort of knew that by the big API SN on the bottle.

At the opposite end, some M1 and Valvoline TDS are very good, with many, but not all, of the above listed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Claud
Trouble is most information on food labels is misleading and often inaccurate.

Is it better to be mis-informed than un-informed ??...
21.gif

Absolutely no!. Understanding you don't know about something will keep you out of a lot of trouble that believing something false would get you in.

Can I tackle an angry grizzly bear with just a spoon?. I don't know, better carry a loaded gun just in case.
Can I tackle an angry grizzly bear with just a spoon?. Sure you can, leave the gun behind, you won't need it.

You choose.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: SR5
They all know this basic data, why can't they tell the consumer, they do want us to buy their products.

You can usually get that data from the data sheets, or by calling them up and asking if the info isn't on the sheets.

Quote:
Still, let's be real here, only the oil nerds on BITOG care. The average person wouldn't know SAPS from NOACK, and wouldn't care.

Exactly. The average person shopping for motor oil can barely get their heads around API specs, OEM approvals, and viscosity grades, much less something like HTHS. The oil nerds would know how to find the information they want - so no need to put in on a label. Especially when space on the label is limited and it's far more important to warn people not to drink the bottle contents or set it on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back