Water cooled BMW motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new to me 2017 R1200GS. The owners manual oil specification call for SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2, Additives (for instance, molybdenum based substances) are prohibited, because they would attack the coatings on engine components, BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate Oil. Since this was a dealer demo bike it's covered by the full BMW warranty. I would like to use an oil that complies with the specs, but don't know about the additive specifications. Any suggestions?

How about Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcyle oil. It is SAE 10W-40, API SH, JASO MA2 2011. I see it's SH and not SL, so a bit of a difference there and is 10W not 5W. 1100 Phosporous, 1200 zinc.

Last edited:
My guess is a shared sump due to the JASO MA2 requirement. I think a lot of new bikes spec a 30 weight, so maybe they expect the 5w40 to shear down and still be fine. Either way, I trust that the BMW knows that they're doing.

Nice bike! If you are concerned about staying within warranty, then I'd run any of the top tier motorcycle oils manufactured by the Euro companies. Castrol 4T, Shell Helix, Motul, etc.

Nice bike.

FWIW, I have yet to find an oil I like better than Motul 300V 4T. I run it in my S1000RR, and heavily modded 'Busa.

Could just be me but the way the part in italics is worded, I think what BMW is trying to say is no separate bottled additives, like an extra zddp or moly based additive you buy and add to the sump, are prohibited. Not the native additive package put into the motor oil during the blend process by Castrol, Mobil, Liqui Moly, etc. They're basically saying "no bottles of snake oil."

German bike, I'd put Liqui Moly oil (made in Germany) in it just for Good Karma (LoL). NAPA Auto Parts stores carry Liqui Moly.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Could just be me but the way the part in italics is worded, I think what BMW is trying to say is no separate bottled additives, like an extra zddp or moly based additive you buy and add to the sump, are prohibited. Not the native additive package put into the motor oil during the blend process by Castrol, Mobil, Liqui Moly, etc. They're basically saying "no bottles of snake oil."

German bike, I'd put Liqui Moly oil (made in Germany) in it just for Good Karma (LoL). NAPA Auto Parts stores carry Liqui Moly.

Agree ^^^ Its not just you, I took it the same way.. Dont add additives or extras (aka snake oil)

Any SL/Jaso MA2 in 5/40 will do the job.

Last edited:
Thanks all! I like the additive interpretation to mean, Don't use additives. I've been using Rotella T5 & T6 in my Honda and a Yamaha that I had. T5 (10W-30 in the Honda & 15W-40 in the Yam) gave smoother shifting than the T6. The BMW has clunkier gear box (engine and gearbox share the same oil), but the bike only has a little over 1,000 miles. It's good to know that someone here as been using T6 in this engine without issues. I'll probably also try some of the other oils mentioned above. At least the change intervals are 6k miles.

Now all I have to do is find a seat that's good for long distance touring...

That had been true, but not any longer. I'm not a Bemmerphile, so I don't know for sure when the change was made, although I think it was with the 2004 oil cooled, DOHC, Hex Head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Not up to date on BMW cycles but I was under the impression that
all BMW twins had a dry clutch and separate transmission.

True or no?

That was true, until the water cooled cylinder head boxer engines arrived. They are a shared sump design, with a wet clutch.

The GS got the new water cooled cylinder head engine in 2013. The RT the following year in 2014.

anything BMW is way overpriced!! their recommended semi-syn-oil for my 16 G650GS reportedly blended by shell was a LOT more than the silkolene Pro i bought that was group III with Ester, it works great!!

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Nice bike.

FWIW, I have yet to find an oil I like better than Motul 300V 4T. I run it in my S1000RR, and heavily modded 'Busa.

I just checked fortnine.ca and they want over $90 for a 4L jug!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Nice bike.

I just checked fortnine.ca and they want over $90 for a 4L jug!
crazy2.gif

Maybe you can find it for a better price elsewhere. I don't pay anywhere near that for 4L jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back