Have you had moon roof issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a new car and considering EX trims for Honda Civics instead of just LX.

I've always liked the EX trim better but one thing I never liked is the moon roof. I think the concept is nice but I was worried that in practice it would actually be more of a headache (someone could shatter the glass for example).

My number one fear is it's going to leak, even when closed and I'm going to be tracking down the cause of a soaked headliner.

Has anyone had issues with leaking moon roofs even when closed? Are the drains just for when the moon roof is open or starts to open? I suspect moon roofs always let some water in and the water drains are for that. So am I going to have issues spraying water when washing the car and stuff?

Any experience with Honda Civic moon roofs in particular (I'm eyeing 2015) would be even more welcome.

Let me put it this way, if the car had everything I wanted and was on the lot with a fire sale price but had a sun/moon roof its staying there.
The only good one I ever had and I've had plenty was a manual crank all metal job in a old MB.

I've had a small collection of cars that all had moonroofs/sunroofs. Some had glass, some like the BMW below is just a metal panel.

None of my cars have ever had problems with leaks. From the research and reviews I've read, it's mostly due to plugged drains.
Since I park my cars indoors and never under trees for long periods, I don't thing this is an issue I'll ever face.

My Focus is my only sun roof so far and its worked fine, seals up, and that car isn't particularly put together well. If you never use it I doubt it would ever leak.

With about 200k miles on the ODO, BOTH drain lines in my '97 Legacy (port and starboard side) disconnected and started dumping water into the cabin via the a pillars. It was easy to pull the trim pieces and reconnect them, but it was still a pain in the butt!

Never had a problem with leaks or mechanical issues on a 1991 Lexus LS400 I had. When I got rid of the car, the seals were falling apart - expected for a 20+ year old car.

The older Mercedes roofs had problems with the slide/tilt brackets and cables breaking. Those are a moderately easy DIY job.

The biggest thing that almost everyone forgets is keeping the roof drains clear and the hoses from the sunroof/moonroof module clean and connected to their quarter panel vents.

Some kind've removable/opening top is a requirement for me. My 300ZX t-tops never leak,my Accord sunroof never leaks,and my 3000GT's sunroof never leaked.

Never had a problem but I avoid getting them whenever possible; I never use them(haven't opened the one in my 2 Series since I bought it over two years ago) and they add weight to the highest point of the car. My salesperson and I had to fight with Munich to keep them from cutting a hole in the roof of the Club Sport- even though it was listed as an option. Thank heavens the M240i has a sunroof delete option and the M2 only lists a hole in the roof as an extra-cost option.

I have had many cars with a sunroof over the years. None ever leaked.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
O and anything with a "panoramic moonroof" or a "glass roof" stay away.

Thanks for jinxing me! I even have the power shade! lol

Originally Posted By: nthach
Never had a problem with leaks or mechanical issues on a 1991 Lexus LS400 I had. When I got rid of the car, the seals were falling apart - expected for a 20+ year old car.

The older Mercedes roofs had problems with the slide/tilt brackets and cables breaking. Those are a moderately easy DIY job.

The biggest thing that almost everyone forgets is keeping the roof drains clear and the hoses from the sunroof/moonroof module clean and connected to their quarter panel vents.

You mean like GM W bodies that drain into the rocker panels with a tiny drain hole that probably clogged before it left the factory and rots them out?
Over the years I have had and seen ruined headliners, seats, rugs, rotted out rockers, broken sliders one STB half open in a storm.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I'm in the market for a new car and considering EX trims for Honda Civics instead of just LX.

Years ago I bought an LX Accord but had the dealer swap some EX wheels on it. Since I didn't want a moonroof but liked the wheels on the EX. They happily did it with a small deposit so I didn't back out on the deal. Deposit was only a $100 and went towards the purchase price. So I owed them $12,900 on a new Accord coupe after trading in a Civic coupe.

My EP3 Civic had a sunroof that didn't leak yet, but the frame was rusting through. Apparently it was an issue on this model Civic and RSX. A $500 OEM sunroof glass and frame assembly later and 1 hour DIY fixed that. 2 plastic covers held in with two Phillips screws and 4 nuts and a couple of shims on each side actually holding the frame in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back