Tires ride better when warmer outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OE Michelins on my Pilot have started riding/sounding rougher @50k miles. But on warmer days, I've noticed they ride better. In an effort to stay "scientific," I haven't changed the tire pressure and I drive the same roads daily.

Does this happen because the old rubber becomes more pliable with higher temps?

Everything gets more pliable when it gets warmer. Tires, rubber bushings, shocks, etc. And if you had the right tire pressure during cold weather, you need to bleed some off as the temps warm, which will also make a vehicle ride better.

How do you know it's the tires and not other parts like your shocks/struts making things rougher or harder?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
How do you know it's the tires and not other parts like your shocks/struts making things rougher or harder?

When it's colder, there is quite a bit of tire noise. Today it was 60 out and things were much quieter.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The OE Michelins on my Pilot have started riding/sounding rougher @50k miles. But on warmer days, I've noticed they ride better. In an effort to stay "scientific," I haven't changed the tire pressure and I drive the same roads daily.

In colder temps the rubber is not as pliable on "all season" tires. So I guess the reverse is true when it's warm.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: mclasser

In colder temps the rubber is not as pliable on "all season" tires. So I guess the reverse is true when it's warm.
That's one of the reasons to get the snows off when it warms up-the compound is softer, so they'll wear out faster when it warms up outside. I can't decide whether to switch them out here-it's awful early, can't help but think we'll get another snow in these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back