When would you use a Fuel System Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Question, if you had a new car and ran plain jane 87 octane in it at all times. When would you use or start using a fuel system cleaner?

Dale

If I always used top tier fuel I probably wouldn't use a cleaner. Otherwise I would use it yearly.

I would use it from the very beginning to keep injectors clean. I also like to use an upper lubricant. Redline S-1 does both. Some use it every tank 1 ounce to every ten gallons. Every few months, or every oil change. BG 44K is great to use at oil change. I've used BG44 when I bought my Montero in 1994. I bought it by the case from BG directly through my employer. Never had to have the injector cleans.

It depends on how much money you want to spend and if you're buying Tier 1 fuel. I still use cleaners with Tier 1 fuel. A few months ago I bought Schaeffer's Soy lubricant (upper chamber lubricant) and I like it. After I changed my oil, I noticed a lot of carbon build up in the oil filter. Which means the cleaners are doing their job.

It's a personal decision. Some people don't use any cleaners at all. But, most people aren't OCD BITOG members! lol!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Yes, I "always" use a Top Tier gasoline so I only use Schaeffers Soy or Amsoil Cleaner about 3 times a year.

I use the gas at the local convenience store. No idea what brand of gasoline it is. I use fuel treatment every 100k miles unless I forget. Just don't see it as part of my PM.

I've never used a fuel system cleaner and I use the nearest/cheapest fuel I can find. I suppose if I had a problem that I thought a fuel system cleaner could help, I'd try it, but haven't needed any in 45 years of driving.

I use it when i get a new to me vehicle. I guess i OCD a little about getting rid of the previous owners failings lol.

Other than that I only use cleaners if they go on clearance.

The boroscope videos i have seen so far have always pretty much debunked cleaners.

Maybe once a year before an oil change.
Any engine will seem noticeably smoother with one of these adds in a fill, so they do have some effect.
I use a lot to TT fuel in my daily driver simply because there's a Valero that's usually cheap on my commute, but I don't worry much about using it since it's a GM thing that matters to only a few of their engines, just like dexos spec motor oil.
OTOH, I've used many engines for hundreds of thousands of miles with never a fuel add of any kind with no problems at all.

usually about every 3000miles or before an oil change.. or whenever you want really.

Sir,
I thought the same, but my service manual for my 2000 Intrepid with 3.2 V-6 says you might even damage engine with the premium. Incredible, the high-test has better octane rating & cleaners built in.

I use a bottle of B12 chemtool every time I notice my car starts to downshift frequently/ can't maintain ~1200 rpm in final gear on level or slight incline. Fixes her right up. Top tier is apparently not enough.

I have Diesel and use 4 oz Kreen in a21 gln tank, wife's Sienna doesn't get any as it is still under warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back