Found some old stuff in my dad's barn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check this out. Think any of it is still usable??

Some old Sears Spectrum 10w40... in cans. I believe this is from the early 80's. I have at least 16 cans.

Next is a couple of old KMart K1 oil filters. No idea what these would fit. Check out the price: $1.86, discounted to $1.47!!

Last is a Purolater PureONE filter with a 1996 date. I like the cross-reference right on the box! This must be one of my old leftovers from high school with my 51 pickup's old Buick motor.

Anyways, thought you'd get a kick out of this. If it's in the wrong place, please feel free to delete or move.

Thanks!!

I'd have no issue using the oil for 3000 miles, or the '96 Purolator Pure One for 5-6000.

The K-1 filters I'd cut and take pictures...

You're NOT SURE about the K1 oil filter and it MIGHT have been for your '51???

You're a disgrace to BITOG. ALL the filter numbers of that truck should be in your brain FOREVER!

As the word "Rosebud" exited Citizen Kane's lips as he died, you should mutter these numbers.

Turn in your password.

Originally Posted By: Kira
You're NOT SURE about the K1 oil filter and it MIGHT have been for your '51???

You're a disgrace to BITOG. ALL the filter numbers of that truck should be in your brain FOREVER!

As the word "Rosebud" exited Citizen Kane's lips as he died, you should mutter these numbers.

Turn in your password.

No... I have no idea what the K1 was for as it was before my time. I was speaking about the Purolator.

I just bought a bunch of 10w40 on clearance at AZ because every one believes that its not fuel efficient (energy conserving).

That oil must be from the energy crisis era.

About the only thing Sears 10W40 is more fuel efficient than is Brad Penn Nitro 70
smile.gif
I bet the liquid doesn't even shake in the can... it's like Crisco in there

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
About the only thing Sears 10W40 is more fuel efficient than is Brad Penn Nitro 70
smile.gif
I bet the liquid doesn't even shake in the can... it's like Crisco in there

Ahh grasshopper, did you miss the "all weather" label? This was our WINTER oil in its day.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Cardboard can of oil goes back a ways.

The K-1 was for Ford IIRC. (PH-8)
Was that the large size used by many Chrysler, as well as Ford, engines of the '60s? My Mazda went through many Kmart (repainted Purolator) filters in the '80s. They were sometimes on sale for $1. About 18K (3 oil changes) each, no problems. Cardboard-and-steel cans prevailed through about the mid-80s, I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Sears Spectrum 10W-40 is all I used back in the 70s. And all cars got 6K OCI as the manual recommended.

=1 I used this in the mid 70's in my Ford Elite with the 350 v-8. One time I went into Sears to get some oil and filter and the guy asked me if I had it in the crankcase. When I told him yes he gave me a new filter and 10 qts of the 10-40 free. He said some of their filters did not have the internal screen in them and to change the oil?filter for a short OCI then change it again. When I changed it, sure enough inside the filter was a coil spring type wire and cotton like filter material. Didn't look like it had come loose but I worried about that stuff being in the engine the rest of my ownership, and I kept the car for some time. Never had any problems.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Sears Spectrum 10W-40 is all I used back in the 70s. And all cars got 6K OCI as the manual recommended.

Pretty much the same for me. 3000 mi. oci of course.
thumbsup2.gif

dwendt44 said:
Cardboard can of oil goes back a ways.

I was a service station attendant in the days of those cardboard oil cans. We kept a full rack of various grades right on the pump island, along with a cabinet of wiper blades, a water can with a long spout for rad top-ups, another rack of additives, a battery hygrometer to test battery acid and of course the windshield squeegys. We had oil company uniforms with name tags too. At least 2 of us would run out to attend to a customer.

Gas prices were pretty much the same across the city and stayed the same for months at a time. So the competion was not about price per gallon but about which gas station (Americans called it "filling station") provided the best service. There was a lot of brand loyalty then too.

But about those cardboard cans. The cylindrical part of the can was cardboard like a large toilet tissue roll, but the ends of the can were thin metal. A separate spout with a piercing point in it was used to punture an end of the can and also to pour it into the oil filler tube on the engine. Well when these spouts got a bit worn, they didn't puncture well and required more force. The result was a lopsided and sometimes slightly crushed can of oil. We were just kids and didn't have money to cover the damage so we would try to pour it into the engine regardless. We told the customer not to worry if they see a little smoke from under the hood when they pull away.

The PCMO is likely useable. There is a member who uses oils from this era for the appropriate OCI in the same era vehicle he owns. As for the filters keep them on your self for display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back