New STP Euro 5W-40

Nice find. What's the price difference between this and their 5w30? Did they have 5qt jugs?

So as far as we know --> SN/A3-B4.

It's nice to see that along with the proliferation of 0w20, 5w40 is also increasing in availability by new brands. I'd feel more comfortable using this in the SFS Turbo since the manual allows for 5w40.

Only single quarts available, at $5.69. Not a bad price IMHO, even if it is a basic A3/B4.

Oil change deals on STP Synthetic are frequent, so this will almost always be $26.99 for 5 quarts and an $8.99 filter.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Only single quarts available, at $5.69. Not a bad price IMHO, even if it is a basic A3/B4.

Oil change deals on STP Synthetic are frequent, so this will almost always be $26.99 for 5 quarts and an $8.99 filter.

Sounds like a great deal for an A3/B4.

Thanks for the information.

There are more Euro oils available than ever. A good thing. I wonder if there are more euro cars on the road however?

Scientifically Treated Protection? Some marketing guru must have spent a lot of time trying to come up with this one.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Scientifically Treated Protection? Some marketing guru must have spent a lot of time trying to come up with this one.
smile.gif

Sure does take a genius. 'chuckle'

Yes, the cheese is strong on the bottle. My favorite is: "Engineered with anti-wear additives."

Well jeez, I hope so.

It's probably a serviceable A3/B4. Plenty fine for most if not all European cars being serviced with parts/fluids sourced from AutoZone.

Heck, I'd run it if I didn't have 4 gallons of oil sitting around already.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Yes, the cheese is strong on the bottle. My favorite is: "Engineered with anti-wear additives."

Well jeez, I hope so.

It's probably a serviceable A3/B4. Plenty fine for most if not all European cars being serviced with parts/fluids sourced from AutoZone.

Heck, I'd run it if I didn't have 4 gallons of oil sitting around already.

I wouldn't. I don't see it on the MB 229.5 list or even the 229.51.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

If they're too cheap to pay for certification, I'm not going to bother when there's many others on that list like Mobil and Castrol who did.

True indeed. The MB 229.5 standard is a rather strong standard being met. Even a fair amount tougher than A3B4. Which is saying something. This is possibly like Amalie Wolf's Head full synthetic oil. The other STP oil checked by PQIA had the exact same additive package as Amalie Wolf's Head. High molybdenum and boron.

Looks like a serviceable oil.

I'm just waiting on NAPA and ST 5w40 now.
laugh.gif

Folks here have bought the Carquest 5w40, but my store has never seen it apparently.

Last edited:
What is interesting is there is no info on this oil on stp.com. Is this 5w40 made just for Autozone? The reason I ask, the front and back of the bottle say to recycle your used oil at your nearest participating Autozone!

Autozone finally sent me info on this oil.

Description
STP 5W-40 EURO FS 6/1Q
Inspection Information Test Method Typical Value
Gravity, °API ASTM D287 34.83
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.8507
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt ASTM D445 76.77
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt ASTM D445 12.95
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 170
Pour Point, °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -45°C (-49°F)
Cold Cranking Simulator at (°C), cP ASTM D5293 5266 (-30)
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP ASTM D5481 3.7
Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 10
Color ASTM D1500 2
Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.102
Phosphorus, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.092
Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.26
Sulfur, wt. % ASTM D4951 0.19
Boron, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.007
Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.089
Pumping Viscosity at (°C), cP ASTM D4684 28,400 (-35)
TBN, mgKOH/g ASTM D2896 9.8
Claims Information
API SN Approved
API SM Meets Requirements
API SH, SG, SF, SE, SD, SC Meets Requirements
ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 Meets Requirements
MB p229.3 / p229.5 Meets Requirements
PSA B71 2296 Meets Requirements
BMW LL-01 Meets Requirements
VW 501 01 / 502 00 / 505 00 Meets Requirements
OPEL GM-LL-B-025 Meets Requirements
Renault 0710 / 0700 Meets Requirements
Porsche A40 Meets Requirements

ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 Meets Requirements

Meets Requirements of Porsche A40 ?

The big question is.... who blends it for "STP"

Originally Posted By: MSTUEBER
What is interesting is there is no info on this oil on stp.com. Is this 5w40 made just for Autozone? The reason I ask, the front and back of the bottle say to recycle your used oil at your nearest participating Autozone!

Says "Best Parts Inc, Nashville, TN" on the bottle.

The address listed for Best Parts Inc on the API licensing website is 123 S FRONT ST MEMPHIS, TN, 38103-3607 which is the corporate headquarters for Autozone.

My local AutoZone no longer stocks the store brand oil that used to be packaged in an orange bottle. STP oils seem to have replaced it.

I didn't notice this particular STP oil on the shelf, but I did buy some STP SAE 30 for my lawn mowers. I suspect the STP is a respectable oil, probably on par with Wal-Mart's SuperTech oils.

I did notice that the STP HDEO 15w-40 was bargain priced, less than Rotella, Delvac and Delo at about $10 per jug.

Back