FL-22 antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I own a 2015 Mazda 3. The factory coolant is a dark green color and meets a spec called FL-22. I have no idea what that is or what other coolants meet this spec. Anyway I used to own a 2011 Kia Optima. The factory Hyundai/Kia coolant is the exact same dark green color. I have nearly two full gallons of this coolant and no longer have a Kia or Hyundai. Now for the million dollar question. Does anyone know for sure what the FL-22 spec is and (since it looks identical to the Mazda stuff) does the Hyundai/Kia coolant meet this spec? Thanks

Don

FL-22 is the same as Ford specialty green coolant, which is the same as the dark green Kia/Hyundai coolant, which is the same as Zerex Asian pink coolant. All are effectively the same P-HOAT formulation. I use the Zerex Asian in both my vehicles that call for one of the aforementioned coolants. There are a few others out there I know I'm missing that are also the same.

I would be careful calling all those Asian coolants the same. My 2006 MZ3 came in with the same, dark green coolant, but it was not FL-22 spec and it was rated for 5 years and 60k miles. I believe Mazda issued a service bulletin stating that FL-22 can be mixed with their "regular" green, but the mix will loose FL-22 10 year/120k mile rating. If it's mixed with orange coolant, the mix will turn black.

Basically if that Hyundai coolant is rated for 10 years/120k miles, it's probably the same formula, but if it's less than that, it's not the same as FL-22.

Here is the SB:
FL-22 Service Bulletin

Last edited:
I started using the Zerex Asian in my kids cars. I was successful in getting nearly all of the old coolant out of my sons car so the mixture is still pink. In my daughters car it had a red coolant. Didn't get quite enough of the old stuff out so the mixture looks a bit orangish. So I am going to be a bit hesitant to use it in my Mazda when the time arises. I just wish that the Zerex was offered in full strength so I can fully flush the system with water and still be able to get a proper 50/50 mixture. Not sure a pink and green mixture will look too good. So I am probably gonna stick with the green for this reason unless Zerex decides to sell the Asian stuff full strength. Thanks fo rall the feedback folks

Don

FL22 is Mazda's Asian PHOAT AF that comes in 55/45 premix ratio and happens to be a green tint. Hyun/Kia AF is also an Asian PHOAT AF that comes as a concentrate and happens to use a green tint too. The biggest unknown about H/K AF is whether it is the same newer extended life AF as the Mazda (Honda newer Nissan blue) or the older shorter service interval PHOAT previously used by makers like Nissan and some others, even Mazda. Using Pentosin/PentofrostA2 green concentrate and Beck Arnley green AF specs and recommendations it would appear to be the latter. In which case using Nissan and Toyota (old LL red concentrate) after factory fill service interval would be, ~2 years/30k miles.

So imo, H/K AF concentrate would be safe to mix with or as a complete exchange/(flush) for FL22. However, to be safe you would want to go with the shorter service interval if you use it.

If you want a green tint long service interval PHOAT concentrate, not too many options. One is Motorcraft Specialty Green, but it can be very pricey. The other currently is PepBoys OEM brand concentrate in green tint. It's currently ~$22/gallon but sometimes goes on sale, recently at $14/gal which was a deal. At the regular price sounds high, but an equivalent oem premix would have to be ~$11gal to equal the PB OEM concentrate.

In my area O'Reilly Auto Parts currently has their FL22 equivalent (concentrate) on sale for $9.99/gallon. Regular price is $12.99.

^^^Got a link to that specific AF. As for as I can tell, no AF with that specific spec listed online at O'R stores in this area. Zerex Asian Vehicle in red-ish or blue tint closest seen here. Both of those are premixes.

Well, Sayjac, I think something is amiss. The jug in the link says "conventional green" while the text claims it replaces FL22. I think when the time comes I'm sticking with the real thing or Peak Final Charge.

O'Reilly Green

I swear I am not going crazy, but a couple of hours ago the description of that OR anti-freeze clearly stated it was a replacement for FL22. Now it doesn't. The page does still show it as the "correct" coolant for my Mazda Skyactiv. I think I'll just go back to bed.

One more statement. I know it's not really the correct coolant for my car and won't be using it.

I think Peak Final Charge is the way to go. When my Mazda hits the 120,000 mile mark I'm switching to that and never changing the coolant again.

I'm just looking for a coolant for Japanese vehicles like Honda.
How different are the FL22 coolants from the Honda (TYPE 2) or Suzuki coolant?
I'm still looking for an SDS for the FL22 coolant from Ravenol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back