Help with 2002 mustang gt suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year and a half ago I bought the mustang for a daily driver. It was lowered from the previous owner without a bump steer kit or caster camber plates. So it handles ok but eats tires and I want to goto the stock height springs, but cannot find a set new for the rear end. Moog 8594 is for the front which is correct. But, I find that moog cc835 and cc827 are listed for 79-95 mustangs. Moog says that they do not make a direct replacement for the rear. But, when you look up any spring kit that is aftermarket it lists for 79-2004. So I am wondering if those 2 will fit at all. Or if any of the mustang gurus can chyme in for some help. I don’t want to go the salvage yard route because it’s more money. A pair of moog springs are $51 must salvage yards wanted 40 per spring.

I can't help you with specific part numbers but I'd bet you'll find what you want on eBay or craigslist - plenty of people have swapped out their standard suspension for lowering parts and have their standard parts in the garage or the shed.

I looked that part up as I am sure you did, its discontinued and even the custom shops are not producing it. Nothing on ebay either, that is going to take some finding new.

This appears to the correct part. Ford Part Number: 3R3Z*5560*EA

Last edited:
A lot of things are common from 79-04. Same chassis, different shells. The only real difference is for the IRS Cobras. The springs listed for the 79-95 will probably fit just fine
smile.gif

It's not available from Ford anymore because nobody uses stock suspension in a Mustang
19.gif

I came up with several part numbers, but they're basically all the same number with different suffixes.
XR3Z-5560-BA
XR3Z-5560-CA
XR3Z-5560-KA
XR3Z-5560-TA

Here's the link to the part numbers I found:
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2002-ford-mustang/rear-springs-and-shock-absorbers.html?Filter=(38686;30887;36883;28761)&PNC=5560

Here's a pair of TA's on Ebay for example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-OEM-Ford-NOS-PAIR-OF-REAR-COIL-SPRINGS-XR3Z-5560-TA-/262733721403

I don't know what the different suffixes mean, but it would be interesting to find out.

The different suffixes indicate different spring codes. The TA does not apply to a GT. All are obsolete. The VIN or the door label on the bottom line will give the spring code.

As was said before Mustang springs never sell. People like me that have modified them throw the old springs away since they are worthless.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
People like me that have modified them throw the old springs away since they are worthless.

Why are the stock rear springs worthless? You got my curiosity fluffed up.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
People like me that have modified them throw the old springs away since they are worthless.

Why are the stock rear springs worthless? You got my curiosity fluffed up.

Stock suspension parts on a Mustang are generally worthless compared to aftermarket offerings. They are worth scrap value which is so low that the trash can is a better option. I personally prefer Maximum Motorsports for Mustang suspension parts as I had most of their offerings on my 98 GT and have them waiting to go on my 95 GT. Griggs also makes some really nice parts too.

The stock spring placement which is on the lower rear arm on the 79-04 Mustangs is not ideal at all. I replaced mine with Bilstein coilovers and Hyperco springs.

I want to keep the car stock because it will be my dd for my commute of 100 miles a day total. It has
156k with all new suspension bushings, wheel bearings, brakes, clutch, shocks and struts, quad shocks, inner and outer tie rods with new ends
Ball joints, alternator, fresh tune up, all new tires, all fluids replaced, water pump, radiator, and radiator fan. The car runs real good and I have had an f150 5spd work truck with the same drive train that went past 300k miles.

I plan on buying a newer mustang or challenger to play with.

Get the spring code off the sticker like bdcardinal suggested and then use that code to line up the correct Ford number in that link I posted. The spring code will tell you which is the correct suffix and once you got that, off to Google you go. Either that or tell me the spring code and I'll search for the springs myself. More than likely they'll be on Ebay.

You should be able to get it in alignment and not eat tires regardless of ride height. I had my mustang lowered on drop springs, and coil overs, from 2” or so dropped to slammed with skinny tires tucked up in the wheel wells. I never ate tires up, never had “bump stop” kits. Just caster camber plates to maximize adjustment of those angles and a correct alignment. It’s going to look like a monster truck at stock ride height.

I just purchased sve caster camber plates due to the advice here. I think
It will take care of my handling issues. I don’t mind how low it is and how it rides.
It just feels like it wants to dart around and the front end wants to fight the rear end.
Which are from alignment issues.

Send those back and get Maximum Motorsports ones. The other brands do not allow for proper dispersal of load across the strut tower.

+1 on this. Return those and get the Maximum Motorsports plates. Great, well built units. Mine are still doing just fine after 11 years.

There should be springs available that were used for a minimum drop. While I agree that once you get past an inch and a half drop you'll probably need the additional parts, if you find a spring that only lowered an inch and had it alinged after it settled, it should still ride correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back