Daily driver a: Beater, Good ride, awesome ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you consider your daily driver to be?

I consider my 2003 Grand Marquis a beater due to rust and scratches etc.

My daily driver is a 2001 Mercury Sable. Market value is around $1500. But I trust it to get me to work every day, and to get me to my Florida vacations. I'd hate to lose it.

My '87 pickup.Runs great,rides like a 31 yr old truck,gets 12mpg and just loves any oil that I give it.

I mostly drive my hail battered Tuscon for my daily trips. It is a beater and I do not plan of fixing the dents I am not concerned with cosmetics. It goes from point A to B without fail in all types of weather without fail, and that is all I ask for.

Mine is a 2005 Ford Taurus with 60,000 miles. Bought it last year for $2400. Under side has no oil leaks or rust. It was a west coast car. Threw in a new battery and a set of Motomaster SES tires. Running the cheapest 5-20 synthetic I can find on 6000 mile OCI’s.

Last edited:
Both cars in my signature. My wife doesn't want to to rack up miles in her baby, so she often drives my car for business travel and I drive hers because I'm 7 miles from work.

I'm trying to decide which car is my daily driver...

Mercedes (twin turbo V-12 S class with every option) = awesome
Tundra (13,000 miles on a 1794 edition with all the options) = good ride

I drive them both all the time.

I don't think I would characterize any of my previous daily-driver cars as "beaters"...

Even my 1990 Toyota 4 Runner, in 2016, was a daily driver...and everything worked; AC, cruise, stereo. Mechanically excellent, it always passed the state inspection with zero discrepancies. No rips/tears in the interior. Some rust, particularly the rear bumper, which was badly rusted. Other people might have called it a beater. I wouldn't.

Pictured in July 2016, the day it went to its new owner. Who still drives it.

Last edited:
All of mine are awesome to me! Otherwise I wouldn't have it.
smile.gif

They're not perfect but they're perfect for me.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
All of mine are awesome to me! Otherwise I wouldn't have it.
smile.gif

They're not perfect but they're perfect for me.

Exactly!

Why would you spend all that time maintaining and driving something you don't like!?

My DD is my Volvo V70...nicest car I've ver owned.
Beater? no
Good ride? definitely
Awesome ride? How can one determine awesome? Can you put a price on fresh air and sunshine? Does a mother cat have a favorite kitten?
Steel, glass and plastic I know....With cars, love, respect and usefulness are inextricably marbled.

To Cujet: THAT is the funniest "car thing" I've ever read.

I wouldnt yet say a beater...paint is thin and needs lots of touchups but still looks decent. Maybe slowly becoming beater status.

Somewhere between a beater and a decent ride. It's fun for what it is. I keep it in good mechanical shape and Ford seems to know how to do a clear coat, so it looks pretty good for rarely being waxed.
If the Focus was rear wheel drive it would be a perfect cheap car, but even with fwd I like to "conserve momentum" around a few choice corners on my commute.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Awesome ride? How can one determine awesome?

I would consider something new awesome. Or something older that is in excellent condition.

Last edited:
My '99 Camry is definitely a beater--paint is shot, something rattles over large bumps, I killed the rear defroster, driver's seat feels old at times. Gets about 500 miles a week.

Wife's DD is the '11 Camry, and the way the kids trash it I'd call it a beater--but even new, a stripper Camry is something of a beater, as in, no one would want one nor care much about one. It was bought to put miles onto & use up, with no pretense as to "awesome-ness". It was a beater from new.

I did DD my 2010 Tundra for a bit. Would do it again, it's not a bad ride (although I am getting tired of the seat), but the mpg does deter that thought. Right now it's the nicest vehicle I have; I still get angry about the one dent/scratch it has (not sure where it came from).

My daily driver is 2007 Pontiac G6. Original owner bought it new for my oldest daughter to take to college in Providence RI. It's at beater status four years now considering I drive it to Brooklyn every day. Brooklyn NY and nice car bad idea.

Currently, my daily driver is my 2009 Suburban. I like it a lot. I keep it nice and enjoy driving it. I'm planning a fresh engine without that cylinder cancelling trash. Maybe even add a little steam.

Before I met my wife, my daily driver was a 1980 Firebird with a small block chevy, 700R4 trans, 3.55 posi rear, air, rims and tires from a later Firebird all painted monochromatic black.
Car was a great driver and since it was just painted with single stage black with no metallic, it was easy to touch up. I shoulda hung on to that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back