Wix to ACDelco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know, it probably doesn't matter, but any reason to or not to start using ACDelco filters instead of Wix filters on my two vehicles? OCIs are usually 4-8K, and I always use full synthetic.

Wix are very well made.

If the Delco has a plastic cage inside the center, it's an E-core filter. I do not like those.

Same here

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I'm sold on the Wix XP. I know it's not a popular filter, but the construction is solid.

I'm sold on the Wix XP. I know it's not a popular filter, but the construction is solid.

You Heretic! I hear the 20 micron FU gang and its leader are mobilizing now, take cover.
lol.gif

As long as your AIR filtration system is good-don't want those nasty sub-20 micron dust particles circulating through your bearings over & over!
18.gif

I would stay with Wix so you don't have to make changes in your signature line.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wix are very well made.

If the Delco has a plastic cage inside the center, it's an E-core filter. I do not like those.

ok so i bought the delco filter, half the price of the wix. it is an e-core, as all acdelcos are these days.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

ok so i bought the delco filter, half the price of the wix. it is an e-core, as all acdelcos are these days.

Not all AC Delcos are E Cores. I know the PF64 filter that I use on my Corvette is not an e core design.

I lifted info about E-cores from a GM truck forum a few years ago.

The PF48E primary performance improvement relates to the relief valve design. The PF48E has a compression spring loaded nylon poppet that outperforms the current valve design.

Other benefits:
•Element integrity (collapse strength) is increased by 25%. This is because the nylon cores are perfectly round.
•Filter media, which is unchanged, is no longer potted in adhesive which blocks filtration area at each end.
•Filtration performance (efficiency and capacity) are both unchanged.
•The filter shell configuration is unchanged. Existing cap wrenches continue to fit.
•Hydrostatic burst and impulse fatigue performance are both unchanged.
•Relief valve performance is much improved and statistically more stable.
•Hot oil durability is improved by elimination of adhesive.
•Cold weather performance (-30 C) with dexos 1 oil is excellent.
•Improved level of robustness to water accumulation.
•Nitrile material used in the sealing gasket and the anti-drainback valve is unchanged.
•PF48E filters meet performance specifications as defined by GM Powertrain.
•PF48E filters will be used in OE production in the near future.

The photo below shows the improvement to the cage.
27zls94.jpg

ACDelco PF1250-15125ES-Old vs New style cage
Side by side old cage on the left with new cage on the right. The new cage has 8 verticle supports and 7 rings to support the media. This design change reduces the window size and the vertical supports can also lend support to the media. A design with reduced risk of media blowout. I prefer this design over the old one.

Cavemen kept improving the wheel carved from a stone after a few failures.
wink.gif

No issues with the non e-core PF64 filter I run on my LT4 CTS-V. Our Escalade is covered under Cadillac's premium care maintenance program and they run the PF63E Delco filter. At 33K miles and 5 oil changes later, no issues with the PF63E, but if any damage occurs due to the e-core oil filter, GM will have to cover it as I only take the car to the dealer for all it's maintenance and they have all the records. They can't deny anything warranty wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back