V power NITRO vs Redline SI-1/Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
this question has probably been ansered in the past, but i wanna see some updated conversation.
In my area (we dont have Chevron) so it seems like Shell VPOWER Nitro is the best cleaning premium fuel, but the question is, what is better at cleaning? a tank of regular 87 octane gas with a bottle of redline si-1/pea based cleaner or just a tank of shell v power nitro. Here in canada both combos are about the same price in the end. Curious to see which one has stronger additives to clean fuel injectors/fuel system

thanks!

A tank of regular 87 octane gas with a bottle of Redline SI-1 cleaner will have a more concentrated level of cleaning solution than will the Shell gasoline from the pump.

VPower is just extra nitrogen or something right? I would think a purpose formulated cleaner like the Redline would work better.

I think it might be safe to say that any quality, concentrated fuel system cleaner with PEA will work better than a tank of Shell V Nitro or any other gasoline alone. For Nitro, Shell references 7x the Federal detergent requirement in their gas....and most others do pretty much the same thing.

I'm sure Techron,, S-1, or the higher Gumout product would do a significantly better job than gas alone. Maintenance amounts ( gas ) versus cleaning amounts ( concentrated product ).

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
VPower is just extra nitrogen or something right? I would think a purpose formulated cleaner like the Redline would work better.

Any Amine chemistry (such as PEA) has a specific Nitrogen content.

I believe 1 bottle of si1 diluted over 100gallons of non toptier fuel (per their old recommendation) will still be equiv or stronger than the shell vpower "nitro" concentration.
So split your bottle into 4 or more doses.

Visualize it like dishwashing soap. they dump maybe a 5gallon bucket into the whole tanker. whereas you dump 1 bottle into your 20gallon ta k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A tank of regular 87 octane gas with a bottle of Redline SI-1 cleaner will have a more concentrated level of cleaning solution than will the Shell gasoline from the pump.

Yes, I use almost exclusively Shell premium, but I still run some SI-1 or some Regane two or three times a year.

I use V-Power and then add 5 ounces of SI-1 to a tankful (~12.5 gallons) on a semi-regular basis (I figure maybe, just maybe it might help keep the DI injector tips a little bit cleaner?
21.gif
).

(My car will definitely perform better on the higher octane, but NOT get any better mileage of course.)

IF I had a corn likker station any distance less than 50 miles away one way, I would even add enough E85 to make an E25/93 mix, as it does provide a little more power than stock, yup even on the factory tune, albeit yes, the mileage DOES drop somewhat due to the lower energy content of the E85 added.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think it might be safe to say that any quality, concentrated fuel system cleaner with PEA will work better than a tank of Shell V Nitro or any other gasoline alone. For Nitro, **Shell references 7x the Federal detergent requirement in their gas**....and most others do pretty much the same thing.

I'm sure Techron,, S-1, or the higher Gumout product would do a significantly better job than gas alone. Maintenance amounts ( gas ) versus cleaning amounts ( concentrated product ).

FYI: I have seen the same from some other gas selling joint (Costco?)...while it is a true statement most likely, it is also true of any gasoline which is in the Top Tier club.

Basically the difference between the MDR gas (Minimum Detergent Required, or whatever the actual name is; too lazy to look it up) and the Top Tier formulation is approximately 7 times as much detergent in Top Tier over the standard stuff.

So yes, these claims of wonderous detergent-istic gasoline blends from the various stations really can be believed, so long as you keep in mind the fact laid out in the claim itself is actually mandated by membership in the top tier club and thus that same claim is true of all TT member gasoline brands.

If Vpower NITRO is so good why cant you buy it in the bottle?

If they are pouring 5 gallon buckets of it in tankers why dont they bottle it and sell it?

Usually when you dose according to the bottle (1oz/gal)
that is about 10x as concentrated as top tier fuel at the pump.

this is a generalization only.

AAP has 32oz techron concentrate for 8.49$

you could do a maintenance dose of 1oz/10 gallons if you think your fuel is low on additives (not-top tier etc)

That would be 160 gallons treated or about 50cents per 10gallon

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think it might be safe to say that any quality, concentrated fuel system cleaner with PEA will work better than a tank of Shell V Nitro or any other gasoline alone. For Nitro, **Shell references 7x the Federal detergent requirement in their gas**....and most others do pretty much the same thing.

FYI: I have seen the same from some other gas selling joint (Costco?)...while it is a true statement most likely, it is also true of any gasoline which is in the Top Tier club.

Basically the difference between the MDR gas (Minimum Detergent Required, or whatever the actual name is; too lazy to look it up) and the Top Tier formulation is approximately 7 times as much detergent in Top Tier over the standard stuff.

So yes, these claims of wonderous detergent-istic gasoline blends from the various stations really can be believed, so long as you keep in mind the fact laid out in the claim itself is actually mandated by membership in the top tier club and thus that same claim is true of all TT member gasoline brands.

Yep...that was my point that quality gasolines of any stripe are much more the same than different in detergency and the gas itself ( Chevron for example ) has small maintenance amounts of the cleaner versus using the aftermarket products like S-1 or Techron. A tank of Top Tier gas ( in this case Shell V Nitro ) doesn't somehow equal the equivalent cleaning power of a dose of good concentrated fuel system cleaner...which I think was the OPs question.

hhaah yeah seems like people heard me wrong.
im just wondering is it better to do a full tank of v power nitro or a tank of regular 87 + redline si-1?

thanks!!

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
If Vpower NITRO is so good why cant you buy it in the bottle?

If they are pouring 5 gallon buckets of it in tankers why dont they bottle it and sell it?

Think this through and it should become clear. What are the effects if they put the additive for sale?
Its a business decision to protect the branding of their fuel and support their franchised stations.
if you could buy the additive you would then fill up at a non shell station. Shell believes it is more valuable to sell fuel rather than additives.

it is the same decision why for example you cannot obtain standalone big mac sauce (outside of very promo) or chick fil a sauce.

Originally Posted By: apollo18
im just wondering is it better to do a full tank of v power nitro or a tank of regular 87 + redline si-1?

I think Mola got you correctly and answered accordingly. As I mentioned, despite me running Shell V-Power NiTRO + all the time, I still toss in some Red Line or Regane in every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back