Who makes TRD Toyota Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the trigger and bought a 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road. Researching maintenance requirements for down the road and researching oil filters.

Leaning towards the TRD filter for one year change intervals of 4000-8000 miles a year.

Who manufactures this filter and what is the consensus compared to other top filters. I was looking for a Fram XG version, but looks like it doesn't exist.

Also leaning towards Mobil1 AFE 0w-20. 1st oil change will be at 6 month, then 1x a year after.

Pic of vehicle I bought.

Last edited:
The ones I have used in the past look an awful lot like the Mobil-1 filters. M1 use to be made by Champ. I use the cartridge filters and when placed side by side with the M1 the only difference was the color of the media.

Last edited:
It’s a beauty and a great vehicle.
Changing the oil and filter for the first few times is a bear because of the shrouds and the drippy cartridge filter, but you’ll get the hang of it.
Congratulations!

The engine will most likley out last your ownership with any major brand oil and filter. Toyotas are very nice , I have owned several over the decades.

They do have 2 years free maintenance.

However, I do all my own work. I have never had anyone else ever change my oil in any of my cars or OPE in my whole life.

I am not going to start now even if the 1st 2 years are free.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
They do have 2 years free maintenance.

However, I do all my own work. I have never had anyone else ever change my oil in any of my cars or OPE in my whole life.

I am not going to start now even if the 1st 2 years are free.

I'm the same way. Enjoy the new 4Runner.

I just bought a 2017 Tundra and I'm the same way. Like the knowing of whats going on in the truck.

Also, dealer wants the truck for 1 1/2 to 2 days for the ToyotaCare maintenance.

Originally Posted By: mpersell
Also, dealer wants the truck for 1 1/2 to 2 days for the ToyotaCare maintenance.

Make an appt. and it takes them 45 mins max.

Can't believe people are turning down free, full syn oil that gets excellent results per UOA. Maybe they went on vacation and coconut fell on head.

Congratulations, nice rig! Should last you many years....Can't answer your question. Mitsu filters are made in Thailand.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: mpersell

Make an appt. and it takes them 45 mins max.

Can't believe people are turning down free, full syn oil that gets excellent results per UOA. Maybe they went on vacation and coconut fell on head.

I have relatives that work in a service dept. It is my opinion that SOME of the lube techs are on vacation while at work and the coconut hit THEM on the head. LOL
That's why I would turn down the "free" OC's.

I'm with Gebo, I've seen too many cars that were serviced only at dealers and the oil pan drain plugs were either missing the washer or the threads were partially stripped from being over torqued.

Last edited:
Dealers usually have the most inexperienced techs doing the oil changes. Too many horror stories - not worth the risk for me. Not to mention the possibility of some guy taking a joy ride.

Since you do your own changes, might be worth a try to have them supply you with a couple OEM filters and oil instead..

I've used TRD filters, and while they are good, the OEM filters should be plenty sufficient.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
SatinSilver said:
mpersell said:
I have relatives that work in a service dept. It is my opinion that SOME of the lube techs are on vacation while at work and the coconut hit THEM on the head. LOL
That's why I would turn down the "free" OC's.

The free service if done at all is done with the cheapest oil/filters the dealer can get away with. Not an incentive to me.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
... The free service if done at all is done with the cheapest oil/filters the dealer can get away with. ...
Reputable dealers use TGMO and OEM filters.

You're doing good by not letting the dealer touch it. There's just too much to go wrong with these for me to want some tech so much as touching it. 4 bolts need to be taken off the front skid to get to the filter. There's also 2 spacers with this. There's also a small access panel that needs removed to get to the drain plug.

(Assuming it's the same as a 2015.)
Toyota filter (Non TRD):
04152-YZZA5

Toyota crush washer:
90430-12031

I used strictly 0w20 at 10k OCI's, but I am going to step it up to 5w30, which is allowable according to the manual.

TL;DR: It's a sporty truck. Don't let anyone touch it.
I had the honor of meeting one of these techs a while back. According to them, the traditional Toyota rear axle is non serviceable and a 4500 lb SUV with a ~260 4.0 V6 and 4.10 gearing is as fast as a Ford Raptor with a 411 horse V8...
I also didn't care for how they sped the thing through the parking lot and broke the tires loose on asphalt. (Yes I ended up saying something to the man who did it.) Good dealer to work with, but I really hope they don't have "average" 'Yoda techs working for them. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Very nice rig! Honestly, I wouldn't pay the premium price for a TRD filter, it's a name you're paying for. The OEM filter would handle that OCI no problem. Or you may be able to get a Fram Ultra for half the price of the TRD and just as good or better filtration quality. Although I'm not sure there is a FU for Toyota cartridge setups yet.

Those filters are a bit of a bear to change though as stated above! Make sure to buy the filter socket set before you dive in on it yourself or you will be reinventing all sorts of new cuss words when it comes time to change! I believe you can buy the kit pretty reasonable through most chain auto stores, as I wouldn't buy directly from Toyota and get shafted on price. The lube shop I used to work at had a no name brand set of filter sockets for Toyota cartridges that were plenty of durable and changed hundreds of them without trouble in the two years I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back