I wanna change banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with Chase for my checking account for 15 years.. They have always gladly accepted money for deposits but it is just so difficult to get a loan with them sometimes and they are now going to start charging me 12.00/month for my checking account. I understand credit unions etc. and may look into them.

I am tired of just being a number with the huge banks. I am 55 and dont qualify for senior rates yet..

What do you guys think? Where do you bank?

I bank with USAA and. Navy Federal Credit Union.

None of the charges like you describe. Free checking. USAA even reimburses me for every ATM transaction fee (up to 10 per month) when I withdraw from a non-USAA bank. No international services charges on my credit card.

Time to ditch the banks that charge too much.

Check around and do some shopping. My local savings and loan provides free checking for age 55+ folks. Some also do free checking if you have your paycheck deposited there through auto deposit.

There are also credit unions who provide free checking with a minimum balance requirement. On line banks like Everbank and Ally have checking account options depending on your personal needs.

I'd talk to the manager of whatever branch you use.
I'd tell them that unless they can give you free checking you're going to have to change banks after all this time.
Bet that $12.00/mo gets waived.
Banks are all about fee income these days since their loan portfolios aren't yielding a whole lot at current rates.
They will often try to levy these junk fees and then back down when those fees are questioned.
As an individual, changing banks isn't a big deal.
With the twelve local accounts I manage at work, it would be a nightmare but fortunately our current bank has been good about bringing their fees down to a competitive level.

I wish I could join USAA.. I have no military ties in my family tho... Any way around this?

My employer's Credit Union is located one block from my office.

When I have to go there, which is rare anymore... I can walk, and be back at my desk in about 20 minutes.

I like Discover. I have a credit card, checking, and savings account with them. Their checking is free and you have access to something like 60,000 ATMs for no charge. And their savings account rate is pretty decent at 1.5%.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
You pay for checking? Time to leave.

+1. As soon as Bank of Amerryca started charging a monthly fee for my supposedly free check account (with a monthly direct deposit) and without giving me any notice, I closed all accounts with them and found a credit union.

I have been happy with my Boeing CU for 45 years and my former Seattle Federal Telco CU and now Sound CU for 49 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back