Thoughts on Vredestein Quatrac 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm researching tires for my '15 Malibu and found the Vredestein Quatrac 5 on Tirerack.com at a very nice price. It's the first time I've heard of this brand and found that it's a European brand. Anyone familiar with this brand? Are they a decent company that makes good tires?

I was going to go with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus but after seeing the reviews and price of both, I'm leaning more toward the Vrederstein Quatrac 5.

Thoughts on the two?

Siped all-season tire
thumbsup2.gif

I have seen them here and there, and they never showed any signs of abnormal wear. They seem to be highly regarded by users online. Looking at the speed rating and tread design, I'd pass on the Pirellis for this tire.

They are quality tires. In fact, Vredestein invented the all-season with the 3-peak sign about 25 years ago with the original Quatrac in 1993, beating Nokian's original WR by many years
smile.gif

If you're going to use an all-season and snow traction is important, and you can't or won't use separate winter tires, then get the Quatrac 5 or another all-season with the 3-peak, like the Goodyear Weatherready, Toyo Celsius, or Nokian's WRG3 (or the upcoming WRG4)

But between the two tires you're considering, easily the Vredestein
thumbsup2.gif

CR rated them well but behind the other all weather tires mentioned above. But they will be a step ahead of the Pirellis in bad weather. A very good tire esp being located in MI. If you're ok with the price then I wouldn't hesitate.

I put a set on the Clubman. They are an excellent Grand Touring all-season tire.

Not many reviews on tire rack for that tire , but the reviews that are there are from northern states with tough winters and wet springs and they get good reviews for snow and wet performance. Lots more reviews and test results from European sites and the tire get pretty good ratings.From what I can gather it is a above average all season tire that is above ave for snow and wet performance. For that price point it is probably hard to beat them. The German "tiretest" dot com rates them pretty well.

Thank you for all the replies and advice. Looks like I will give the Quatrac 5 a try over the Pirelli.

As Slacktide_Bitog says, I AM looking for an AS tire with good performance in snow and wet conditions. At $108 (Vredestein) vs. $156 (Pirelli), I guess it's a no-brainer
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

Look at Walmart from pricing and store pickup, they always beat tirerack. Vredestein were a great tire, I had them on my 65 Lotus Cortina in the 70's but they are now owned by Apollo of India, I have no idea if the quality has been effected.
Personally I would go with the Pirelli, I have them on a few cars and in the NE we get plenty snow, they are no problem on a FWD car.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Cinturato-P7-All-Season-Plus-225-55R17-97H/43082034

Last edited:
Tirerack did a review of hem
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

Summary: Vredestein Quatrac 5 (Grand Touring All-Season, 225/50R17 98Y)

What We Liked: Impressive and easy to drive in the wet, fast in the dry.
What We'd Improve: Could use a reduction in both tread noise and impact noise.
Conclusion: A good Grand Touring All-Season tire with very few compromises.

Also keep in mind that they are rated much lower treadwear than the equivalent Pirelli, only 45k vs 70k for my tire size.

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
Thank you for all the replies and advice. Looks like I will give the Quatrac 5 a try over the Pirelli.

As Slacktide_Bitog says, I AM looking for an AS tire with good performance in snow and wet conditions. At $108 (Vredestein) vs. $156 (Pirelli), I guess it's a no-brainer
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

I don't know that comparing a tire with a 45K mile warranty (Vrederstein) to a 70K mile tire (Pirelli P7) makes a lot of sense. The Vredersteins may be everything you're looking for, as long as you're not looking for a long tread life.

Originally Posted By: khittner

I don't know that comparing a tire with a 45K mile warranty (Vrederstein) to a 70K mile tire (Pirelli P7) makes a lot of sense. The Vredersteins may be everything you're looking for, as long as you're not looking for a long tread life.

Back in 2005 when I bought my Corolla brand new, I had an experience with the OEM tires (BF Goodrich, can't remember model). I was driving my wife and infant daughter at the time and was messing with the radio when I looked up and saw the vehicle in front of me was at a dead stop turning left. The road condition was wet from the rain we just had. I locked the brakes but my car did not slow down one bit. I had to release the brakes and go around that vehicle or else I would have rear-ended it at 55 mph.

After that experience (scare), safety in wet (and snow) became my top priority in tires. Thank you for pointing out to me about the treadwear of both tires, but buying new tires 4/5 years is much more affordable to me than a hospital stay or worse, funeral costs.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Look at Walmart from pricing and store pickup, they always beat tirerack. Vredestein were a great tire, I had them on my 65 Lotus Cortina in the 70's but they are now owned by Apollo of India, I have no idea if the quality has been effected.
Personally I would go with the Pirelli, I have them on a few cars and in the NE we get plenty snow, they are no problem on a FWD car.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pirelli-Cinturato-P7-All-Season-Plus-225-55R17-97H/43082034

Ohhh thank you for the Walmart suggestion. There is a Walmart supercenter in my town, but never saw a garage. I need to look into that. It's good to hear that you have no issues with Pirellis in the snow.

Update: Have the Vredestein Quatrac 5 installed on my '15 Malibu. My very first impression as I was driving it home. . .it is extremely QUIET. It was just me and the hum of the engine (radio off) and all I can hear is the subtle hum of the engine and no noise at all from the tires.

The tires look fantastic. Nice big lettering and the sidewall is stiff unlike the Continental TrueContact sidewall I have on my Corolla.

The ride is smooth, but couldn't tell the difference from the OEM Goodyear Assurance.

The steering response is incredibly sensitive. One small turn of the steering wheel and the car responds very quickly and the steering is lighter from a stand still.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied & impressed with these tires. Don't know if it matters to you guys, but it is made in the Netherlands.

Originally Posted By: Trav

The takeover by Apollo seems to have had a significant impact on quality. Suddenly, Apollo has one or two tyres that perform surprisingly well in tyre tests.
grin.gif

I would not worry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back