Toyota Aygo - 6 monthly/2.5k oil only changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from the UK.

Our 2008 Toyota Aygo (1.0 litre 3 cylinder city car) owned since new is hitting the 100,000-mile mark. At the beginning of its life it was looked after by Toyota O+F change every 10k (UK Spec Servicing), it has since loosely followed Toyota UK’s recommendations via various independents.
We have now decided the car is a keeper for the foreseeable future and I am toying with 5k intervals, as recommended by the Haynes Manual.

Current driving style/stats for the car:
90% City driving with a lot of cold starts and start/stop traffic however only 5k a year is likely to be covered. The car is mostly running on the cheapest supermarket fuel (95ron).
Given the simple nature of the car, yearly/5000mile oil changes are carried out by a Quicklube/Fastfit type outfit with 5W-30 API SL spec oil (Fuchs) with a Mann filter.

Would the car benefit from additional 6 month/2500mile changes?

If an interim 6 month/2.5k change is implemented, would an oil only change suffice, I because I can vacuum the oil out, but the filter is inaccessible from the top?
The cost is £12 (DIY PELA Pump with Shell Helix AG 5W30 API SN) vs £38-42 (Fast Fit Oil and Filter Change with Fuchs oil API SL and Mann Filter as mentioned above). Would the benefits be worth over twice the price? Additionally, I would also be putting in an API SN grade oil vs SL from the quick lube.

Any other tips are most welcome.

Thanks,

LL

No. It is mildly severe service, but as long as it gets up to op temp, not really beating on it much. I'd use a quality syn-blend oil and decent filter - oversized if one will fit. Adds a bit of total system volume and more media area. Service both once a year, and cruze on
smile.gif

I'd prolly add a full can of BG109 100 miles before the change interval and let it do its thing, then change. Should keep it nicely clean and get out any condensation residue (varnish) that is forming
smile.gif

Last edited:
You could probably diy oil every other year and have the quick lube change the oil and filter every other year.

In other words, run the filter two years.

Wifey had an Aygo for eleven years. Very reliable if perhaps a bit on the noisy side. She didn't actually go anywhere in it other than work & Marks & Sparks so had just 35k on the clock when she traded it in.

Towards the end, I was changing the oil every three years. It didn't seem to suffer much. Wouldn't recommend 5k OCIs on an engine that's done 100k. All of the critical wear that was going to happen, happened in the first 30k so what are you trying to protect exactly?

BTW, the engine in the Aygo was actually designed by the nice people at Daihatsu (I had one in my Sirion) and I know the factory fill oil for Daihatsu, even back in 2006, was a 0W20. If you're looking to get maximum fuel economy out of the Aygo, that's the oil to use.

Hi Lenny, congrats on hitting the 100k mark on your little 3 banger. I'm thinking about going in the middle at 7,500 mi. with a major brand 5w30 SN synthetic and maybe a Tough Guard. JMO. Good luck!

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, there’s definitely a lot of knowledgeable heads on here. For the last 10 years, I went with whatever the dealer provided (surely they won’t get it wrong! Pah). Prior to that I would buy the recommended Castrol.

Now that I'm supplying the parts for servicing, I’ve just scratched the surface of the oil mind field.
Fully Synthetic must be used (why use anything else today?)
Viscosities – most cars run on 5W-30
API specs SN>SM>SL and higher letters are superior? And backwards compatible.

For the Aygo, I will go CharlieBauers suggestion of an Oil AND Filter change every 2 years or 10,000 miles, there is no reason why the Mann filter won’t be able to handle that, I will vacuum extract the oil during the 1 year/5k interim. 2.5k mile oil changes seemed like overkill using fully synthetic and save some cash.

Can you guys please recommend which of following API SN Oils would be best (engine longevity) for the Aygo.
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30 (£4 per litre)
Gulf Ultrasynth X 0W20 (£7.80 per litre) – this would need to return a 2%/1mpg (UK) improvement in fuel economy, to financially break even.

Thanks,

LL

Thanks madeej! I think another 25k could be on the cards. I'm sure your suggestion would be fine, but 18 months between oil changes
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Wifey had an Aygo for eleven years. Very reliable if perhaps a bit on the noisy side. She didn't actually go anywhere in it other than work & Marks & Sparks so had just 35k on the clock when she traded it in.

Towards the end, I was changing the oil every three years. It didn't seem to suffer much. Wouldn't recommend 5k OCIs on an engine that's done 100k. All of the critical wear that was going to happen, happened in the first 30k so what are you trying to protect exactly?

BTW, the engine in the Aygo was actually designed by the nice people at Daihatsu (I had one in my Sirion) and I know the factory fill oil for Daihatsu, even back in 2006, was a 0W20. If you're looking to get maximum fuel economy out of the Aygo, that's the oil to use.

Wow, every 3 years!! As layman, I understood that the older an engine got, the less tolerant it become and the more attention it needed.

Please see 2 posts above for my request for advise on the best oil out of the two.

Thanks

I've gone up to 5 years on seldom driven trucks. Oil does not age. It gets contaminated by by-products of combustion.

So a UOA is the only way to know if your oil is contaminated or not. If not, leave it in place and just drive on...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LexusLenny
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

Wow, every 3 years!! As layman, I understood that the older an engine got, the less tolerant it become and the more attention it needed.

Please see 2 posts above for my request for advise on the best oil out of the two.

Thanks

As regards changing oil every three years, the wife's annual mileage after she retired was ridiculously low (646 miles once!). Engine oil isn't like yoghurt. It doesn't 'go off' just sat in the sump, so just keep it going until you've racked up a few thousand miles.

Also I'm not sure I'd say that older, high mileage engines warrant better oils. The highest rate of wear you'll ever see typically occurs in the very first OCI, as the engine beds in. After that, the rate of wear progressively drops off. Having said that, I analysed the first used oil that came out of my Daihatsu engine and the wear metals were hardly detectable.

There's an argument that says as engines age (as bearing & bore clearances widen) that you might want to use a thicker oil, but with modern engine designs, especially ones that don't get thrashed (I'm assuming you treat the Aygo with respect for the elderly), it's not something I'd personally worry about.

I sort of got my oil free but if I had to pay for it, in your circumstances, I might advise 'buy the cheapest SN oil', run it out for 10k & check if it needs topping up occasionally. Just like there are no truly bad cars these days (if you grew up in the 70s, you would know what a bad car was!) there are no truly bad oils. The stuff you pick up as a supermarket own-brand oil is 100% kosher and could very easily be identical to the equivalent, mid-tier stuff you get at a much higher price from the big boys. If you don't like supermarket stuff, I might suggest you have a look at Eurocar Parts as they always have something or other on offer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back