'16-'17 VW Golf SportWagen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

Give me the goods and the bads about these.
And useful accessories
In AT (It is an AISIN?).
For the moment and for the estimated 7-8 years and 75kmiles of ownership I think it should be good.

It also has better visibility all around because of the lower door height (compared with the Prius v wagon, which has worse visibility than my Mazda5).
And 15" wheels. (compared with the current trend of 20"+)

The only thing holding me is the fact they are made in Mexico, compared with the Tennessee Pasat's.

But a wagon form suits my needs better right now.

Also how do you prevent the DI carbon? Techron every 2 filups? or the VW special gas additive?

And since this is BITOG, what oils beside Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40? Change at 10kmiles (factory specs) or 5kmiles for peace of mind?

I can't think of any negatives. It's an awesome car.

FWD is an Aisin AT, AWD is a BW DSG.

The carbon build up "concern" is not really a big deal, especially if you plan on cutting it loose before 100k miles.

I had a '17 sportwagen 4motion (DSG trans, awd) for about 4,000 miles. I liked almost everything about it. I sold mine due to some driveshaft balance issue the dealer refused to address. The neat thing was I didn't lose any money because of the sale price (was about 21k).

Short of that major issue, not much bad to say. It handled well, good power, seats were very comfortable (heated seats). The soft touch steering wheel material was wearing kind of funny in spots early on. Dealer said the soft touch did that...

The infotainment is great, apple car play and android auto. Don't spring for a model with GPS. When I was looking it was offered but pretty unnecessary given the carplay and droid auto.

The cargo room was also terrific. Huge difference from the standard golf.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The carbon build up "concern" is not really a big deal, especially if you plan on cutting it loose before 100k miles.

I wouldn't buy a car if I was to dump it before 100K miles. Why bother buying it in the first place...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I wouldn't buy a car if I was to dump it before 100K miles. Why bother buying it in the first place...

Well fortunately you're not the one buying it.

OP said his plan was to keep it for 7-8 years and 75k miles, so...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

OK, Then, Cash/Certified Funds or Loan?

P.S. My current 10 years old Yaris has 63,800 miles. It would be around 59k if not for couple trips. I think 75k/8 years miles is a good estimate for my situation. Also I wanted a Golf for probably close to 24 years.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Hello BITOGers,

Give me the goods and the bads about these.
And useful accessories
In AT (It is an AISIN?).
For the moment and for the estimated 7-8 years and 75kmiles of ownership I think it should be good.

It also has better visibility all around because of the lower door height (compared with the Prius v wagon, which has worse visibility than my Mazda5).
And 15" wheels. (compared with the current trend of 20"+)

The only thing holding me is the fact they are made in Mexico, compared with the Tennessee Pasat's.

But a wagon form suits my needs better right now.

Also how do you prevent the DI carbon? Techron every 2 filups? or the VW special gas additive?

And since this is BITOG, what oils beside Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40? Change at 10kmiles (factory specs) or 5kmiles for peace of mind?

Why is the fact that its made in Mexico a concern?
confused.gif

Just curious..

Not to change the subject but I find it nearly impossible to locate a regular ‘ol Golf, not a GTI that’s in stock at the dealer. You can configure a Golf S with stick on the web site, just can’t find one ( at least I can’t ). I’d take a base Golf with stick in a heart beat. Make it red with black interior....

Originally Posted By: knoas
confused.gif

Just curious..

Don't laugh:
butterflies in my head:
-have been some reports (older cars) of problems. But in person the GSW it sounds and feel pretty solid.
-I would have wanted a german car made in Germany or US. I also understand the Mexico plant is VW's second in the world as size, so, again, butterflies in my head....

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Not to change the subject but I find it nearly impossible to locate a regular ‘ol Golf, not a GTI that’s in stock at the dealer. You can configure a Golf S with stick on the web site, just can’t find one ( at least I can’t ). I’d take a base Golf with stick in a heart beat. Make it red with black interior....

Red and Manual (I'm not sure how many miles from your zipcode....)

confused.gif

Just curious..

Don't laugh:
butterflies in my head:
-have been some reports (older cars) of problems. But in person the GSW it sounds and feel pretty solid.
-I would have wanted a german car made in Germany or US. I also understand the Mexico plant is VW's second in the world as size, so, again, butterflies in my head....

I get the fear. It would be nice also if VWs were made only in Germany. But I guess freight costs would be rough. So far mechanically and otherwise my mexican GTI has held up.

Lately I don't take US made to mean any better. My Mustang was assembled here, and had some pretty sad quality control issues. My Nissan was also built here and the quality isn't something that stands out.

Modern assembly with robots and automation has changed the equation of assembly location. If the VW plant in Mexico has the quality control in place then it doesn’t matter.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
confused.gif

Just curious..

Don't laugh:
butterflies in my head:

I get the fear. It would be nice also if VWs were made only in Germany. But I guess freight costs would be rough. So far mechanically and otherwise my mexican GTI has held up.

Lately I don't take US made to mean any better. My Mustang was assembled here, and had some pretty sad quality control issues. My Nissan was also built here and the quality isn't something that stands out.

Thank you!
Your buying thread, Dareo's and Surfstar's GSW stick/manual threads also served as my research info also.

We love our 2012 Mazda 5. We have 95K on it now and it just has been very comfortable and reliable. Love the looks of the Sportwagon, but wife and I would really miss the sliding doors and all that room. Handling is awesome too.

When you test drove the Sportwagen, did you look at the rear seat legroom by any chance? There was a nice certified used one here in Houston a month or so ago that I was tempted to test drive and purchase to get more space for my kid and wife when she rides back there. However, when I looked at the specs online at cars.com, it seems it has about 2" less rear leg room than the Civic hatchback and 4" less than a new Accord or CRV so it wouldn't be much of an improvement over my Volt. I was a bit surprised but would be interested to know if the specs were right or if it is roomier in person.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
We love our 2012 Mazda 5. We have 95K on it now and it just has been very comfortable and reliable. Love the looks of the Sportwagon, but wife and I would really miss the sliding doors and all that room. Handling is awesome too.

2013, 64k miles. With good tires is planted. The only time the back moved was when it had the OEM tires at around 24k-26kmiles.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
When you test drove the Sportwagen, did you look at the rear seat legroom by any chance? There was a nice certified used one here in Houston a month or so ago that I was tempted to test drive and purchase to get more space for my kid and wife when she rides back there. However, when I looked at the specs online at cars.com, it seems it has about 2" less rear leg room than the Civic hatchback and 4" less than a new Accord or CRV so it wouldn't be much of an improvement over my Volt. I was a bit surprised but would be interested to know if the specs were right or if it is roomier in person.

I'm 6'2" with an inseam of 30-32". I sit and adjusted the front seats (yes, both), then sit in the back. Still left with 2" before my knees.

But yes, a Civic/Accord may have more interior space. Know this from SIL's '13 Civic.

Couple alternatives:
-2015-2017 Prius v (The wagon, Is like a Mazda5 in hybrid form): it will not beat your Volt in fun factor....
-2012-2015 Mazda5: Not the skyactiv engine, not a hydrid, but it has sliding back doors.

Sportwagen has better visibility all around (back, pillars, doors height)

I'd take the Golf any day.

Mexico VW plant was the last MFG of the air-cooled bugs. They are the ones that came up with the hydraulic lifter arrangement that finally cured the air-cooled valve adjustment/burnt valve issues for good.

Anyone in the know is buying Mexican made/reman'd air-cooled replacement engines for Bug repairs. They are superior
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with the GTI package. It's what most USA drivers want. So, it's what most dealers stock.

Order online and it will come as requested. You'll just have some delay
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back