What oil should I use? (2013 Tundra 5.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start doing my own maintenance on my truck. Naturally I’m on this forum to ask about what kind of engine oil or oils would be best for my truck. My truck is a 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 liter V8. My owners manual says that I should be using SAE 0W-20 ILSAC GL-5 multigrade engine oil. I drive the truck hard and fast. Most of my driving is short trips around town or to work. Lots of stop and go in urban and suburban setting. Think driving the kids to school and going to work and back. Occasional highway driving, like a few times a week. I live Massachusetts so, plenty of winter driving as well. So my question is what are good quality choices for engine oils and filters. Any help and info would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

In California Toyota uses the 0w20 in them. I owned a 2012 Tundra for 5 years and heard nothing but good things about the Toyota brand 0w20. I think I heard it was made by Mobil.

I'm pretty sure the Bitog consensus will be Toyota 0w20 better known as TGMO, highly touted here. Wouldn't be my first choice but "if ya can't beat 'em join 'em"

I have the same exact truck. Any major brand 0w-20 will do. How many miles a year do you drive? Change oil 1 year/10000 miles. How many miles on it now? Anything over 50,000 miles, I’d do a drain/fill of trans, coolant, change front and rear differential fluids, and transfer case fluid. Be sure to grease drivetrain also. All videos can be found in YouTube. Check out my thread from last week: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4671234/1
There’s some good info in there if you sort out the b.s. I have info for a custom oil filter wrench in that thread and another member shared what he uses. Like I said, check out YouTube and make sure you feel comfortable doing this work and have the necessary equipment to do the job safely above all else. I like using my 16000 lb rated rhinoramps with a jack stand for extra protection.

I have a 2011 Tundra with the 5.7L. My owners manual calls for 5w-20 or 0w-20 but the 5w-20 is listed first. It is even listed first on the oil fill cap. I have run several different 5w-20 & 0w-20 synthetics and even ran 5w-20 conventional with the Toyota Care when the truck was new. I can't really tell much of a difference in any of them. Lately I have been buying Mobil 1 5w-20 as I found some pretty good deals on it.

Ford raised their trucks to 5w-30, I don't think you could go wrong with 5/30. The owners manual is a recommendation only. The mfg recommendation is also based on fuel economy. What you could also do is Google your engine number and see what the recommendation is in other countries. My guess it would be a 30 or 40wt

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Toyota oil or Mobil 1. They are the same oil.

This^

Use a TRD oil filter too.

Last edited:
The consensus here is that Toyota Genuine Motor oil is excellent and you should stick with it. That's what is in my Tundra now, as it's still getting the oil changed under ToyotaCare.

Once out of warranty, I would stick with a synthetic that meets Toyota's specs. Any good 0W20 will do.

My impression of this engine, however, is that it'll be fine on just about any good synthetic. If you wanted to run it on a 0W30 or even a 5W30, the Tundra forum members have all done so without any adverse effect.

My engine is a flex fuel, so the interval is halved. 5,000 normal use. 2,500 for severe service. I guess the ethanol can create more acid in the crankcase? I'm really not certain...

In response to your question I drive about 10,000 miles a year, with about 53,400ish miles on it right now. Funny you mention that I just changed the front and rear differential fluids and transfer case fluid on my last two days off. The other things you mentioned I plan on doing in the next few weeks, as well as the spark plugs. Thank you for the quick response.

Also thanks to everyone else who responded,

Once out of warranty revisit the argument of 20 vs 30 grade oils. One has been heavily influenced by CAFE mileage standards, not necessarily optimizing engine life. An important question if you intend to own this car at 150K-300K miles.

For now, other than the TGMO and equivalents, I'd lean towards a stronger 20 grade oil. The PP/QSUD are on the weaker side at 8.0-8.3 cSt at 100 deg C. The PU is 8.8. M1 is up around 8.9. My preference would be towards the 8.8-9.0 level. My daily driver was revised for 5w-20 which was a CAFE-induced change. So I use the original engineered spec of 5w-30, but use the weaker PP/QSUD which is on the lower end of the 30's (9.8-10.0).

At 10,000 miles per year, and lots of short tripping in colder weather, you might set up better for 6-8 month oil changes. Once out of warranty, running a 30 grade in the warmer months (April-October) and 20 grade in the winter is another option.

"Toyota Genuine" is any Oil that meets ILSAC GF4/GF5 in the proper grade for your climate.

That's what the Toyota TSB said when I owned Toyotas.

That way the dealer can use that $78 dollar drum of Amalie 5w30 GF4 for bulk oil changes.

That's what they do.

There is TOYOTA Labeled stuff too in the service area

Toyota doesn't make oil, Nipon Oil and Idemitsu O.E Japan.

US, IDK. was XoM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back