Level comparison....of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirelli Centurano P7 205-55-16 V (good tires) on sis' Mazda3i Touring...............760 tread wear rating
Goodyear RS-A 205-55-16 H (came with car, maligned by my friends, "ok tire"-my tire guy) on my Volvo V70 base.....240 tread wear rating

I rotated the tires on these vehicles today. There were 13,000 miles on both sets.

The Pirellis looked great. The Goodyears looked a little brittle / crumbled on the fronts' shoulders.

Pirelli is my new favorite tire. I have the p4+ all season on the elantra, holding up great. The last set of defenders barely made it to 28k.

Take tread wear rating with a grain of salt. 760 from one manufacturer does not directly compare to 240 from another manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Take tread wear rating with a grain of salt. 760 from one manufacturer does not directly compare to 240 from another manufacturer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the UTQG being "universal"?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Pirelli is my new favorite tire. I have the p4+ all season on the elantra, holding up great. The last set of defenders barely made it to 28k.

Really like the Pirelli, had a lot of them over the years and never had a bad one, they are always high on the list.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Charlie2015

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the UTQG being "universal"?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/the-truth-about-tire-treadwear/index.htm

Quote:
Treadwear grade
A government-required number that indicates a tire’s expected wear. A grade of 300 denotes a tire that will wear three times as well as a tire graded 100. But the numbers are assigned by tire manufacturers, not an independent third party.

And
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/utqg

Quote:
The rating for treadwear is a relative score given to a tire as an estimate of longevity. It is not a projected estimate of the mileage or tread life. Scores are determined by tire wear in closely controlled driving conditions. The rating for treadwear is given numerically, and is made in comparison to a reference tire given a 100. A tire that scores a 400 in treadwear should last twice as long as a tire with a 200. A comparable tire, made by a different manufacturer, may be given a score of 300.To reiterate; the scores for a comparable tire may vary from brand to brand. It is important, then, to only compare tire scores within a given brand. Actual treadwear may vary based on real-world use. Driving habits, proper air pressure, road conditions, and even climate can affect tread life.

Goodyear Assurance came on the '13 Accord and still had some thread at 80K. Rotated only once at 15K. Have about 15K on new Comfortrads. Don't intend to rotate them unless I notice unusual wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Pirelli Centurano P7 205-55-16 V (good tires) on sis' Mazda3i Touring...............760 tread wear rating
Goodyear RS-A 205-55-16 H (came with car, maligned by my friends, "ok tire"-my tire guy) on my Volvo V70 base.....240 tread wear rating

I rotated the tires on these vehicles today. There were 13,000 miles on both sets.

The Pirellis looked great. The Goodyears looked a little brittle / crumbled on the fronts' shoulders.

My daughter's '06 Mazda 3i Touring in my signature has Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+ in 205-55-16 "H"(5 yrs now) and they're great. I've also had P4's on an '04 Altima 2.5S and loved'em. Did you have a question?

Last edited:
I put P6's on Mom's Saab (9-5 SE) and they are doing well on a limited use car.
I would go for H rated tires over the "sportier" V rated.

I do have a question. At 3,700 lbs my Volvo is a heavier wagon than the Mazda3i Touring so I would ask if there's a better tire given the weight of the vehicle?
Perhaps something "stronger" than a 97H would do. Do they make 105H? How do they apportion those numbers?

OEM tires don't always compare to aftermarket:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

According to TireRack the aftermarket Goodyear RS-A has a treadwear rating of 260

Last edited:
I put P6's on Mom's Saab (9-5 SE) and they are doing well on a limited use car.
I would go for H rated tires over the "sportier" V rated.

I do have a question. At 3,700 lbs my Volvo is a heavier wagon than the Mazda3i Touring so I would ask if there's a better tire given the weight of the vehicle?
Perhaps something "stronger" than a 97H would do. Do they make 105H? How do they apportion those numbers?

Better at what ?
The numbers are load rating (higher for heavier vehicles), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back